Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 25 / 54
juliewn, May 14, 1:36pm
Once they're cooked, place them on a cooling rack and brush the tops with warm water. Cover the rolls with a clean tea towel and leave the rolls to cool under that - you'll end up with chewier rolls. If wanting a crispy type texture, once you've brought the rolls out of the oven, brush the top with warm water, and leave them uncovered to cool. Another thing you can do to achieve extra texture as well as extra fibre, is to replace 1/2 to 3/4 cup of flour with the same quanity of rolled oats, when placing the ingredients in your bread maker. The oats will be absorbed by the dough, so you won't be able to see them - the rolls will be slightly firmer in texture, and you'll know that extra goodness is in them. Enjoy your new machine - and your rolls. :-)

nettie14, May 14, 4:36pm
Sunbream recipe I make this in the Panasonic so you might like to give it a try.For Xlarge loaf, 3 tsp breakmaker yeast, 600g flour (i use mixture of white and wholemeal or white and grain (those premixed ones, ie, 300g white & 300g premixed grain), 3 Tbsp milk powder, 1 tsp each salt and sugar, 2 Tbsp oil.400ml water.I often set it on the timer to bake at night.Put ingredients into breadmaker in order shown.Good luck.

durack, May 14, 9:46pm
Sunbeam recipe Hi everyone
I have made so many different versions of the loaf, that I can't remember them all. The second to last one was
11/2 cups water ( I made that 375mls) , 2 Tab. oil, 2 tsp salt, 4 cups flour, 2Tab.milk powder, 2 Tab.white sugar,4tsp yeast.

lalah, May 15, 4:40am
Thanks juliewn. I will try your suggestions.There was salt in both recipes.The French bread wasn't too bad except that the crust made a real mess!I will try your trick with the water and tea towel on that.I like the rolled oats idea.Will try that too.Thanks.

durack, May 15, 4:49am
Sunbeam recipe Sorry
Still learning my way around this. Have replied to other thread as well.
Cheers
Sue

peterbk, May 16, 5:09am
I have long searched for a recipe for a Vogels-like bread and recently adapted Jim Lahey’s no knead white bread to come up with a loaf that is just like vogels, moist and chewy with a great crust. It is baked in a pre heated cast iron dutch oven with a lid, but a pyrex or ceramic container can also be used. I have also cooked it in a bread tin covered with an oven tray. No kneading required, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. The long slow rise is what gives the bread a chewy texture. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 22 hours before ready to bake.
Jacquelines slow-rise vogels bread recipe
Place the following dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, (seeds all optional)
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp gluten
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
Add
3 1/4 cups cold water
1 tsp wine vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave on bench for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Dust flour over the bottom of the bowl and place the dough seam side down into the bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C and place the 4 1/2 litre cast iron dutch oven and lid in to heat also.
4. Tip dough gently into hot dutch oven container, seam side up.(I use a silicone spatula to ease the dough from the sides of the bowl cleanly as I tip it into the bowl. I try to prevent any strands of dough from breaking)
Sprinkle quickly with water and put lid on pot and place back in oven. 5. Bake 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool..
The quinoa and all the seeds can be omitted to make a loaf like the "Original Vogels loaf" , costs a lot less but still gives a great textured and chewy bread. I still like to add sunflower seeds if i have them though, they do make it very tasty.
Enjoy please post feedback and queries
Jacqueline

juliewn, May 16, 10:52am
Hi Lalah. I hope the suggestions will help. let us know how you get on. It could also be worth having a look at the ingredients list of your favourite breads. there may be something included which helps with finding the taste and texture you want.

juliewn, May 16, 11:12am
Bumping for Snowboard123 and pizza recipes.

juliewn, May 16, 11:14am
And to freeze dough to make pizza's: Use the bread dough recipe I've posted on the first page of this thread - make it until you're at the stage of shaping the dough as you want it to be. You can either roll out pieces to the size you want, then wrap and freeze like that, then when needed, spread toppings over the frozen dough, leave covered until the dough has thawed, then bake as usual. Or shape the dough into large balls and flatten slightly with your hand so the thickness is even - about 2-3cm thick. Freeze, then take out at least 1/2 an hour before needed. Thaw, covered with plastic wrap so the surface doesn't dry out, then roll out and top with goodies, and bake as usual. Enjoy.

