Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 2 / 54
245sam, Aug 4, 10:05pm
re #973 - a question for danielvds In your recipe can it be assumed that the "4 1/3 high grade white four" is 4&1/3 CUPS high grade white flour? TIA. :-))

danielvds, Aug 5, 12:07am
Yes that is correct Sorry. I forgot to put that it was 4 1/3 CUPS of high grade white flour. I premix all my flour, milk powder and grains for the week in plastic zip lock bags. a 5kg bag of flour makes about 8 bags. Another post recommended this and it works very well if you make alot of bread like I do. I find that mixing them in the bag before putting them in the bread maker results in a more even distribution of the grains also.

juliewn, Aug 8, 11:39am
Bumping. . :-)

janny3, Aug 8, 10:03pm
filling bread I was at a luncheon where someone had made some wholemeal bread. It was very much like a cross b/t German pumpernickel & vogels but had sunflower & pumpkin seeds in it. The lady told me her Swiss hubby made it w/ rye, kibbled wheat, wholemeal & plain flour. It also had honey & yoghurt in it. I missed the recipe but would love to be able to make this healthy style bread. Does anyone have any idea?

juliewn, Aug 11, 9:54am
Bumping for you Janny. . hopefully someone has a recipe to help. .

juliewn, Aug 13, 4:10pm
for the weekend :-) . .

danielvds, Aug 19, 11:08am
bumped for roiri

juliewn, Aug 22, 2:30pm
bumping. .

juliewn, Aug 26, 12:37pm
... . . :-)

shaneandsarah, Aug 30, 3:48am
Raspberry buns Hi does anyone have a good recipe for making raspberry buns? Ideally the dough and a great icing recipe - thanks!

juliewn, Sep 1, 8:39am
Hi Shane. . you could use the basic dough recipe from post 4 in this thread. . add a little more sugar if you'd like a sweeter result. . shape as you want, rise and bake as per the recipe. . cool, then ice them. . I'd use 1 teaspoon butter, melted, 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups icing sugar (depending on how much you need), raspberry essence if you want, food colouring. . them mix with milk (not water) to give the consistency you prefer - milk gives a creamier finish and still keeps well. Alternatives. . you could add some sultana's to the dough recipe. . and this is really nice - instead of using raspberry essence for the icing, add some raspberry jam to your taste and mix it into the icing once it's at the consistency you want. . it tastes very good with the jam. .

lilyfield, Sep 2, 2:09am
bump for someone

shiyo, Sep 5, 4:08am
Not sure if it has been said in this thread but I make my pull apart bread in a cake ring tin. Pull dough pieces off flour well and place in the greased ring tin. Once cooked they pull apart easily. Great for soup and very impressive to take out for a pot luck tea or plate.

juliewn, Sep 5, 8:34am
Yum. . that sounds good. . Do you make them with cheese, bacon, etc. . ? ?

shiyo, Sep 5, 8:57am
not allowed cheese... grrr but bacon, sundried tomato, or chopped olives and sprinkled with rock salt. Love it, people think you have spent hours in the kitchen. I use the dough setting then do the rest. And it only takes 10 minutes or so and its cooked. Lots of good ideas in this thread, thanks all

juliewn, Sep 6, 11:23am
Thanks Shiyo. . I have a special lunch to make coming up soon and will make them for that. . thanks for sharing. . :-)

evorotorua, Sep 6, 6:21pm
Good morning Julie I love pull apart bread and I also make mine in a ring tin(or any other shape too) but instead of flouring them all, I roll mine in grated cheese. I know Shiyo can't have cheese (that would kill me quicker than the impending heart attack will). It is hard to get the cheese to stick so I kind of press it on and spinkle it around as well when assembling the loaf. It sounds fiddly but it's not. HAve a great day and thanks for keeping this thread going so strongly. Erica

juliewn, Sep 7, 2:55pm
Hi Erica. . :-) I was just thinking of you and here's your post. . I do hope all is well for you there. . That sounds very good rolled like that. . might have to have a few trials before my Partner's birthday! I don't think I'd have anyone saying no! Take care. . x

elmartino, Sep 8, 10:49pm
My kids favorites:

DOUGH
500g High Gluten Wheat Flour
50g Sugar
30g Organic Apple Fibre (optional)
250ml lukewarm milk
60g Butter
2tsp Instant Dry Yeast

Almond paste filling
65g butter
150g icing sugar
150g Durum Semolina Flour
5 ground bitter almonds(or liquid flavour)
1 egg
2 tbsp milk

Prepare dough and allow to rise. For the filling melt butter in a pan put all dry ingredients in, stir, stir, stir. Add milk, turn the heat off and add the egg. Stir or knead. It should form a ball.

Roll the dough out on a floured surface on a large sqare. Spread the almond paste on, make a large roll and cut into 2cm slices. Place on a greases baking tray and bake 25mins @ 175°

YUMMY!

Btw.

@ Kate. Seeds and grain admixes are available on trade me :)

juliewn, Sep 9, 1:46am
Thanks for adding the recipes :-)

and.. bumping for Wildflower..

juliewn, Sep 10, 12:39pm
Wow. . I'm almost early tonight! Hope everyone is enjoying the recipes from all who have added them here. .

sooseque, Sep 11, 9:38am
Kibbled wheat used in bread recipe, is it necessary to soak this first ?

shiyo, Sep 12, 6:34am
I soak it first otherwise it seem to chewy. Many posts ago I asked about cooking bread on top of a fireplace. Well I have done a cooker pressure bread (it could be done in camp oven or any heavy based straight sided pot) and it has turned out beaut. Will be great to cook at the batch. http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/33/105567133_full. jp
g

evorotorua, Sep 12, 7:24am
oooh I have never had the 1000 post before. Yay me! ! ! !

juliewn, Sep 14, 10:49am
Good for you Erica :-). . hope all is well for you. Hi Shiyo... our mouths are watering from seeing your bread - yum!