Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 42 / 54
juliewn, Oct 9, 9:54am
I can't resist. hope you'll be Satisfied with the results. Cool Trademe name you have there. the nicest I've seen on Trademe. I hope you enjoy the bread. it's delicious.

juliewn, Oct 9, 1:31pm
Hi Weezil. I had to laugh at your post. lol. I hope your next bread making doesn't give you a fright.

juliewn, Oct 9, 1:31pm
Hi Firefly. yes you could use the recipe. either roll the dough out to form circles or into a square or rectangle before cooking. they'll taste very good.

juliewn, Oct 9, 1:38pm
Hi Designer. I haven't used the Tasti yeast. . does the ingredients list on the side of the bottle include more than just yeast! - if so, it probably has improvers already in the mix. A yeast, like Surebake, that has improvers, is usually what is used in a breadmaker. however you could use the yeast granules (sometimes called Active Yeast) that doesn't have the improvers. When using the granules, I would place the water from your recipe (use warm water) in a bowl. Add the sugar or honey from the recipe, and the yeast granules in the same quantity as for the yeast in the recipe. stir together, cover and leave in a warm place for about 10-15 minutes, until the yeast has activated and looks frothy across the top of the liquid. Add to your breadmaker, with all the other ingredients needed, and start your breadmaker straight away. The warm water and the sugar or honey will have activated the yeast and it will have begun working as it formed the frothy topped mix, and the recipe can be continued with from there. Enjoy making your goodies. :-)

bunny51, Oct 9, 8:45pm
Tasti do 2 sorts of yeast there is the dried yeast which is for normal bread making and also breadmaker yeast which is for breadmakers I use it and have always found it as good as surebake yeast. (Use the same quantities too -1 teaspoon yeast per cup flour)

wishing, Oct 9, 11:29pm
bump Must sit and read this so not going to miss it again I have put it at the top for now.

designer_polly, Oct 10, 3:57am
thanks all, will make another loaf tonight we made lots 3 years ago when we got the machine, put it away on moving and just got it out again and the bread is not right.but I will try the trick with the yeast.thanks

wishing, Oct 10, 6:54am
Hi Guys Just made my first loaf. Will catch up on all the stuff on this tread over weekend. It is just a tiny bit doughy. Any suggestions

juliewn, Oct 10, 7:08am
Hi Wishing. it may be that there was a little too muchliquid in the recipe. is it for a breadmaker or a hand made recipe. could you post the recipe so we can help better!.

wishing, Oct 10, 7:11am
Just bought a breville and did the first white bread recipe. Will give details if you want. Increased tbsp by 1 tsp. Not complaining though as it is lovely. Just want perfection but considering it is my first it is great.

wishing, Oct 10, 7:12am
They say in the book mls for water is the same as gms so I weighed the water. Maybe not such a good idea

juliewn, Oct 10, 10:17am
Hello to you from New Zealand. :-) Which part of Canada are you messaging from! Hope you're enjoying being there. My Son has fallen in love with Vancouver - and a lovely young woman there :-) - has been there 18 months now and is coming home with his girlfriend for three months in Januaryto show her New Zealand. We're really looking forward to meeting her.

shiyo, Oct 11, 3:54am
I have a Panasonic that is about 15 years old at least and it is still going. Has only had a rest of a couple of years. I know of another panasonic that is proberly 17 years old and only just giving in. it looks like the bottom has finally burn out around the element. And yes have heard they are not availble in NZ now. What other brands are top of the list.

juliewn, Oct 11, 11:47am
Hi Shiyo.
How did your bread come out. hope it went well for you.

juliewn, Oct 11, 2:11pm
Hi. that's great that you're enjoying your delicious bread. isn't it a nice feeling to make bread. :-). I'd try measuring the water instead of weighing it. and hopefully that will give an even better result. Let us know how you get on. Have a lovely weekend. Cheers. Julie

evorotorua, Oct 11, 5:29pm
Over the weekend I did some experimenting with bread. I was trying to replicate a box of "cheese bread" I bought at the food show. For all intents it smelled and tasted like it had that artificial cheese in it like from instant macaroni cheese (the bright orange one). So I tried to replicate it and added a packet of that powder to the bread. Once baked, it tasted like ordinary bread! (Now, once I have an idea I don't like to stop.) So I tried a packet of dried cheese sauce with same result. Lastly I doubled the mac cheese powder and a only hint of the flavour came through. However, the bread rose incredibly for all of them. I wonder why! I know I could use grated cheese but thats not the flavour I am looking for. I also know about all the additives and extras in this artificial mix so it's not something I necessarily WANT to do but I just got this idea! What else could I try to get that commercial cheese flavour and why did they rise so well!

margotms, Oct 11, 8:35pm
Briocheand Panetonne Does anyone have a recipe for either of the above they could post!

