Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 31 / 54
juliewn, Jul 11, 5:31am
Hi Everyone..

I've been experimenting with bread recipes lately - and have been making my bread recipe from the first page of this thread in a different way, and using a mix of grains:

Place 1 cupful of a mix of grains into a heat-proof jug that's at least 2 cups in size. - I'm using a mix of kibbled wheat, rolled rye (they look similar to rolled oats), corn grits and kibbled rye.

Pour boiling water over these, filling the jug to the two cup level.

Use a knife to stir the grains through the water, and then leave until the temperature of the mix has reached a tepid warmth, that's suitable for yeast - about 20-30 minutes. During this time, the grains will swell to absorb the liquid.

In a large bowl, place:
2 cups flour (I use high grade), 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 2 slightly rounded tablespoons of Surebake yeast.
Stir together.
Add 2 cups tepid (hand temperature) water and whisk till smooth - it's a thickish batter.
Add the grains mix and mix well through the yeast mix.

Cover and leave in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes, until the mix is bubbling quite rapidly.. as though it has just come to a boil.

Add a cup of fine-ground cornmeal - or you could use any other type of flour - rye flour, etc.. Stir through.

Then:
1. For a no-knead style:
Add about 2 1/2 to 3 cups white flour - until you can only just mix it with a wooden spoon (which is the easiest way to mix it), and then pour the dough into a large dish (roasting size), loaf pan's, or smaller dishes, half filling the containers, as the dough will rise.

or.. 2.:
Add up to about 3 cups of flour - until you can knead the dough easily.. knead until it springs back when pushed down lightly with your finger-tip, then shape as you want it, place in tins or on trays,

For both methods - cover and rise until doubled in size and bake at 230°C till the bread sounds hollow when tapped with your finger tip or a knife.

The grains will be quite crisp on the top of the bread once cooked - and soften as it cools..

Enjoy.. :-)

juliewn, Jul 11, 8:23am
Hiya Tracey. :-) and bumping for Elesha.

glenj, Jul 11, 7:51pm
bumping for firebird plenty of information onbread and help for breadmaker machines

raewyn64, Jul 11, 9:09pm
rolls and rolls I want to make some more bread rolls using the dough option on my bread maker. They came out great last time so want to make more. I use a pre-bread mix of country grain/wholemeal.
I only want to use half of the dough for the bread rolls and want to make some of those roll up type breads - where you lay the dough out and layer mayo and ham and tomatoes etc and tehn roll it up and slice it then bake it.
Question is can I use the same dough for this and if so after teh breadmaker has made teh dough for the bread rolls I have to put them in a warm place to rise - do I have to do something with the roll-up dough or does it not need that extra rise!
Thanks - I hope that makes sense :)

juliewn, Jul 12, 5:31am
Hi Everyone.

I've been experimenting with bread recipes lately - and have been making my bread recipe from the first page of this thread in a different way, and using a mix of grains:

Place 1 cupful of a mix of grains into a heat-proof jug that's at least 2 cups in size. - I'm using a mix of kibbled wheat, rolled rye (they look similar to rolled oats), corn grits and kibbled rye.

Pour boiling water over these, filling the jug to the two cup level.

Use a knife to stir the grains through the water, and then leave until the temperature of the mix has reached a tepid warmth, that's suitable for yeast - about 20-30 minutes. During this time, the grains will swell to absorb the liquid.

In a large bowl, place:
2 cups flour (I use high grade), 2 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt and 2 slightly rounded tablespoons of Surebake yeast.
Stir together.
Add 2 cups tepid (hand temperature) water and whisk till smooth - it's a thickish batter.
Add the grains mix and mix well through the yeast mix.

Cover and leave in a warm place for about 20-30 minutes, until the mix is bubbling quite rapidly. as though it has just come to a boil.

Add a cup of fine-ground cornmeal - or you could use any other type of flour - rye flour, etc. Stir through.

Then:
1. For a no-knead style:
Add about 2 1/2 to 3 cups white flour - until you can only just mix it with a wooden spoon (which is the easiest way to mix it), and then pour the dough into a large dish (roasting size), loaf pan's, or smaller dishes, half filling the containers, as the dough will rise.

or. 2.:
Add up to about 3 cups of flour - until you can knead the dough easily. knead until it springs back when pushed down lightly with your finger-tip, then shape as you want it, place in tins or on trays,

For both methods - cover and rise until doubled in size and bake at 230°C till the bread sounds hollow when tapped with your finger tip or a knife.

The grains will be quite crisp on the top of the bread once cooked - and soften as it cools.

