Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 38 / 54
juliewn, Sep 5, 11:18am
. Punch down the dough and knead a bit on the bench. Divide it in half and shape both bits into tapered, oval loaves, wide in the centre and pointy at the ends. Make a deep cut down the centre of the loaves and place on a floured baking sheet.

Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise again in a warm place for two hours.

Preheat the oven to 230C. When it's reached that temperature, put the loaves in and reduce to 200C.

Bake for half an hour. The crust should be quite tender.

Allow to cool on a wire rack and break open to find the moist interior. Eat dipped in olive oil.

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:19am
As it has herbs too, I wondered if it's the same recipe. if not, it sounds rather good!

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:21am
And. while I'm checking out bread recipes in the Herald site. this sounds good too: Manuka honey and kawakawa bread sticks: Makes approximately 20 .
1 tbsp dried yeast,
2 tsp sugar,
1/2 cup warm milk,
1 tbsp grapeseed oil, plus extra for oiling the bowl,
2 cups of flour, plus extra for kneading,
2 tsp dried kawakawa,
Warmed manuka honey to drizzle over before eating,

Put the yeast, sugar, milk and oil together in a bowl. Stir, then leave for 10 minutes in a warm place.

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:22am
In a large bowl place the flour and kawakawa, mix then make a well and pour in the frothy yeast mix.

Tip on to a floured bench and knead for at least five minutes until the dough becomes soft and smooth.

Oil a bowl, put in the dough, cover and leave in a warm place for one hour.

Preheat the oven to 220C.

Punch down the dough and shape into sticks by rolling small pieces between your palms then putting them on the bench and rolling out into a stick shape.

Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Drizzle with warm manuka honey before eating.

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:22am
If you don't have the Kawakawa. I'd substitute another herb - or leave it out.

patsprat, Sep 6, 12:39am
Yes, that's the one, Juliewn, it did taste good but I didn't manage the 'tender crust'. We ate one of the loaves and then I let the other go a little hard and crunched it up for breadcrumbs (very yummy sprinkled over things as a topping with all those herbs & olives). So how do I get a higher, softer bread! Your expert comments appreciated!

shiyo, Sep 6, 4:08am
Not sure if it has been said in this thread but I make my pull apart bread in a cake ring tin. Pull dough pieces off flour well and place in the greased ring tin. Once cooked they pull apart easily. Great for soup and very impressive to take out for a pot luck tea or plate.

shiyo, Sep 6, 5:01am
shiyo wrote:

NO KNEAD BREAD
I use to make this recipe all the time when the kids were little and I didnt have time for much.
750gms flour , I used a mix of white and wholemeal Put in a bowl and
add 1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp salt
add 600mls warm water, mix
mixture should be wet and sticky, grease 2 tins pour in and leave to rise. Cook for about 45mins at 350.

See people wanted to know about the no knead bread receipe I posted ages ago.Checked my book and it does say 1 tbsp. it made a very bubbly open type bread.Havent made it for years , but will try again and see what happens I will let you all know.

juliewn, Sep 6, 8:34am
Yum. that sounds good. Do you make them with cheese, bacon, etc.!

shiyo, Sep 6, 8:57am
not allowed cheese.grrr but bacon, sundried tomato, or chopped olives and sprinkled with rock salt.Love it, people think you have spent hours in the kitchen. I use the dough setting then do the rest. And it only takes 10 minutes or so and its cooked.Lots of good ideas in this thread, thanks all

juliewn, Sep 6, 9:51am
Hi Liz. I'm glad it's working for you now. . I knead the dough until it's slightly shiny, and until the dough springs back into shape when a finger tip is pressed firmly into the surface. Hope you're enjoying delicious bread.

juliewn, Sep 6, 9:52am
Thanks Ivy. That's a great site. thanks for posting the link.