the4whanau, Oct 11, 10:03pm
Rewana or Maori bread Does anyone have a really good recipe - I have tried all the ones I have found on the net and made a bread that has risen, but it smells (and tastes) AWFUL!An aunt gave me some of her rewana bug once to make the bread and it worked perfectly but i don't have the bug anymore.can anyone help please!

juliewn, Oct 12, 10:43am
Hi Everyone. I've just posted these in another thread, and will add here also: Uncooked yeast based bread dough
freezes very well. I would make a large batch of the dough, to the stage where you are ready to shape the dough - this can be done in a bread maker. Roll the dough (or pieces of it for individual pizza's) to the size you want, and place on a circle/square of plastic wrap covered firm cardboard or similar, and place the toppings on top. Cover firmly with plastic wrap, and place on an oven tray to keep the pizza flat, and freeze your pizza's. Once frozen, lift from the tray and wrap the whole pizza securely in plastic wrap. When wanting to use one, remove the cardboard and plastic wrap and place - still fully frozen - onto a baking paper lined *hot* oven tray. This will mean the dough will cook in the same time as the toppings. Cook until golden and the bottom of the dough has browned as much as you want it to. and enjoy!

juliewn, Oct 12, 10:44am
For garlic bread - if using your own bread dough for this, I would bake the dough in the shape(s) you prefer, until browned and cooked through. Remove from the oven and leave till completely cold - cover with a clean tea towel as it cools for a softer chewier-type crust - or leave uncovered for a crisper crust. Once cold, slice almost through to the bottom in slices as thick/thin as you want it, place garlic (or herb) butter inside the slices, wrap the whole loaf firmly in foil then in plastic wrap and freeze. Make sure the foil is wrapped with the join of the foil on top of the loaf - otherwise when the loaf is heated, butter is likely to drip through the join if it's at the bottom of the loaf. Doesn't make for an easy to clean oven my Partner found when he did this recently! To use your garlic bread - remove the plastic wrap and place the tinfoil surrounded loaf in your oven and heat through. For a crusty top, unfold the top of the foil for the last 10 minutes or so of heating - leave covered for a softer crust. Enjoy your goodies. :-)

juliewn, Oct 12, 10:45am
Your can also have some uncookedbread dough, shaped into a ball, in your freezer, well wrapped with plastic wrap. When needed, remove a piece or pieces of dough from the freezer and place onto a plate or similar. Cover loosely with plastic wrap to give room for rising, and leave to thaw at room temperature. Once the dough has thawed, and has begun to feel warmish, and is beginning to rise, knead lightly, shape as you want for bread, buns, pizza, etc. then leave to rise till doubled in size. Bake as usual. and enjoy! :-)

wishing, Oct 13, 10:23pm
Found out what I did wrong Breadmaker books do say bread improver and yeast. Our bread improver is in our yeast but you need the quantity of both. i.e. 1tsp bread improver 1 3/4tsp yeast = 2 3/4tsp yeast here

juliewn, Oct 14, 3:13pm
Hi Erica :-)

I hope all is well for you there.

I wonder if adding some mustard powder or chicken stock powder to the mac n cheese powder would enhance the flavour for you - I use mustard powder in my cheese scones to enhance the flavour so it might help with your recipe too.
Salt will also help enhance the flavour. and as the packet mix is being added to the bread recipe, the seasonings would probably be too little in comparison with the amount of flour, so may need to be increased, which would bring out flavour too.
Re the dough rising well, this is a guess. is there some kind of acidity regulator or similar in the packet mix - which could cause a chemical reaction with the yeast, causing the dough to rise well. It could be as vinegar or acidity regulators, etc. can have a chemical reaction like that - like vinegar and baking soda do.
Let us know how you get on with your cheese bread.
Cheers.
Julie

evorotorua, Oct 14, 5:24pm
Hi Julie. We are all good. Looking forward to our daughter coming home after here first year at uni. Luckily she has been fed there in the halls all this year and next year we will see what she has learned from her mother's kitchen when she goes flatting! Thanks for the suggestions about the flavours. I didn't add any salt, sugar or butter to the dough because I figured there would be enough "stuff" in the cheese mix. It is a lttle scary to see it rise so much just with what was there already! It's not really something I would do a lot but I just wanted to see if I could, if you know what I mean. Incidently the bread made fantastic toast. Mustard powder would be a good idea. I bet it would make a nice pizza base if I could stop it from rising so much.Erica

jimi9, Oct 15, 8:22pm
Hi, please can someone lend advice.I have a recipie for chocolate bread I want to make for my kiddies, but it said to bake on the sweet cycle & my machine doesn't have that, I just have a cheapie cascade. What cycle would I bake it on then! I have these settings.Basic - Quick - Rapid (which says for the preperation of sweet levened dough in my manual) - Whole Wheat - Cake - Dough & lastly- Bake. I thought maybe the rapid cycle because of what the manual said! The instructions are very basic :( Also I have other recipies I'd like to try that say to bake on the "white " cycle which I don't have either so maybe would I bake them on the basic cycle! Any advice much appreciated, thanks! =O)