Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 4 / 54
juliewn, Nov 26, 10:03am
Bumping for grain bread recipes... hope this helps. .

valentino, Dec 2, 3:18am
Wow, a must for this time of year, there are some real great recipes in here and I bet not many of you know of them all... LOL...

See for yourself, really surprising but then again ? ? ?

Must read though. .

Cheers

trah, Jan 5, 11:35pm
What an amazing thread! I have to admit, I have only read three pages but hopefully, sometime I will get the time to go through more thoroughly.

I have a question about yeast. When I wanted to try a no knead recipe using wholemeal/highgrade mixed flours, I was confused by the three types of yeast on the shelf in the supermarket and didn't really know which to choose. One ruled itself out for some reason (think it was for breamaker machines only and I am using tins and oven) but of the other two, I plumped for Edmonds Surebake Active Yeast mixture (ideal for Breadmakers). When it says "Ideal for Breadmakers" - this is what I found ambiguous... ... did it mean breadmaker machines or people who like making bread? ! ! ! Anyway, the loaf I have just made with it has been disappointing. Didn't rise really before I baked it, and has not risen in the baking. So disappointed - I have never baked bread successfully and this was my first attempt for about 25 years! I SOOOO wanted it to be good!

davidt4, Jan 5, 11:38pm
"No knead" breads are often unsuccessful. If you tell us the recipe and exactly what you did someone can probably help.

trah, Jan 6, 12:54am
It is "Easy Little Bread" from the book, Dulcie's Kitchen.

1c P Flour (I used Highgrade)
1c Wholemeal flour
1c rolled oats
1 and a half teaspoons salt
1 and a quarter c warm water
2 tsp dry yeast
1 tb honey
Oil and butter for brushing

Mix tog the first three ings. Mix together the water and yeast and stir till dissolved. Stir in the honey (I warmed this slightly first as it was not liquid honey).

Pour wet mixture into dry ingredients, mix very well together.
Turn dough into tin that has been brushed with oil and butter mixture, and brush top of mixture with same.
Cover tin with damp teatowel and leave in warm place for 30 mins to rise.
Leave in tin and bake 35-40 mins at 180C.

First of all, I would not describe it as a dough, when mixed. Too sloppy to be called dough, in my opinion.

I set it outside in the sun on the deck with damp teatowel over (hot day in Auck today) for 40 mins and then put it into the oven, but it had not risen when I put it into the oven.

Any clues here about what went wrong?

Edited to say that the yeast has a use by date of Feb 2010 and I have stored it in the fridge before using.

davidt4, Jan 6, 1:24am
The recipe is similar to a wartime no-knead bread called Grant Loaf, which was made with 100% wholemeal flour. I can't comment on the use of Surebake because I have never used it, but I think the problem is not enough yeast and too much salt. The Grant loaf involved a large quantity of yeast, partly because it is necessary if the bread is to rise very quickly and partly because of its food value.

Salt retards yeast activity, and this quantity is not appropriate for a quick bread.

If you want to try this kind of bread again I suggest changing the quantities to 1 rounded tablespoon of active yeast (not Surebake) and 1/2 tsp salt. The dough does need to be very sloppy or it has no chance of rising quickly.

If you really want to make a simple loaf of bread I can give you a straightforward recipe, but it requires kneading. Let me know if you want it.

trah, Jan 6, 3:14am
Thanks so much davidt4. I might try this one again using your suggestions re salt and yeast quantities, but may not now get time until next week. My yeast is actually Surebake Active Yeast. Are you saying that is not suitable? It says recommended for home breadmaking and breadmaking machines.

If that doesn't work for me, I'll get back to you with a request for your Kneady recipe.

davidt4, Jan 6, 3:21am
Surebake is yeast plus "dough improvers" that speed up the action of the yeast and soften the crumb of the bread to make it more like fluffy mass produced commercial bread. It is primarily used in automatic breadmaking machines.

Just use ordinary DYC Active Yeast.

trah, Jan 10, 6:15am
Hi davidt4. I tried the recipe making the changes you suggested, and using Edmonds Active Yeast granules instead of the other one (couldn't get DYC). It did rise higher, but I guess it is just meant to be a "dense" loaf. It was OK, but not really what I was looking for.

Would you mind posting your simple recipe as volunteered above?

davidt4, Jan 10, 6:59am
Plain HouseholdBread

Ingredients

• 1kg strong bread flour
• 625m tepid water
• 30g fresh yeast or 21g dried yeast
• 1 tablespoons sugar
• 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
semolina for dusting.

Makes 2 loaves.

Mix water, yeast and sugar, leave 10 min to start working. Mix flour, salt, add liquid and mix to a soft dough, add more water if neccessary. Knead by hand or with a dough hook in a food mixer until very elastic - about 10 minutes. Return to bowl, cover and leave to rise at room temperature for 3 - 4 hours or until doubled in bulk OR in the fridge overnight. If refrigerated allow to return to room temperature. Punch down, cut in two and shape each into a loaf by folding edges into centre over and over until it forms a bouncy evenly shaped loaf. Dust with semolina and either place in loaf tins or on an oven tray. Leave to rise about 45 min at room temperature, bake at 200C for about 45 minutes or until dark golden brown. Cool COMPLETELY before cutting. You can use half fine wholemeal flour, or a mixture.

davidt4, Jan 10, 7:01am
The Grant Loaf is not necessarily dense as far as wholemeal bread goes, but does have a very critical rising time - if you let it go too far it will collapse. The reason for this is that the dough hasn't been kneaded and therefore the gluten hasn't been developed to contain the bubbles that the yeast produces.

trah, Jan 11, 6:23am
Well, your Plain Household Bread is in the fridge to sit overnight, davidt4. I enjoyed the kneading, although my hands and wrists were getting sore after 5 mins, then I recalled that you push the "heel" of your hand into the dough - at least that is how they taught us at school many years ago. Is it supposed to rise in the fridge? I don't understand how that works, as I thought it needed warmth to prove.

davidt4, Jan 11, 7:05am
Once the yeast gets going it will grow at fridge temperature, but a lot more slowly than when warm. The flavour of the dough will develop much more with a long cool or cold rise.

