Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 32 / 54
juliewn, Jul 20, 1:30pm
Bumping for Dragonstar_nz . hope this helps.

sumstyle, Jul 21, 7:19am
bump ,

juliewn, Jul 21, 12:49pm
Hi Lizab. that's great. :-) bet it tasted good. Hi Cherrylane. as Evorotorua has posted you can bake the bread in a dish/tin/pan of some kind - or place some baking paper on a baking tray and shape the dough into an oval shape (or any shape you prefer) on that. Rise, sprinkle the cheese over (add chopped bacon, ham, onion or seeds or nuts too if you want)and bake as usual. The baking tray way will give you a similar shape to Vienna loaves sold in bakery's etc.and the dish/tin way will give a more contained loaf as it will bake to that shape without spreading. Enjoy your goodies.

juliewn, Jul 21, 12:49pm
Hi Evorotorua - I hadn't thought of using a cast iron pan - is the crust crunchy after being cooked that way! I'm guessing it would taste delicious too. Thanks for your help.

juliewn, Jul 21, 12:54pm
On Masterchef last night, when looking back at previous dishes made by the contestants, one had made a seafood chowder, and served it in a hollowed out sourdough roll. it looked amazing. I'm going to do that sometime soon using my basic bread recipe made into rolls. The rolls on the programme had been baked, then the top had been cut off (I'd leave them till they were cool so the crust is firmer than when straight from the oven), the bread inside removed, then the chowder placed inside, and the lid returned placed on an angle - and served. would be a popular dish to serve for guests I'd guess.

buzzy110, Jul 22, 1:37am
Now that's a great idea and of course one that can be expanded upon. Just think Pumpkin soup in pumpkin rolls, Tomato soup in tomato flavoured rolls, soda bread dumplings in Irish Stew (not quite the same),There must be a number of great combination out there.

buzzy110, Jul 22, 1:43am
Have been ploughing through this thread at a rate of about 1 page a week for a while now. Jules, you are obviously an inspiration and I'd like to ask a question if I may. I am currently finding out how great sourdough is. This is my first ever real success with breadmaking. I have tried several times to make a pizza base with leftover sourdough but find that it just keeps rising up and shrinking in (as in the dough is pulled inward as it rises) as I try to shape it. I can't spin it sadly. How do you spread out the pizza dough to achieve a thin crust! Can I use a rolling pin!

buzzy110, Jul 22, 4:50am
Hi jules. Ignore my last post. I was out today and visited my 'other friend', the library and discovered that I can, indeed, use a rolling pin. In fact the author (a 3 star michelin chef) had pictures in his book which showed him using a rolling pin and gave a very helpful tip on how to stop the dough from shrinking back inward once it had been shaped to size. So thanks anyway.

lizab, Jul 22, 8:38am
. buzzy please share the tip on stopping the dough shrinking back when rolling it out - I'm intrigued! :) Thanks

juliewn, Jul 22, 3:57pm
and. Bumping.

buzzy110, Jul 23, 1:25am
Oh dear.When I read it I thought it said to make the underside of the dough damp, once it was to size and sort of stick it to the baking stone or dish. However, on re-reading he suggests something quite different to what I thought I'd read. His recipe calls for the dough to be kept slightly sticky. Roll it out on a floured surface then roll round the rolling pin. Transfer the dough to your stone or cooking sheet, ensuring you put the top, more wet side is face down. When it shrinks back, push it back to its original shape with fingers dipped in flour. Basically, the dough will sort of 'stick' to the stone.

mark86, Jul 23, 5:39am
quick bread base bread mix
3 cups high grade flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp yeast

put into breadmaker to knead and prep below(or you can knead it yourself)

savoury:
grated cheese, ham, sundried toms, basil, rosemary

sweet:
jar of nutella, 2 sliced bananas, chopped nuts

once breads knead, divide into twouse one for each sav and sweet;

make a sausage 50cms long and inch wide and roll it 1cm thin and add toppings, then roll back to sausage and either coil up or bake as a (french stick or sausage)

leave 15mins in warm draft free to rise, then 35 mins in oven 210'C

enjoy!

