Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 27 / 54
juliewn, Jun 1, 9:19am
Hi Spiral. I just had a look at the recipe. . and my reply to Raewyn above may be of help. I'd use ratio's of wholemeal flour to white flour as above. and the yeast is usually about 1 teaspoon of yeast (Surebake or dried yeast) to 1 cup flour. so the yeast amount in the recipe for 570gms flour would be lower than what is usually recommended. The combination of yeast amounts and all wholemeal flour would give a denser result. To create your own recipe, you could try this. use the basic recipe I've posted on page 1 of this thread. it's from post number 4, using the wholemeal quantities in post number 7. The ratio's given, using the amount of wholemeal flour in post 7, will give a result that's well flavoured and not too dense.

juliewn, Jun 1, 9:19am
You can make changes to the basic recipe - ie. use brown sugar or honey in place of the white sugar, or substitute some grains if you want. Give your dough a good amount of time to rise in a warm place, so it's well risen - this will help reduce the stronger yeasty flavour, though home-made bread tends to have a more yeasty flavour than purchased breads. I hope this helps. let us know how you get on.

fetish, Jun 2, 11:22pm
bumpity bump for people asking about bread making :)

fortuna_i, Jun 3, 4:45am
thanks Julie for the great recipe, I have been making yummy rolls for a while Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the buns fresh for longer? I use them with filling in my kiddies' lunchbox but even the day after baking they are not quite fresh. I guess they would be fine just wormed up in the oven but obviously it isn't an option at school

mamabear, Jun 3, 12:09pm
Bump for morning! .

juliewn, Jun 3, 12:20pm
Waves to Fetish! Hi. You're most welcome Eirin. and bumping the thread for pc_spares for Naan recipes.

fortuna_i, Jun 4, 4:45am
thanks Julie for the great recipe, I have been making yummy rolls for a while Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep the buns fresh for longer! I use them with filling in my kiddies' lunchbox but even the day after baking they are not quite fresh. I guess they would be fine just warmed up in the oven but obviously it isn't an option at school

books4nz, Jun 5, 1:56pm
Hi Everyone. this was posted in another thread. sounds very good: "Preheat oven to 180°C. Makes one loaf. 2 cups self-raising wholemeal flour, 1/2 cup cold mashed potatoes, 1/4 cup honey, 1 cup currants, 2 tablespoons sunflower or canola oil. Add a heaped tablespoon of soya milk powder or milk powder if you have it - it's ok to leave it out if you don't. Mix all ingredients together then knead lightly for 2-3 minutes. Shape into a round loaf and place into a greased pan or onto a greased tray. Bake for approx. 45 minutes or until it tests done. Alternatives: To make a delicious cake, add 3/4 cup more honey, 1 cup chopped dates and 4 tablespoons more of oil. Bake in a greased tin."

juliewn, Jun 5, 2:51pm
Hi. I saw that recipe too Books. have you made it!. I wonder what it would be like to add some grains. or to substitute some of the wholemeal flour for some grains. I was also thinking that malt would be nice substituted for the honey too. I think it would taste great also.

juliewn, Jun 6, 12:21pm
Bumping for Standard.. hope the recipes are of help.. :-)

juliewn, Jun 6, 3:12pm
I've been experimenting with different types of bread and ways of proving it and baking it. using my bread dough recipe on page 1 of this thread, and adding just enough flour to form a sticky dough - too sticky to knead. then placing half the dough on a baking paper covered oven tray, using a knife to spread it out so it forms an oval or round shape. I cover the top with another piece of baking paper, then cover that with a clean tea towel. Leave it to stand in a warm place until doubled in size. Don't push the dough down at all. Remove the top piece of baking paper - if the dough has stuck to it, leave it on and it'll come off easily once the bread is baked. Bake at 190°C till golden and sounds hollow when tapped. You could check with a skewer to ensure the dough is cooked. Place on a cake rack to cool - wrapped in a tea towel if you'd like a softer chewier crust, or without a cover if you prefer a crisper crust. Enjoy.

