Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 37 / 54
craig04, Aug 31, 12:41am
Thanks juliewn - wow, this is an awesome thread but I have no idea where to start! So many yummy sounding recipes and so many talented breadmakers.

Since I like to contribute, I have a delicious recipe for English Muffins which I made on the weekend and which my kids and hubby couldn't get enough of so here goes:

English Muffins

4c flour
1c gluten flour
1 sachet instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2c milk
1 beaten egg
50g butter

Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Melt butter and add milk - heat until warm but not hot (I test with my finger - if I can't feel the temp then it's too cool, if it hurts to leave my finger in for 10secs then it's too hot). Pour egg and milk mix into a well in the dry ingredients, stir through and then knead dough briefly on a floured surface (about 2mins). Place in a greased bowl to rise. When doubled in size, roll out until approx 2cm thick and cut into rounds (I use a little round deli container). Reknead and reroll dough until all is used. Place on baking trays and bake for 6-7mins each side at 190deg until lightly brown. Not too brown if you like yours toasted. Cut in half and toast as usual or bake a bit longer and use as rolls for lunch.

bunny51, Aug 31, 1:01am
Oh no shame about the breadmaker I have a sunbeam quantum bake (Makes a huge loaf of bread) and have had a breville both are/ were great

shaneandsarah, Aug 31, 3:48am
Raspberry buns Hi does anyone have a good recipe for making raspberry buns! Ideally the dough and a great icing recipe - thanks!

mistie-blue, Aug 31, 7:39am
Well done all just going through all the bread thread got bread maker out of cupboard though much slower in the the long run than real hands on, bumping for all

jenna68, Aug 31, 8:53pm
Bumping for julie, maybe you can help angie with her question!:o)

patsprat, Sep 1, 12:39am
Hello breadmakers, I'm new to this and I wanted to make the Olive & Olive Oil Bread in today's Herald on Sunday (Peta Mathias.)I don't have a breadmaker so it's all by hand.
The recipe says 2 tsp (heaped) dry yeast - I have Edmonds Surebake but is this the same as regular granulated yeast! Obviously there are some sort of "improvers" - ! - in Surebake which must reduce the amount of actual yeast so do you use the same amount of Surebake as you would with regular dried yeast! Are they interchangeable or should I use something else!
Sorry if this has already been covered way back in the thread but your comments would be appreciated. Also are there recommendations as to particular brands of flour (apart from using high grade bread flour!Thanks!

craig04, Sep 1, 12:41am
Thanks juliewn - wow, this is an awesome thread but I have no idea where to start! So many yummy sounding recipes and so many talented breadmakers.

Since I like to contribute, I have a delicious recipe for English Muffins which I made on the weekend and which my kids and hubby couldn't get enough of so here goes:

English Muffins

4c flour
1c gluten flour
1 sachet instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2c milk
1 beaten egg
50g butter

Mix flour, yeast, salt and sugar. Melt butter and add milk - heat until warm but not hot (I test with my finger - if I can't feel the temp then it's too cool, if it hurts to leave my finger in for 10secs then it's too hot). Pour egg and milk mix into a well in the dry ingredients, stir through and then knead dough briefly on a floured surface (about 2mins). Place in a greased bowl to rise. When doubled in size, roll out until approx 2cm thick and cut into rounds (I use a little round deli container). Reknead and reroll dough until all is used. Place on baking trays and bake for 6-7mins each side at 190deg until lightly brown. Not too brown if you like yours toasted. Cut in half and toast as usual or bake a bit longer and use as rolls for lunch.

liz214, Sep 1, 9:17pm
ok. what am i doing wrong. I am making bread by hand.have done a few times now. the bread is yummy .but it is crumbling when it is being cut. TIA

juliewn, Sep 2, 12:48am
Hi Liz. bet your kitchen smells good with your breadmaking. Can you post the ingredients list for us please. in the meantime, some of the following might help. I find high grade flour works best for breadmaking as it gives a lighter texture. Is the bread rising to double in size once you've made it into shapes for rolls or placed it into tins! What sort of yeast are you using. granules or Surebake (it has the improvers in that look similar to flour)! Granules take longer to rise and is a slightly different process also. Sometimes if there's melted butter or an egg in the recipe, the loaf will be slightly denser and more crumbly.

liz214, Sep 2, 12:53am
the recipie is . the same as the one at the start of the tread. i may worked it out.
i think it might be mykneading time . as the i kneaded todays loaf longer and it has worked sooo much better.

elliehen, Sep 2, 7:44am
And be happy in your bread-making :)Bread is 'the staff of life'.

"Familiar Quotations" by John Bartlett, under Matthew Henry (1662-1714), "Commentaries (1708-1710) states: "Here is bread, which strengthens man's heart, and therefore called the staff of life. Ib. Psalm 104."

juliewn, Sep 2, 8:39am
Hi Shane. you could use the basic dough recipe from post 4 in this thread. add a little more sugar if you'd like a sweeter result. shape as you want, rise and bake as per the recipe. cool, then ice them. I'd use 1 teaspoon butter, melted, 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups icing sugar (depending on how much you need), raspberry essence if you want, food colouring. them mix with milk (not water) to give the consistency you prefer - milk gives a creamier finish and still keeps well. Alternatives. you could add some sultana's to the dough recipe. and this is really nice - instead of using raspberry essence for the icing, add some raspberry jam to your taste and mix it into the icing once it's at the consistency you want. it tastes very good with the jam.

juliewn, Sep 2, 11:41am
Hi Kate.

Usually to make a wholegrain or multigrain loaf, use about 1/4 to a 1/3 of wholegrain's or multigrain's to the amount of flour the flour.