lisa_marie40, Sep 6, 12:27pm
bunny51 i have the same bread maker as you i think the sunbeam quantum smart bake! you say you always get high rising good bread! would u be able to give me a recipe you use! and do u have a pic of a loaf you have made in it! so i can see if my loaf is normal! lol i had a Remington big loaf i think one of the problems is the sunbeam is a wider loaf where as the Remington was more higher bread pan but still the sunbeam loaves i have made so far don't rise sometimes i would get loaves rising almost to the top of the viewing window with this new brad maker it doesn't even make it to the top of the bread pan lol help!

juliewn, Sep 7, 2:45am
Hi Pat. I'd hoped to make the recipe today. it sure sounds good. will post here when I've made it and hopefully will be able to help. Have a lovely weekend. Julie

ivyplus, Sep 7, 9:22am
Zopf (Plait) Swiss Sunday Bread Because I can not add pictures here I have added this recipe to another site (incl instructions how to plait the bread). If you are interested just copy and paste the link and scroll down the page:--- http://tinyurl.com/37l8pe

juliewn, Sep 7, 11:23am
Thanks Shiyo. I have a special lunch to make coming up soon and will make them for that. thanks for sharing. :-)

evorotorua, Sep 7, 6:21pm
Good morning Julie I love pull apart bread and I also make mine in a ring tin(or any other shape too) but instead of flouring them all, I roll mine in grated cheese. I know Shiyo can't have cheese (that would kill me quicker than the impending heart attack will). It is hard to get the cheese to stick so I kind of press it on and spinkle it around as well when assembling the loaf. It sounds fiddly but it's not. HAve a great day and thanks for keeping this thread going so strongly. Erica

juliewn, Sep 8, 6:56am
Hi again Ivy. your post has reminded me about the plaited bread rolls my mother once made. she would make long individual rolls - about 6" or 8" long, and shape them into a plait, brush the tops with milk then sprinkle sesame seeds on them before baking. Each New Year's Day we would all go out for a picnic lunch. I remember having one of these plaited roll's each - on which we'd put cold roast mutton she cooked the day before, her apple chutney, and lettuce and tomatoes from the garden, with Highlander Salad dressing - the condensed milk kind.

juliewn, Sep 8, 6:57am
For dessert. she would make them in the coffee jars Gregg's coffee was sold in. and we'd each have our own jar. There would be trifle andfruit salad in the jar, with some whipped cream on top. We'd all sit on a beach, under Pohutukawa trees, and have our very own roll and our very own dessert. We had to wait one hour afterwards, before having a swim. I remember those meals more than any other meal throughout childhood - and even more than Christmas meals. The bread recipes I make are different to the one she made. and I knead the dough very differently too. I guess people who cook will always find their own ways of finding things easiest to do. Thanks Ivy, for bringing that nice memory to mind.

ivyplus, Sep 8, 6:58am
Thanks a lot juliewn Unfortunately it's not only the photos I had problems. It's the writing as well. I can't display the recipies well and there is no spell check. --- Last year I started a cook book for my children and I lost everything on the computer. I asked my children if they would love if I would make them another one. And they said yes. All recipies are easy step ones because my children are not cooks. Many of the recipes are Swiss ones and I often think I should asked my mother while she was
still alive for recipes. I "save" them now on the other message board and thought I pass on the links when I see people searching for recipies I have already written down. I want this recipe book ready and printed by Christmas! I want it to be special for them that they can look for recipies even when I have passed on.

juliewn, Sep 8, 2:55pm
Hi Erica. :-) I was just thinking of you and here's your post. I do hope all is well for you there. That sounds very good rolled like that. might have to have a few trials before my Partner's birthday!I don't think I'd have anyone saying no! Take care. x

juliewn, Sep 9, 1:46am
Thanks for adding the recipes :-)

and. bumping for Wildflower.

misterperfect, Sep 9, 2:06am
bread thread bump

weezil, Sep 9, 2:36am
can someone tell me can the "block" of yeast be used just the same way as you can use the "red top" surebake.anyone got a recipe thats easy and uses the fresh yeast!.(dont know what else to call it)

weezil, Sep 9, 9:31am
upwards for help.bump .