juliewn, Jun 6, 3:13pm
For the other half of the recipe, repeat as above, or I place baking paper inside a shallow pyrex pie dish, place the rest of the dough in and spread it to cover the dish. Place another piece of baking paper on top as above, then cover again with plastic wrap, so the wrap covers the top of the whole dish. Place in the fridge and leave till needed - up to 2 days is fine. When needed, remove from the fridge and remove the plastic wrap. Place a tea towel over the baking paper on top of the dough, and rise in a warm place until doubled in size. Bake at 190­°C as above.

juliewn, Jun 6, 3:14pm
Making the bread this way gives a rustic look and taste - which improves with the slow rising that occurs in the fridge. and no kneading is required. It's also an easy way to make bread dough in advance, so it can be taken from the fridge, left to rise, then baked just before a meal when needed - great when entertaining. After placing the dough in a baking paper lined dish or tray, and before rising, you can also press a finger down into the dough all over the surface, then brush with oil - canola or olive, or your favourite oil, and sprinkle with freshly chopped herbs/olive slices/sundried tomatoes/cheese, etc. and/or salt, and cover with baking paper and a tea towel. Continue rising and baking as above.Enjoy. :-)

wron, Jun 7, 8:40am
Was on p3 (the last) Near the top but can't take the risk so saving!

juliewn, Jun 7, 12:21pm
Bumping for Standard. hope the recipes are of help. :-)

juliewn, Jun 7, 4:10pm
Bumping for delicious breads. a great time of year to make them to go with nourishing winter soups. :-)

jenna68, Jun 9, 7:05am
Geez julie, my breadmaker is stuffed and I am too lazy/busy to do it by hand, I wish I lived by you so I could come and pinch all your lovely loaves and rolls lol :o)

books4nz, Jun 9, 11:19am
Up to the top for Willow123 .

family007, Jun 10, 2:02am
Am trying out OPs bread recipe for the first time as I love bread especially home made. Having a nice Steaka dn Kidney casserole tonight which is cooking in the slowcooker and will have home made bread to dunk in the gravy. Friggin awesome!

mwood, Jun 11, 2:49am
I have been replacing the oil with an egg in my breadmaker with excellent results - the bread is lighter and doesn't compact like oiled bread when chewed.

juliewn, Jun 11, 1:27pm
For pumpkin bread. hope this helps.

juliewn, Jun 12, 11:16am
Hiya Tracey :-). hope you're not too long without a breadmaker. Want an easy way to make great no-knead bread! Make my basic dough on page one of this thread, adding the last cup of flour only until you can still mix the dough with a wooden spoon (or use a food processor or mixer with a dough hook). Once that stage is reached and the flour is all mixed in, you'll have a very thick batter. Pour that into 2 greased and baking paper lined loaf tin's, or 2 baking paper lined pie-dish's, or into two oval shapes on a baking paper lined tray. Place a piece of baking paper over the top of the mixture to cover the dough, then cover with a clean teatowel and leave in a warm place until doubled in size.

juliewn, Jun 12, 11:17am
Bake at 190°C, leaving the baking paper on top (as the dough will have stuck to the top piece of baking paper as it rises). Bake till golden - test with a skewer. You can take the top baking paper off when it's able to be removed without sticking to the dough.The recipe will make two loaves a little smaller than a purchased Vienna Loaf.

juliewn, Jun 12, 11:32am
Alternatives: Use half the dough to rise and bake once it's made, and place the other half of the dough in a tin or dish, cover with baking paper and then with plastic wrap so the wrap covers the dish completely. Place in your fridge, and bake when you're ready to. remove the dish of dough from the fridge and leave in a warm place until doubled in size. Bake as above.The dough can be kept in your fridge for up to 2 days before baking. Enjoy. :-)

juliewn, Jun 12, 11:42am
Alter the mix by substituting 1 cup of the flour with 1 cup of another type of flour or grains. wholemeal flour, rye flour, rye meal, kibbled wheat, cornmeal, etc.etc. For variety, add one of more of the following into the mix, or on top of it: some grated cheese and some finely sliced onion, a teaspoon or so of mixed spice and/or cinnamon and a little extra sugar, chopped olives, or some chopped bacon or ham, or some pineapple pieces, chopped sundried tomatoes, 1/4 cup or so of a favourite pickle or relish, etc.etc. make your own custom-made goodies by making the bread just as you'd like it to be.