Ie. if your recipe has 4 cups flour, substitute 1 cup to just over 1 cup of wholegrain's or multigrains for the same amount of flour.

For a 6 cups of flour recipe, replace 1 & 1/2 cups to 2cups flour with whole or multi grains.

I find Bin Inn type stores are good for buying grains and different flours from - Moshims is another one. and there are a wide range of different options there - I like to use a mix of corn grits, kibbled wheat, kibbled rye and some corn-meal - this gives a similar look to Molenberg bread.

I soak the grains first - place them in a jug or bowl and cover with boiling water, plus at least another 1/2 cup of water - more may be needed as the grains absorb the water. Proceed as usual for your recipe. you'll need the normal amount of water from the recipe as the water with the grains will be completely absorbed by the grains.

Once you've found the mix of grains you like, you can experiment with the types available at a bulk-buy type store. there are many flours and grains available there.

I hope this is of help. Good luck. :-)

jenna68, Sep 2, 6:30pm
Bumping for you patsprat. julie will prob be able to help you with your ques and she will be back on here soon!:o)

juliewn, Sep 3, 11:41am
Hi Kate.

Usually to make a wholegrain or multigrain loaf, use about 1/4 to a 1/3 of wholegrain's or multigrain's to the amount of flour the flour.

Ie. if your recipe has 4 cups flour, substitute 1 cup to just over 1 cup of wholegrain's or multigrains for the same amount of flour.

For a 6 cups of flour recipe, replace 1 & 1/2 cups to 2cups flour with whole or multi grains.

I find Bin Inn type stores are good for buying grains and different flours from - Moshims is another one. and there are a wide range of different options there - I like to use a mix of corn grits, kibbled wheat, kibbled rye and some corn-meal - this gives a similar look to Molenberg bread.

I soak the grains first - place them in a jug or bowl and cover with boiling water, plus at least another 1/2 cup of water - more may be needed as the grains absorb the water. Proceed as usual for your recipe. you'll need the normal amount of water from the recipe as the water with the grains will be completely absorbed by the grains.

Once you've found the mix of grains you like, you can experiment with the types available at a bulk-buy type store. there are many flours and grains available there.

I hope this is of help. Good luck. :-)

patsprat, Sep 3, 10:54pm
Thanks, Jenna, I made the recipe using an extra teaspoonful of Surebake and it rose beautifully, smelled gorgeous, etc etc but I must have cooked it wrongly - came out as 2 loaves with a very hard crust & not quite cooked enough inside.Next time I think I'd try putting it into loaf tins but that wasn't the look I wanted. Should I use fanbake or regular for baking!

unknowndisorder, Sep 4, 1:23am
Helen59, I'd just like to say thankyou for the recipe. I've got a mix in the machine at the moment, which means another couple of hours before I can pig out on it again.

susieq9, Sep 4, 4:12am
bump. for a great thread.

ivyplus, Sep 4, 10:05am
Easy Peasy Bread Dough A friend of mine gave me this easy bread dough. There are no real measurements. I have added the recipe with pictures to another site. If you are interested just copy and paste the link:----- http://tinyurl.com/2qvu9k

juliewn, Sep 4, 2:57pm
Hi Ladies. :-) Hi Pat. I find a ratio of 1 slightly rounded tablespoon of Surebake Yeast to 3 cups of flour gives a good result. As you've mentioned trying it another time in tin's,I'm guessing that your bread flattened out this time as it cooked!. if so,I'd try adding a little more flour, so that the dough is firm and not sticky at all when you finish kneading it. Could you post the recipe please. and hopefully I can help you further. Cheers. Julie

juliewn, Sep 4, 3:01pm
ps. Pat. I'd use the oven on fan-bake. .

juliewn, Sep 4, 3:06pm
Hi Angie. I find that using the bread dough recipe I've included from post 4 of this thread, gives a good result for vegemite/marmite pinwheels/scrolls (some grated cheese and finely chopped onion is nice added too!). To make the bread softer, once you've rolled your dough out, spread it with the filling, then rolled it all up, then have sliced it into scrolls and placed them on a tray (on baking paper is easiest), cover them and leave them to rise in a warm place until doubled in size - at this time of the year that can be anytime from an hour to 1 & 1/2 hours. then bake them in a hot oven - 220°C to 230°C. Rising them well at this stage will give a softer result. I hope this is of help. let us know how you get on. Cheers. Julie

patsprat, Sep 5, 2:02am
AAAgh! I've tossed out the newspaper with the recipe in (Herald on Sunday,Peta Mathias, Olive & Herb Bread)but now that I have everyone's advice I'll trawl this thread for my next recipe. As for the loaves 'flattening out' - they did to some extent although the dough was lovely and 'together' and elastic, not really too soft, I thought. Obviously I need practice at this - I do love the kneadingand the gorgeous smells of yeast & bread baking! Got a longsuffering husband who'll eat anything too, which is just as well!

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:17am
Hi Pat. I just checked the Herald website. though it's a different name -is this the recipe! Olive and olive oil bread: 2 tsp (heaped) dry yeast
Pinch of sugar,
1 1/4 cup warm milk,
4 cups flour,
2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped,
2 tbsp shallots, finely chopped,
1 tsp sea salt,
4 tbsp black olives, pitted and chopped,
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil.

juliewn, Sep 5, 11:17am
Put the yeast, sugar and milk together in a bowl and wait for the magic - things will start foaming in about 10 mins.

Put the flour in a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Into this well, drop the mint, shallots, salt, olives, olive oil and yeast mixture.

Mix together with your hands until a ball is formed.

Transfer this to a floured bench and knead for 10 mins.

Shape the dough into a ball and place in a large, oiled bowl. Cover with plastic cling film or a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place until it has doubled in size (about two hours).