Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 33 / 54
juliewn, Jul 25, 1:15pm
Hi Buzzy. I use baking paper to roll the dough out too - using a piece of baking paper on top of the dough also. I've also used plastic wrap as Bunny has posted. both work well. have a lovely weekend Everyone. :-)

juliewn, Jul 25, 1:21pm
Hi Rupps. I forgot to add before. . you can alter the types of seeds and grains in a recipe, keeping the same quantity of the total weight of seeds and grains in the recipe. ie. in Oz4uk's recipe above, she used a total of 17 & 1/2 tablespoons of seeds and grains - you can alter those to use 17 % 1/2 tablespoons of whatever grains and seeds you want - or just use one kind. For a Molenberg type loaf, I've found that equal quantities of kibbled wheat, kibbled rye, soy grits and medium ground cornmeal work well. Enjoy trying the recipe to make it just as you want it to be. :-)

rupps, Jul 25, 9:32pm
neat - thanks juliewn will try that. Thanks so much

raewyn64, Jul 26, 12:00am
a roll question I am thinking of making some bread rolls where they get to the stage before baking where they are sort of touching each other so you break them apart after baking - so the inner ones have no outer crusts on them.
So my question is (using the breadmaker to make the dough) when I put them on the tray to do the final rise in the warm do I place them so they are touching then or do I wait until I am about to bake them and then make them touch! If I do it before the final rise won't the rolls in the center get squashed and not rise enough!
Thanks for tips/suggestions as always - they are invaluable.

buzzy110, Jul 26, 12:35am
I'm no expert but am currently having a wonderful time making all sorts of things with my sour dough starter. I made buns last and cooked them this morning for breakfast. I left biggish gaps between each bun and by this morning they'd increased in bulk and were touching so I'd leave then apart. They should roughly double in size when proofing so use that as a rough guide to how far apart you put them.

raewyn64, Jul 26, 12:54am
buzzy excellent thanks. That sounds just right - leave teh gaps and let them grow into them ha ha

Thanks so much

juliewn, Jul 26, 12:46pm
Hi Mark. that sounds delicious. Hi Seb. For 5 people, I would look for a breadmaker that makes the larger loaves (there seems to be two sizes of loaves according to the breadmaker. You can make wholegrain and wholemeal loaves in all makers, and for pizza's, the breadmakers have a 'dough function' - the machine will beep when the dough reaches that stage, so you can take the dough out and continue making pizza with it.or rolls, or hot cross buns, or. etc. I hope this is of help. enjoy making your own breads.

jenna68, Jul 26, 8:30pm
Bumping for alpha, looking for bread in the crockpot, is there a recipe for that in here!:o)

rebecca18, Jul 27, 1:46am
Ciabatta bread recipe To save space, I am posting a link to a Ciabatta recipe that I submitted to the Vegweb site a year or two ago.It makes wonderful bread!A good chewy crust and big airy holes.Always receives very positive feedback.I tasted some recently made with half white and half freshly-stoneground organic wheat flour.It was dipped in a good extra virgin olive oil and Dukkah.It was very good. http://vegweb.com/index.php!topic=5822.0

rebecca18, Jul 27, 1:52am
Ciabatta bread - postscript The recipe was translated to fit with a vegan diet.I always use cow's milk and raw sugar when making it.

buzzy110, Jul 27, 10:27pm
That is pretty much a hard ask # 967. commercial breads come out of factories that are bursting at the seams with food technologists. Their flours are probably really processed to the hilt. They use special yeasts and additives such as oxidising ingredients, dough conditioners, emulsifiers, enzymes, L-cysteine, etc. They have special proofing ovens and ovens that deliver measured amounts of steam at correctly timed intervals. One of the additives is vitamin C which is toxic when cooked at high temps so most commercial bread is not that great for your health anyway. I'll get off my soap box now and leave more temperate people to contradict me and defend commercial bread. There are yeasts sold in the supermarket with all the additives if you are really keen.

wron, Jul 28, 11:36am
Just sliding back up from the last page!

juliewn, Jul 28, 12:58pm
Hi Sea-salt. sadly most purchased breads are not good copies of the quality of breads that can be made at home. Adding extra yeast will create a yeasty-flavour, and add little extra volume to the dough. The best ways to obtain a lighter bread naturally are to ensure the dough is left to rise until doubled in size. at both the initial stage of rising the dough, and at the stage of rising the shaped buns/rolls/breads, before they're baked. Some recipes include milk, or milk powder, and / or eggs - and recipes with these in tend to be heavier and a little more'cakey' type in texture and density. using water will give a lighter result. I hope this is of help.

juliewn, Jul 28, 12:59pm
and. bumping for Greerg :-)

juliewn, Jul 28, 5:05pm
Hi Rebecca. thanks for posting the link. your recipe sounds delicious. I hope it's ok with you to copy the recipe here.

juliewn, Jul 28, 5:07pm
Rebecca's Ciabatta bread: Ingredients (use vegan versions):

For the starter:
1/2 teaspoon granulated yeast,
150 ml hot water,(approximately 2/3 cup)
3 tablespoons warm vegan milk,
1/4 teaspoon brown sugar,
1 cup unbleached white flour,
For the dough:
1/2 teaspoon yeast,
1 cup hot water,
1/2 tablespoon olive oil,
2 1/2 cups unbleached white flour,
1 1/2 teaspoons salt,

juliewn, Jul 28, 5:08pm
Directions: **Dont be put off by the absence of whole-wheat flour.This bread is not fluffy and has a good chewy crust. Prepare the starter the night before you want to serve it. Dont be tempted to use more yeast than stated. To make starter: Dissolve vegan sugar in water.Add vegan milk and sprinkle yeast on top.Do not stir.Leave until frothy.Mix in flour to form a loose batter.Cover bowl and leave overnight. To make dough: Sprinkle yeast onto water in a small bowl.Do not stir.Leave for 5 minutes to dissolve.Add to the starter, along with the olive oil.Mix well.

juliewn, Jul 28, 5:09pm
Continuing Rebecca's Ciabatta. Mix in the flour to form a wet sticky dough.Beat with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes.It will be too wet to knead.Cover bowl and rise until tripled in size, approximately 3 hours.Do not stir. Generously sift more flour on 2 ungreased baking trays.Scrape half the dough out onto a tray.* Dont expect the dough to resemble regular bread dough.IT DOES NOT. Much, much softer.Using well-floured hands, or a spatula, shape carefully into a rough rectangular or oval shape.Dust loaf with sifted flour.Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Leave loaves to proof, uncovered, for 20 minutes.Bake in center of oven for approximately 30 minutes at 425 Fahrenheit. Serves: 2 loaves

juliewn, Jul 28, 5:11pm
There sure are some delicious recipes in the site there. thanks again. :-)

juliewn, Jul 29, 2:53pm
You're welcome.. hope you've found the thread helpful :-)

juliewn, Jul 30, 10:25am
That's great Kat. :-) Bumping for Tania 007.

kiwiscrapper1, Jul 30, 1:43pm
cliff609 Probably too late but I have the same bread maker and havent used for a long time, decided to get into it again - the first two even the birds wouldnt eat them, then rememebered I replaced one cup of flour with wholemeal flour and I add extra small amount of water, check to see it's not too dry and sticking to the sides. It worked and even my grandaughter asked for more. My book tells me in the front about NZ equivilants.

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:14pm
and for beetroot chutney .

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:14pm
oops. wrong thread! :-)

juliewn, Jul 30, 2:53pm
You're welcome. hope you've found the thread helpful :-)