Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 5 / 54
juliewn, Jan 19, 7:03am
Cheese Naan, Garlic Naan, or Herb Naan - or a mixture of any of these. . add grated cheese, or crushed or finely sliced garlic or crushed fresh or dried herbs to the batter before adding the extra flour and kneading. Continue as above. . The recipe can be easily halved too. . make some rolls or loaves with the rest of the dough.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:04am
Panini: Use the same recipe I've posted above - after kneading and standing the dough for 15 minutes, I shape some dough (about 1 1/2 cups full) into an oval, roll it flat, and place on a baking paper lined baking tray. Once the tray is full - a usual size tray will take about 4 - cover the tray with a clean cloth and leave in a warm place till doubled in size. Bake at 230°C till the bread is golden brown and it sounds hollow when tapped. . and try to stop enjoying them... :-}

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:04am
Heat an electric grill, or your oven to 230°C. On one half of the rolled out dough, place your choice of a mix of grated cheese, sliced tomato, any cooked meat or chicken, finely sliced onion, baked beans, canned spaghetti, cream style sweetcorn. bacon, ham, pineapple, gherkins, left over savoury mince or spaghetti bolognese mince sauce, etc. .

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:05am
Brush water around the edges of the rolled out dough, and fold the other half over the filling. Use a fork to press the edges together very well. No need for leaving to rise. . Place on a baking paper lined tray in your oven, or in your electric grill set on a level so it doesn't squash the fillings out. Bake or grill till golden brown and the dough is cooked. . This tastes wonderful, and each person can add fillings of their own choice. . we sometimes make these as a fun dinner, and serve it with a salad or raw veges. Yum!

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:06am
Alternatives:For Hot Cross Buns: I like to use left over almond icing from Christmas cakes - freeze till Easter. . When making Hot Cross Buns, thaw at room temp. Slice into thin sticks about 4-5cm long. When the buns are only just beginning to brown, remove the tray from the oven. Quickly place two sticks of almond icing on top of each bun to form a cross, and place the tray back in the oven to finish cooking the buns. The icing was caramelise and give a lovely sweet topping. . delicious. .

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:07am
Caramel Buns / Chelsea Buns: Melt 50gms butter with 2 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp mixed spice. Add 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup currants, sultanas or your choice of dried fruit. Roll 1/2 the dough out in a rectangle shape till about 1 cm thick. Spread with the mix. Wet the far edge of the rectangle and roll the dough up from the side nearest you. Seal the edges together. Cut into scrolls, place on a baking paper lined or greased tray and rise till doubled. Bake as above - ice if liked.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:08am
Last one! ps. . Please ask if I can help with any of the above. . Happy Baking. . Cheers. . Julie

juliewn, Jan 19, 10:56am
bumping . .

taurushat, Jan 19, 11:08am
Naan bread 3 cups plain flour, 3/4 cup milk, Salt to taste, 1 sachet (7g) dry yeast, 3 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup water. 4 tbsp oil. Take a mixing bowl put all the ingredients except the oil and mix well till it forms a smooth dough. Cover the mixing bowl with a wet cloth and leave it for 1 hour till the dough raises, now add the oil and knead well till all the oil is absorbed. Take some flour for rolling so that the dough won't stick to the surface. make 13 round portions with the dough and roll them with a rolling pin or you can pat them between both your hands. Keep warm. Now take heavy bottomed pan and fry the naans on one side, lift them and place them under the grill the un-fried side facing the heat (do not fry both sides on the pan). Grill the Naan till it is cooked and charred a bit and take it out and spread little butter over it. Repeat the procedure for all the naan.

lil_nightmare, Jan 19, 11:26am
thank you juliewn for this thread I'll have to copy and paste it. Cheers taurushat for the naan bread as well :o)

juliewn, Jan 20, 2:18am
You're mostwelcome. . Thanks Taurushat. . I'll be trying your recipe. . yum!

juliewn, Jan 23, 10:20am
Bumping for Taruawai. . :-)

lbell, Jan 23, 10:37am
Thanks Julie for taking the time to share and I will definately be giving some of these a go.

juliewn, Jan 23, 11:45pm
You're most welcome lbell. . hope you like them. .

