Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 3 / 54
chloedancer, Sep 14, 10:55pm
Hi all I'd like to know if I can freeze bread dough? In particular a pizza dough. Your advice would be most welcome. TIA

amourette, Sep 14, 11:02pm
Yup! ! ! ! I vacuum sealed one and defrosted it yesterday and cooked, no problems!

pancakesrus, Sep 14, 11:54pm
Garlic N Herb Monkey Bread Recipe Made this today and it is oh so yum so had to share it with you all.

•1 1/3 cups milk
•2 Tbsp veg oil
•2 3/4 cups white flour
•3/4 cup whole wheat flour
•1 tsp salt
•1 clove crushed garlic
•1 tsp sugar
•3 tsp surebake yeast,
•1Tbsp butter
•2 cloves crushed garlic
•1/4 tsp dry sage
•1/4 tsp dry rosemary
•1/2tsp dry basil

1. place the first 8 ingredients into breadmaker pan in order listed and press setting 8 to make dough
2. Melt butter with garlic and herbs in a saucepan and saute, set aside
3. When dough is done remove and cut into ten large or twenty small rolls,
4. roll each in butter mix and pile into a baking dish (I use a casserole dish) and place it in a warm spot to rise to double its size.
5. Bake at 180c for around 25 to 30 mins till browned.

chloedancer, Sep 15, 12:16am
Awesome thanks heaps I don't have a vacuum seal thingy, but I only need to freeze them for a couple of days (daughters birthday on Sunday and homemade pizza is loved by all our family hehe).

suziedd, Sep 15, 2:47am
Hello all bakers... ... I didn't realise there was a bread thread here and asked a question relating to the use of barley flour in my loaves elsewhere. The result is beautifully moist, but the loaf sinks. Help please ! More yeast required? With thanks.

juliewn, Sep 17, 2:54pm
Bumping for you Suzie. . I haven't used barley flour, so hopefully someone will be of help for you. .

juliewn, Sep 18, 10:10am
Bumping for Nesh1. . :-)

nesh1, Sep 24, 4:38am
Thanks so much Juliewn I made the basic white bread recipe on Fri and it came out perfectly. I think your recipe beats the Edmonds one hands down and its soooo easy!

juliewn, Sep 24, 10:01am
Hi Nesh. . and thanks for your lovely comments. . I'm glad you like the recipe. . enjoy making your own goodies. . Julie. .

juliewn, Sep 30, 10:24am
Bumping for No-knead bread recipes. . hope this helps. .

bunny51, Oct 2, 12:23am
bumping for samsnan Hope this helps and you soon start making delicious bread.

pilgrim2, Oct 4, 3:26am
bump Love this thread, am bakin bread again in this house.

juliewn, Oct 7, 9:37am
That's great Pilgrim. . share some recipes if you'd like to. . and enjoy your goodies. .

shiyo, Oct 8, 6:25am
NO KNEAD BREAD
I use to make this recipe all the time when the kids were little and I didnt have time for much... .
750gms flour , I used a mix of white and wholemeal Put in a bowl and
add 1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp salt
add 600mls warm water, mix
mixture should be wet and sticky, grease 2 tins pour in and leave to rise. Cook for about 45mins at 350. I havent made it for 15-20 years so hope I have got it right I didnt have it written very clear. I use to cook it in the coal range. ummmm maybe I should have tried it before posting? ? ? ? ? ?

books4nz, Oct 8, 1:12pm
Hi Shiyo. .

It sounds delicious. . and I bet it tasted great in your coal range. .

shiyo, Oct 8, 8:00pm
going to make it today so will let you know later if it is still as good as I remember

shiyo, Oct 8, 8:48pm
Just put it in the loaf pan... ... ... think I use to make 2 small loaves. My loaf tins are larger now, so have just squeezed it into one tin. Not sure if it is 2 much for one and not enough for 2 large. Will let you know the results later. Its all in the eating! ! !

juliewn, Oct 11, 11:47am
Hi Shiyo. .
How did your bread come out. . hope it went well for you. .