juliewn, Jul 23, 8:59am
Hi Rose. check out my recipes on the first page of this thread. they can easily be adapted to a multi grain dough and baked as per the recipe's. Use 1 cup multi-grain mix and about 5 cups of white flour (or you could replace one cup of the white flour with wholemeal flour) in any of those recipes. this will give a similar result to a Molenberg loaf. Hope this helps. .

juliewn, Jul 23, 9:00am
Bumping for Wahinetoa. .

sebfinals, Jul 23, 9:40pm
Brand of Breadmaker! Hi there, I would like to buy a breadmaker but have no idea which one. Family of five, eat over a loaf a day, eat wholegrain and would like to make pizza bases! Any ideas! The consumer report is out of date, recommends the Panasonic which you can't get in New Zealand anymore. Thanks!

kat35, Jul 23, 11:50pm
Fab fab, happy hubby since i found this thread my hubby is so happy that i got the bread maker gong again,probably no good 4 us, but they are sooo good.thanks guys

buzzy110, Jul 24, 12:54am
Well I followed this chef's advice this morning and wasn't having such good luck. Dough kept trying to do its own thing. So I wet my fingers and gently spread a sheen of water all over my dough andturned it damp side down, onto a sheet of baking paper and rolled out my dough to paper thin with relatively little fuss. I then put the filled pizza onto my hot oven stone, baking paper and all. Worked brilliantly and didn't stick to anything. Highly recommended.

rupps, Jul 24, 12:58am
Vogels style breadmaker bread please - does anyone have one! Also I've tried to get kibbled wheat, but a lot of places don't have it, and there's no Bin Inn close to us either.

bunny51, Jul 24, 1:31am
I got my kibbled wheat from the health shop. ALso I have seen it in the bulk section of pac n save.

bunny51, Jul 24, 1:34am
I accidently got my pizza base to not shrink. I rolled it out like normal then when it was the right size I put it in the pizza tray (And it shrunk like normal) When I had finished rolling/fitting in tray I covered it with oiled glad wrap as I wasn't making the pizza then. I covered it tightly then I noticed that when I smothed the dough/ spread it out to the sides it stayed there and it was still there when I went back later to make the pizzas.

danielvds, Jul 24, 11:47am
952 I purchased a 1 kg bag of Kibbled wheat at New World the other day.The brand was Sunvalley if that helps

evorotorua, Jul 25, 5:18am
Hi Julie I missed this thread over the last few days sorry. yes the cast iron pan makes a lovely crust. My pan has a wooden handle with a metal rod running through it that srews the handle to the pan. I just unsrew it and use that. Makes a lovely size round dome loaf. Nice with soup. Erica

juliewn, Jul 25, 1:06pm
Hi Erica. now I've clicked who you are. sorry! I've been used to you as a different name. how are you! I hope all is well for you. Your cast iron pan sounds great. I'd guess the bread is rather moreish. Take care. warm thoughts. Julie

juliewn, Jul 25, 1:11pm
Hi Rupps. I've copied the following from post 449 in this thread. the recipe is very popular. "This is what was used in a breville breadmaker
This was sooo delicious. almost cake like, I couldn't get enough of it, I'm about to have a go mixing it all by hand and cooking in the oven! This is adapted from the breadmaker recipe book.* Water 375ml * Oil 3 Tbsp * Salt 2 tsp * Sugar 3 Tbsp * Bread flour (high grade) 2 cups * Wholemeal flour 2 cups * Gluten flour 2 Tbsp * Bread Improver 1 tsp * Milk Powder 2 Tbsp *Sunflower Seeds 3 Tbsp * Kibble wheat 3 1/2 Tbsp * Whole linseeds 3 Tbsp * Sesame seeds 3 Tbsp * Pumpkin seeds 3 Tbsp * Poppy Seeds 2 Tbsp *Yeast (active dried) 2 tsp * All into the breadmaker! oz4uk"

juliewn, Jul 25, 1:12pm
continued: " Well, I baked this from scratch this afternoon! I omitted the bread improver and the gluten flour and milk powder, I put in 1tsp of milk instead. It made a loaf and 3 large rolls. It is devine! Turned out it only needed 20 mins in a 220C oven. Though next time I'll cook it at 180 or 200C. Everyone is currently tucking into fresh seed bread! Yum yum! It proved for 3hrs, 2hrs initially, then an hour once in loaf tin and rolled into balls.
oz4uk" - I hope this helps.