melissarosenz, Jan 23, 11:58pm
what an awesome thread! I can't believe I nearly missed it. :)

juliewn, Jan 24, 9:43am
Thanks Melissa. . I hope lot's more recipes will be added for other yeasty goodies. . yum!

carterne, Jan 24, 5:53pm
Julie Thanks for putting the effort into this thread. I saw you mention in another thread about making a molenburg like loaf Can you give me portions off the wheats and flour etc you use for that. Love it.

juliewn, Jan 24, 6:58pm
Hi Erica. . hope you're well. . :-) I hope the thread is of help, and that lot's more recipes will be added. . I used third of a cup each of the cornmeal, kibbled wheat and wholemeal. . totalling one cup, to replace one cup of flour. I used white flour for the rest of the flour quantity needed. I had a bread maker, used it for a while then sold it. Purchased another a few years later and eventually did the same - I like making the handmade bread better :-). . Have alovely day. . Julie

juliewn, Jan 25, 8:23am
Bumping for Jrc10 :-)

lbell, Jan 27, 12:14am
I made Ham Mayo and cheese twirls today and they are perfect. Here is the recipe: 3 teaspoons yeast, 3 cups flour, 1 tblspn sugar, 2 tablspn milk powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 300ml warm water. Dough function on the bread maker. I them rolled it out into a large rectangle about 1cm thick. Spread a tablespoon of Mayo on top and chopped ham and grated cheese. Roll it up. and then slice it into twirls mine were about 1 inch thick. Place them on a greased tray and add a little extra grated cheese on top of each twirl. Bake 190% for 30 minutes. This is a huge hit with the kids and so easy to make.

wron, Jan 27, 3:14am
Just amazing! This thread that is! Thanks Juliewn - and I trust it will never die!

juliewn, Jan 27, 3:33am
Thanks Bruce. . hope it's of help. . :-) Hi lbell. . that sounds great. . :-)I have a feeling it would be good too with pesto spread over the dough, then some grated cheese. . before rolling up. . You've inspired me to head into the kitchen and make your recipe. . thanks. . and ... . yum! . .

uli, Jan 27, 5:52am
Sourdough starter recipe This is the original sourdough, made with rye. All it is is flour and water, mixed and left to attract
bacteria and wild yeasts. It is best to use freshly milled whole grains as the outside of the grain
will have lots of micro organisms attached. Mix 3 tablespoons rye flour with a little water (best is
boiled water, use lukewarm) in a screwtop jar. Stir well - it should look like a medium thick
pancake batter. Put lid on loosely or use cheesecloth to cover (to keep little flies out) and keep in
a warm place. Temperature is quite important. It should be warm but not too hot. About 20-25°C
is good. Temperatures over 40°C will kill all yeasts that you are going to attract! ! Keep this batter
stirred with a very clean fork or spoon approx. every 12hours. Then keep it quiet, nice and warm
again.

uli, Jan 27, 5:53am
Feeding the starter Once every day (after the 2nd day) add a couple of spoonsfuls of flour and a little more water in
addition to just stirring it and mix in thoroughly. Repeat the mixing and feeding for about 5 days
by which time you should have a bubbly slightly sour smelling dough. In this starting phase the
dough can smell overpowering like vinegar or very yeasty or even like all sorts of other things.
As long as it is not an unpleasant rotten smell all is fine. The yeasts and sour bacteria are still
trying to find a nice symbiosis and it will level out in the end and form a stable culture.

uli, Jan 27, 5:54am
You can often read in "how-to" books You can often read in "how-to" books that you should add yeast, caraway seeds, potato water or
other things. I don't think all that is necessary, and it can even be detrimental as these extras will
bring their own bacteria and stuff to the game and these may overpower the delicate sourdough
that is starting to emerge. So I have always just used water and flour with excellent results.

If everything goes fine you will have a nice starter at the end of the week. If something went
wrong you will have a messy sludge to bury in the garden. If the dough has strange smells like
rotten food, has mold"hairs" on top or turns into punky colours (red, black, blue or green) then
you know that some foreign bacteria or mold spores have taken over and its time to get rid of the
experiment. Jar and other tools need to be cleaned thoroughly with very hot water. And you
better start again with fresh clean equipment.