Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 26 / 54
robman7, May 21, 11:19pm
recoating I would be interested to know where to get the recoating done as I have a paddle that would benifit from this

k1andb2, May 22, 1:40am
bump. for paul756 :=}

juliewn, May 22, 4:25am
Hi Dibble :-). I use whatever high grade flour is on special and have found they all work well.

For the different grains, I buy them at Bin Inn. and once home, place them in glass jars with lids to store them. Rolled rye and rolled barley are two favourites here. I label them as some can look similar to others.

I've found the kibbled grains are best soaked in some hot water for about 10-15 minutes before using them. the end result will be chewy in the bread, whereas if left as is, they can be a little hard in the bread. If there's 1/2 cup of a kibbled grain in the recipe, I place it in 1/2 cup of just boiled water from the kettle, and leave to soak. The grain will absorb all the liquid and you won't need to adjust the recipe liquid or dry amounts at all.

Hope this is of help.

juliewn, May 22, 4:36am
I keep any yeast in my fridge. I'm using the Tasti brand too, and like it better, somehow seems fresher.

I've gone back to using yeast granules rather than the Surebake type yeasts that have 'improver's' added. I make in the same way as I did with Surebake. as in my next post.

juliewn, May 22, 4:37am
Bread Recipe: - the way I make it now. so updated from how I made it on page one of this thread.

In a large bowl mix 2 cups flour, 1 tsp salt, 5 level tsp's yeast granules, 3 tsp sugar. Add 2 cups water that is slightly warmer than your hand temperature, so it feels a little warmer than your hand.

Cover and leave to stand about 7-10 minutes until swelling and going slightly frothy.

Add around 4 cups more flour and mix with a wooden spoon until it's too thick to mix that way, then use your hand, mixing then beginning to knead as it gets thicker.

Add the last cup of flour slowly as it may need more or less. keep kneading, adding a little at a time, until the dough is smooth and not sticky.

At this stage, most recipes say to cover and prove till doubled in size.
Instead, I shape the dough as I want it to be - rolls, loaves, etc. place it in tins or on trays, cover and leave till doubled in size.

Bake at 230°C until lightly browned, and they sound hollow when tapped with your finger nail.

Place on a rack. cover with a cloth to cool if you want a chewier top, or leave uncovered for a crustier top.

This can be altered using any of the suggested methods on page one of this thread.

Enjoy. :-)

juliewn, May 22, 4:42am
Hi. the vat milk would be fine in place of the water and milk powder.

If there's one tablespoon of milk powder in the recipe, replace that with 1 extra tablespoon of flour or another dry ingredient. wheat-germ, a grain, etc.

Use the vat milk to the same quantity as the water in your recipe.

You could either leave the oil out or use it, whichever you prefer. maybe give both a try to see what you like best.

juliewn, May 22, 1:43pm
Bumping so someone can help. .

spiral21, May 23, 1:05am
i have now tried to make 2 loaves of wholemeal bread, both came out really dense, the first tasted way too yeasty, the second is nicer but still yeasty, i did let it prove.heres the last recipe i used: http://www.deliaonline.com/cookery-school/how-to/how-to-make-wholemeal-bread,19,AR.html
please help! whats wrong with my bread lol

spiral21, May 23, 1:06am
oh i make it in the oven, not breadmaker

jenna68, May 23, 7:00pm
Bumpin, too good to lose! :)

juliewn, May 24, 1:39pm
Sounds delicious Peter.. :-)

and bumping for Jeeza1

juliewn, May 25, 1:12pm
Hi Crested. I would try wrapping the bread firmly in a clean teatowel or similar, as soon as it comes from the oven/machine. The bread would normally stay softer when this is done, so it stays fresher. If air is able to get to the loaf, that will cause it to dry out more quickly. Hope this helps.

juliewn, May 25, 1:39pm
Sounds delicious Peter. :-)

and bumping for Jeeza1

nettie14, May 26, 6:58pm
bump . bump .

juliewn, May 27, 11:21am
Bumping for Jetxr8 :-)

juliewn, May 27, 4:13pm
Bumping for bread baking. :-)

toenails, May 27, 10:26pm
Kambrook Breadmaker I have just won one of these with no manual, all I need to know is the order I put the ingredients. When I use my Panasonic I put the yeast first, in my Sanyo I put the flour in first, what do I do for this Kambrook! Please!

juliewn, May 28, 2:24pm
Hi Toenails. check out this site - the manual for your breadmaker may be included: http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/ .hope this helps.

unknowndisorder, May 28, 11:05pm
bump as it's a brilliant thread :)

eirin, May 30, 9:15am
Hi Juliewn Thanks for your message I really appreciate it.

juliewn, May 30, 11:39am
Hi. bumping for grain bread options. . hope this helps.

valentino, May 31, 8:06am
Holiday weekend. Bumped just in case.

raewyn64, Jun 1, 1:48am
lbellpost # 39 I made the Ham & Mayo twirls today - well my version of them. I used the dough mixture as per post # 39 in my new breadmaker and it made it great. For the filling I used some sun dried tomatoes, shaved ham, mozerella cheese and some feta and garlic mayo I had. I had a problem rolling it all up afterwards but it came out ok just not really pretty to look at. Baked them up and we had half for lunch today. In my oven I needed about 35 minutes to get them to a golden brown crusty stage.
Thanks so much for posting the recipe - I would like to try them with wholemeal flour nextt ime - any suggestions on how they might come out and any ingredients I might have to adjust quantities of (I have heard wholemeal flour needs a bit more liquid than white!).
Thanks once again.

snapit, Jun 1, 7:03am
someone wanting bread recipe .

juliewn, Jun 1, 9:05am
Hi Everyone. I'm glad the thread is still going - have been away longer than expected. Hi Raewyn. I'd use half wholemeal flour, half white - (or 1/3 wholemeal to 2/3 white flour) or add some grains in place of some of the wholemeal quantity - kibbled wheat, kibbled rye, cornmeal - either fine or medium ground are good, soy grits, etc.etc. Bin Inn type shops have a good range - and you can mix them together as you want. I've found a mix of the above grains gives a molenberg type result. The reason for using half and half wholemeal to white flour is that wholemeal flour on it's own gives a very dense result which can tend to be a bit gluggy once cooked. You may need to add a little extra water - or this is easier - add the last cup of flour slowly, a little at a time, kneading the dough till it's no longer sticky, so you get the right amount of flour for the dough - this is easier than adding extra water as the water can make a sticky mix until it's blended in. I hope this helps. let us know how you get on. enjoy your goodies. :-)