Let us know how your bread turns out?

trah, Jan 11, 11:25pm
I'm so excited! I made REAL bread! It's just out of the oven davidt4 and I am having great trouble following your "Let it cool COMPLETELY" instructions! It looks like it should look, and certainly smells like it should (heavenly! ) and I am hoping it tastes like I remember those home made breads from childhood tasted! Will let you know. Thanks for your help and advice.

trah, Jan 12, 5:23am
Success! ! It is yum! A lovely texture, and great for sandwiches. Thanks david4t! Wish I could share some with you as thanks for your advice!

davidt4, Jan 12, 5:36am
Oh that's great news trah. Thank you very much for the feedback - a rare and much appreciated thing.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:57am
x1
Hi. . there are often requests here for bread recipes; for new and different recipes to make in a bread machine, and for handmade old favourites, Naan bread and Pita Bread and Panini, Filled Breads, Pizza dough, Hot Cross Buns, etc. . etc. . Would you like to add your specialties to this thread? :-) I hope you like these recipes for some of my favourites... The first posts are for the only bread dough I make now, after trying many others - it's easy to make and I use this successfully for many recipes,

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:57am
From this recipe, I make a range of breads - from loaves baked in loaf pans, Vienna type loaves, rolls of many shapes and sizes - from baked in any size muffin pans to long plaited rolls, small or large buns of any shape, hamburger buns, etc. . I also use it for bases for Pizza; for Pita, for Panini's, for Naan, for loaves or rolls to fill and bake, or cook in an electric grill. Make the loaves flat, and brush the top with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and sliced olives or herbs for Foccacia. . Add olives, grated cheese, seeds, sundried tomatoes, sliced caramelised onions, etc. , to the dough. . or decorate the top of loaves or rolls with these before baking.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:58am
Add a little sugar and some spices and currants or other dried fruit to make fruit buns. . and add crosses for Hot Cross Buns. . You can ice them for Iced Buns, or make a larger style loaf and ice it and top with sprinkled coconut for a Sally Lunn. Roll it out and spread with a mix of melted butter with brown sugar, cinnamon and sultanas and roll it up, slice it to make spirals, and bake it to make Caramel Buns. . Ice that for Chelsea Buns. . the options are endless. . Hope you give them a try. . I'm looking forward to seeing lot's of favourite recipes added. . Cheers. . Julie.

juliewn, Jan 19, 6:59am
Turn the dough so the smooth side is uppermost, and place it back in the bowl. Cover with a clean tea towel, and stand in a warmish place for about 15 minutes. You can use a hot water cupboard, the top of a stove where the oven is going, or a bed or cabinet etc that has sun shining on it. Keep pets away! ! ! During that standing time, the dough will rise. Use your hand to push it down, then knead lightly, and place the dough on a lightly floured surface, and roll or press out into a flattish oval or square. I make this about 2-3cm thick.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:00am
Variations: Replace 1 to 1 1/2 cups flour with wholemeal, rye, mixed grain flour, etc. . or with cornmeal, rye meal, etc. . Make as above.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:00am
Leave covered until doubled in size. This is the part that will mainly determine the lightness of the finished rolls. . don't try to rush the rising of them. It will take around an hour to an hour and a half. When almost risen, preheat your oven to 230°C. Bake the rolls until they sound hollow when tapped and they're golden brown. Remove from the oven. If you want crustier rolls - cool uncovered, if you want a softer roll, cool covered. For a chewier roll, brush the tops lightly with warm water and cover with a teatowel. Then try and stay away from them as they're delicious!

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:01am
Loaves: You can use this same recipe and bake them as loaves in loaf tins - or as loaves set out on baking paper lined or greased trays. Or make as large flat breads on a tray, with or without being brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt, herbs, sliced olives, seeds, sundried tomatoes, etc. . etc. . Rise and and bake at 230°C till golden and they sound hollow when tapped.

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:02am
Pizza: Use some dough to roll out for pizza bases - no need to rise for these. . roll out to the size you want and top with your your favourite toppings. Bake straight away at 230°C . . individual pizza's are great, where everyone places their own toppings on. .

juliewn, Jan 19, 7:02am
Naan Bread: My favourite way is to use a wok or frying pan on a hot element - I use one of the little gas "suitcase" stoves and make them outside while my Partner is bbqing other goodies. I place a very small amount of oil on a paper towel. . rub it quickly over the surface of the hot pan.

Add a circle of dough and place the lid on. After about 30-40 seconds, turn the bread, and continue cooking a very short time till it feels just firm. Onto a rack, cover with a tea-towel. . and try to stop eating them! ! ! They're delicious. .