Enjoy. :-)

jenna68, Jul 12, 10:05pm
Here's another gentle bump for ya guitarman, fingers crossed!:o)

juliewn, Jul 13, 9:00am
Hi Raewyn - yes you can use the same dough for the roll-up goodies - and once you've rolled them up, place them on the tray as you would the rolls, cover and rise till doubled in size and bake as you would the rolls. You can either make the filled roll as one long roll, to slice once baked, or cut that roll into slices and place on the baking paper covered or greased tray, rise and bake. and. enjoy.

juliewn, Jul 13, 12:12pm
Here 'tis. Hope this helps.

juliewn, Jul 14, 12:41pm
Hi Guitarman. and *Waves Hi to Tracey* I've just seen your question Guitarman - I'm sorry for taking so long to answer. Your own baking powder can be made - to replace 1 tsp baking powder, use 1/3 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp cream of tartar and 1/8 tsp of salt. I find it's best to keep the ingredients separate in my pantry, and mix them as I'm making a recipe. I find this gives a better result than baking powder. I hope this is of help.

guitarman525, Jul 15, 7:13am
Thanx Juliewn Many thanx for your reply!
I will now have a go at making some and se how i get on!
By the way your basic bread recipe is just fantastic and i have passed it onto lots of folks who want to give bread making a go.with great results!
So thanx for sharing it with everybody.Have a great night.

juliewn, Jul 15, 2:06pm
Bumping for Moreorless :-)

juliewn, Jul 15, 2:20pm
Thanks Guitarman. it's lovely to read that you enjoy the recipe. doesn't the house smell great when it's baking. :-)

juliewn, Jul 15, 4:01pm
Bumping for Paul756 and no-knead bread recipes. :-)

moreorless, Jul 15, 10:20pm
Thanks Juliewn, great will have a read.

lizab, Jul 16, 9:36pm
. have dough resting in hot water cupboard. It was quite hard to knead though. Should I have added a little more water or a little less flour though !

goodbooks, Jul 17, 9:43am
A quick "bread" that's good with soups. Make a scone dough, adding 1 tsp mustard and lots of grated cheese to the dry ingredients before adding the milk. Once mixed, press the dough out till about 2cm thick, on baking paper lined tray, and sprinkle with grated cheese and some sunflower, sesame or pumpkin seeds (or a mix of the three) and/or rolled oats etc. Bake at scone temp until golden and cooked through. Cut into thick slices to serve. Tasty on a cold winter's night with hot soup.

juliewn, Jul 17, 3:09pm
Hi Liza. the dough will feel fairly firm after being kneaded the first time - a way to tell when it's been kneaded enough and has the right flour/water ratio,is to push a finger tip down into the dough about 1-2cm's - and the dough will bounce back up after being pressed like this. If the dough is sticky, a little more flour is needed. It's a sticky job if a little more water is needed. it helps to add the last cup of flour (in the recipe) slowly, using just enough till that stage is reached when you press the dough down with your finger tip. Cover and leave in a warm place till doubled in size, then shape as you want and rise again and continue with the recipe. I'd guess that your bread came out fine after you left it to rise. let us know how you got on.I hope you enjoyed it.

juliewn, Jul 18, 4:21pm
Bumping. :-)

bunny51, Jul 18, 9:18pm
bumping for Rose 7 Hope you find some recipes here that you will enjoy and find useful

lizab, Jul 18, 10:56pm
thx juliewn I made a second batch, but added a wee splash more of water and added only three cups of flour (used most of the fourth cup while kneading) and it turned out great. Trial and error is good fun :)

rose7, Jul 19, 3:47am
haha i found you all thanks so much this is great. I would love the recipe for a muilt grain. I brought some mulit grain mix at the super market. and Surebake yeast. what else and how much of do I need. thanks everyone

glenj, Jul 19, 10:55am
bread dough post no.4 I notice in your bread dough that no oil or butter in recipe!

juliewn, Jul 19, 1:16pm
Hi Glen. no. it doesn't need any. just the ingredients that are there. hope you like your goodies if you try the recipe.

cherrylane1, Jul 19, 8:34pm
I am wanting to make a loaf of bread in the oven - more vienna loaf like with cheese on top.I have the dough in my bread maker on the manual cycle, but not sure the best way to shape and cook it.I was thinking that I could put it into a loaf tin to cook it.Do I shape it, let it rise, put cheese on top and then bake!Also do I have to do anything to the loaf tin before I put the dough in.Thanks very much for your help for a bread novice.PS - I think this thread is amazing!

evorotorua, Jul 19, 8:47pm
loaf for cherrylane yes use a bread tin or cake tin or a cast iron frying pan. You can pretty much use anything. Just grease it first. i had a friend who used little terracotta flour pots with a hole in the bottom. I thought they were great. Put the dough in the pan and leave to rise. Then sprinkle over the cheese and bake.