Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 39 / 54
juliewn, Sep 10, 12:29pm
Hi Weezil. you can use the fresh yeast in a similar way to using yeast granules - not the Surebake - the other kind - I think it has a tan-coloured lid. You can make any recipe with fresh yeast. to activate it, place the tepid water/milk/or milk and water in a bowl, with the sugar/honey and salt. Stir to dissolve the sugar or honey and the salt. Crumble the fresh yeast over the top, and cover the bowl with plastic wrap to keep the warmth in, and leave until the yeast is bubbling and frothy on the surface. Add this mix to 2 cups of the flour from your recipe, and stir in, then proceed with your recipe as per the instructions. I haven't used fresh yeast in a while - so am not sure of the amount to use in comparison with the granules - hopefully your packet will give a guide, or there's a phone number or website addy on it that you could use to contact the maker. I hope this is of help. enjoy making your goodies. :-)

bogeyi, Sep 11, 12:11am
is there a recipe for the breadmaker cheese sticks or something snacky i can make for the kids lunchboxes and after school

weezil, Sep 11, 4:12am
lol, the yeast comes in kilo lots.not that I need that much.will try and give some away.its only about 3 dollars for that much so no biggy if I have to bin some.got a recipe from Paul Hollywoods site and its supposed to be easy so tomorrow im giving it a crack!.thanks for help.

juliewn, Sep 11, 12:39pm
Wow. I'm almost early tonight! Hope everyone is enjoying the recipes from all who have added them here.

juliewn, Sep 11, 2:30pm
Hi Weezil. 1 kg is more than I was thinking! - I remember my mother using it - and that it then came in a type of foil wrapped package that held about 120gms or so of the yeast. I haven't seen it available for a while now. Enjoy your goodies. :-)

juliewn, Sep 11, 2:58pm
Hi Bogeyi. you could use the bread recipe in post 4 of this thread for handmade bread - or a basic white / wholemeal / grain loaf recipe for a breadmaker. and once the dough is ready to be shaped, you could use the info in post 12 to make individual pizza's, post 15 to make Naan bread, Post 18 to make filled breads - individual breads work well for these, and the Ham and Cheese twists in post 39. There may be others that might be of interest to you in the thread. Rolls also work well - they can be filled with cold meat or other protein and lots of salad veges, or for an after school treat, pop a little tinned spaghetti or baked beans on top of halved rolls, add a little grated cheese and zap, or place under a grill, till the cheese is melted and golden.

juliewn, Sep 11, 2:59pm
To make breadsticks, use your choice of bread dough recipe, and when you're ready to shape them, cut the dough into pieces about the size of 1 & 1/2 size 6 eggs - or bigger or smaller to your preference. Hold the dough in between the palms of your hands, and rub it back and forth between your hands, so a longish stick is formed. Once you've finished shaping them like this, cover with a cloth and prove about 30 minutes, then bake as per the recipe. For crisper sticks, bake at a little lower temperature - 190°C - and cook a little longer till as crisp as you want. Cool without covering, as that will make them less crisp. You could add grated cheese, chopped ham or bacon, finely chopped onion, etc., to the dough when making it. and make as above, and you can also brush the tops of the sticks with a little milk and then sprinkle over some sesame seeds, before leaving the sticks to prove, and bake as above.

juliewn, Sep 11, 3:00pm
Dough can also be rolled out to form a long rectangle shape. spread with marmite or vegemite, grated cheese, chopped onion, chopped ham or bacon or salami, sliced tomatoes, capsicum, etc. then dampen the long side of the rectangle that's away from you, and once the filling is spread over, roll the dough up, so the filling and the dough forms scrolls. Press the dampened side to the dough to form a circle, then cut into individual scrolls/pinwheels, and place onto a greased or baking paper lined oven tray. Leave till doubled in size in a warm place - about 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours at this time of year, and bake at 230°C until they're golden and cooked through. These freeze well too. You can use the same method for sweet scrolls - spread the rectangle with some brown sugar and sprinkle mixed spice or cinnamon over that, then sprinkle some sultana's, chopped dates, currants, raisins, or other dried fruits, add some nuts too if you want. and roll up as above. I hope this is of help. :-)

bogeyi, Sep 11, 8:59pm
thanks juliewn the scrolls are one i want as well daughter loves the vegemite scrolls at bakers delight, however i dont like the price lol.

juliewn, Sep 12, 2:48am
Bumping for handmade bread recipes. :-)

sooseque, Sep 12, 9:38am
Kibbled wheat used in bread recipe, is it necessary to soak this first !

bunny51, Sep 12, 9:27pm
bumping for ultravioleteyes

evorotorua, Sep 13, 7:24am
oooh I have never had the 1000 post before. Yay me!

juliewn, Sep 13, 12:02pm
You're welcome Bogeyi. Have a great weekend everyone. :-)

juliewn, Sep 14, 10:49am
Good for you Erica :-). hope all is well for you. Hi Shiyo. our mouths are watering from seeing your bread - yum!

chloedancer, Sep 14, 10:55pm
Hi all I'd like to know if I can freeze bread dough! In particular a pizza dough. Your advice would be most welcome. TIA

amourette, Sep 14, 11:02pm
Yup! I vacuum sealed one and defrosted it yesterday and cooked, no problems!

chloedancer, Sep 15, 12:16am
Awesome thanks heaps I don't have a vacuum seal thingy, but I only need to freeze them for a couple of days (daughters birthday on Sunday and homemade pizza is loved by all our family hehe).

suziedd, Sep 15, 2:47am
Hello all bakers. .I didn't realise there was a bread thread here and asked a question relating to the use of barley flour in my loaves elsewhere.The result is beautifully moist,but the loaf sinks.Help please ! More yeast required!With thanks.

juliewn, Sep 15, 4:07am
Hi Ivy. they're sure going to love your books. and the legacy of all the recipes you're passing on for them.though they're way more than a book of recipes aren't they. they're true heart-gift's from their Mum. :-)

weezil, Sep 15, 4:09am
well handmade bread is fun to make!. first time using fresh yeast and the more I tried the better the bread was.theres something very satisfying watching yeast work then hoping the bread dough will rise.(had to peek several times.lol) by the third batch im getting pretty good at it.well its either satisfying or I have a very dull life!.lol.and I shared the yeast and have some in the freezer to see what its like later on.

juliewn, Sep 15, 2:55pm
Good for you. and yes it sure is satisfying. and rewarding to see the dough you've shaped and created with your own hands rise and then make delicious loaves and rolls when they're baked. I'm proud of you. have fun making your own breads.

barloo, Sep 17, 2:27am
bumping from page 2

juliewn, Sep 17, 8:09am
Bumping for Toot. hope it helps.

juliewn, Sep 17, 2:03pm
Bumping for Rye loaves. .