evorotorua, Oct 11, 5:29pm
Over the weekend I did some experimenting with bread. I was trying to replicate a box of "cheese bread" I bought at the food show. For all intents it smelled and tasted like it had that artificial cheese in it like from instant macaroni cheese (the bright orange one). So I tried to replicate it and added a packet of that powder to the bread. Once baked, it tasted like ordinary bread! ! ! (Now, once I have an idea I don't like to stop... . ) So I tried a packet of dried cheese sauce with same result. Lastly I doubled the mac cheese powder and a only hint of the flavour came through. However, the bread rose incredibly for all of them. I wonder why? ? ? ? I know I could use grated cheese but thats not the flavour I am looking for. I also know about all the additives and extras in this artificial mix so it's not something I necessarily WANT to do but I just got this idea! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! What else could I try to get that commercial cheese flavour and why did they rise so well?

juliewn, Oct 14, 3:13pm
Hi Erica :-)

I hope all is well for you there. .

I wonder if adding some mustard powder or chicken stock powder to the mac n cheese powder would enhance the flavour for you - I use mustard powder in my cheese scones to enhance the flavour so it might help with your recipe too.
Salt will also help enhance the flavour. . and as the packet mix is being added to the bread recipe, the seasonings would probably be too little in comparison with the amount of flour, so may need to be increased, which would bring out flavour too.
Re the dough rising well, this is a guess. . is there some kind of acidity regulator or similar in the packet mix - which could cause a chemical reaction with the yeast, causing the dough to rise well. It could be as vinegar or acidity regulators, etc. . can have a chemical reaction like that - like vinegar and baking soda do.
Let us know how you get on with your cheese bread. .
Cheers. .
Julie

evorotorua, Oct 14, 5:24pm
Hi Julie. We are all good. Looking forward to our daughter coming home after here first year at uni. Luckily she has been fed there in the halls all this year and next year we will see what she has learned from her mother's kitchen when she goes flatting! ! ! Thanks for the suggestions about the flavours. I didn't add any salt, sugar or butter to the dough because I figured there would be enough "stuff" in the cheese mix. It is a lttle scary to see it rise so much just with what was there already! ! ! It's not really something I would do a lot but I just wanted to see if I could, if you know what I mean. Incidently the bread made fantastic toast. Mustard powder would be a good idea. I bet it would make a nice pizza base if I could stop it from rising so much. Erica

jimi9, Oct 15, 8:22pm
Hi, please can someone lend advice... ... ... . I have a recipie for chocolate bread I want to make for my kiddies, but it said to bake on the sweet cycle & my machine doesn't have that, I just have a cheapie cascade. What cycle would I bake it on then? I have these settings... ... . Basic - Quick - Rapid (which says for the preperation of sweet levened dough in my manual) - Whole Wheat - Cake - Dough & lastly- Bake. I thought maybe the rapid cycle because of what the manual said? The instructions are very basic :( Also I have other recipies I'd like to try that say to bake on the "white " cycle which I don't have either so maybe would I bake them on the basic cycle? ? Any advice much appreciated, thanks! =O)

evorotorua, Oct 16, 3:42am
Hi Jimi
I would go with the basic cycle. It should cover all the bases. i will interested to see how this turns out. I have tried chocolate bread before but not successfully. Alternatively you could put it on "dough" and then leave to rise in a bread/loaf tin and bake in the oven to keep an eye on it as it bakes. All the best and please share the results with us.

juliewn, Oct 18, 11:03am
Hi Erica
That's great all is well there. . it'll be lovely to have your Daughter home soon. . will be us this time next year after Jenni is away studying. .
Sounds like the dough rose a lot!
I made some bread yesterday - my recipe from the first page of this thread, added flour till I could only just mix the dough with a wooden spoon - didn't knead it at all - piled it onto baking paper in the bottom of a large roasting dish. I spread the dough out to fully cover the bottom of the dish, brushed it with a little canola oil and sprinkled it with coarse salt, then left it to rise - ended up being a bit longer than usual - the dough was up to the top of the dish - about 10cm deep! Baked it, and the top and bottom both cooked so they were crunchy and crusty - rather nice! I had intended to pick some rosemary from my garden, wash it then crumble it over the top - forgot to - still tasted great though. .
Have a great week Erica. . nice to catch up with you here. . cheers. . Julie

juliewn, Oct 24, 8:50am
Bumping for Natural_juse :-)