juliewn, May 16, 11:20am
Hi Sue. thanks for replying. Your ingredient list looks fine. are you using water that's a tepid temperature - if you put your finger in the water, it'll feel slightly warmer than your hand temperature, when it's at the right temperature. It's the warmth that'll activate the yeast to rise your dough. Nettie has posted a Sunbeam recipe above that you could use. I hope this helps. let us know how you get on. Have a lovely weekend. Cheers. Julie

lalah, May 16, 11:48am
Tried again. Made the French bread again and was a bit more careful with measuring, especially the salt.Did the water and tea towel trick which improved the texture of the crust.It was pretty good! Never thought of reading the ingredients list of breads I like.Will do so.Thanks again for another good idea.

peterbk, May 17, 5:09am
I have long searched for a recipe for a Vogels-like bread and recently adapted Jim Lahey’s no knead white bread to come up with a loaf that is just like vogels, moist and chewy with a great crust. It is baked in a pre heated cast iron dutch oven with a lid, but a pyrex or ceramic container can also be used. I have also cooked it in a bread tin covered with an oven tray. No kneading required, just mix up ingredients and let time do the kneading for you. The long slow rise is what gives the bread a chewy texture. Only requires a few minutes hands on time, but requires forward planning as can take up to 22 hours before ready to bake.
Jacquelines slow-rise vogels bread recipe
Place the following dry ingredients in a large bowl and mix well, (seeds all optional)
½ cup kibbled wheat
¼ cup kibbled rye
4 cups high grade bread flour
1 cup whole meal flour
¼ cup rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
2 Tbsp Quinoa
3 tbsp flax seed
3 Tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp sesame seeds
2 tbsp gluten
2 Tbsp skim milk powder
1/3 teaspoon instant yeast
2 3/4 teaspoons salt
Add
3 1/4 cups cold water
1 tsp wine vinegar
Mix well until a shaggy dough forms.
Cover bowl and dough with a plastic bag and leave on bench for 12 -18 hours to rise. Leave for longer if cold weather, it needs to have bubbles forming on the top of the dough when ready
When dough is bubbly on top, stir and fold dough over on itself once or twice, using a silicone spatula.
Cover and let rest about 15 minutes.
1. Using a spatula, gently shape dough into a ball, folding it over on itself, no kneading necessary.
2. Dust flour over the bottom of the bowl and place the dough seam side down into the bowl. Cover and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.
3. Half an hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 220 deg C and place the 4 1/2 litre cast iron dutch oven and lid in to heat also.
4. Tip dough gently into hot dutch oven container, seam side up.(I use a silicone spatula to ease the dough from the sides of the bowl cleanly as I tip it into the bowl. I try to prevent any strands of dough from breaking)
Sprinkle quickly with water and put lid on pot and place back in oven. 5. Bake 35 minutes then remove lid and bake a further 15 minutes to brown top. Remove from oven, tip bread onto a rack, cover with a tea towel and leave to cool. Do not slice until cool.
The quinoa and all the seeds can be omitted to make a loaf like the "Original Vogels loaf" , costs a lot less but still gives a great textured and chewy bread. I still like to add sunflower seeds if i have them though, they do make it very tasty.
Enjoy please post feedback and queries
Jacqueline

sapphirez, May 17, 5:35am
Breville Icon Breadmaker I have just bought one today - i have my first loaf in there at the moment.Theres so many different recipes in the book, can't wait to try them all.

sapphirez, May 17, 10:31pm
Measurements I have just realized that Australian measurements are different to NZ.My first loaf of bread came out good.I am making a Garlic one now - cant wait to try it!

blackx, May 18, 12:52am
To save me a bit of time, does anyone know if any of the 880 posts on here, is for a bread recipe that does not require yeast and doesn't need kneading. Please also see my post on the thread about Cost of purchased bread v home made.TIA

sunflowers28, May 18, 2:46am
surebake. This was told to me by a baker friend( (she works in a test kitchen)Don't keep it in the refrigerate,store in a cupboard
I also get bettter bread if I set the breadmaker at night to have fresh in the morning.

happs1, May 18, 4:02am
Bumping for Trisha Blackx do you mean one like Rewanna(sp) Bread that uses a bug!

blackx, May 18, 5:20am
Hello Happs1, thanks for responding. No not with a "bug".I had a recipe (now lost) for bread that did not use yeast and didn't need kneading. It had mixed grains in it and the rising agent was ENO. I have tried making it from memory, but not as good as when I had the recipe. Another poster suggested in another thread, to adapt the recipe for Irish Soda Bread which I had already tried to do. However, I wondered if anyone has a recipe using ENO please! TIA

durack, May 19, 3:56am
Thanks - Sunbeam recipe Thanks Juliewn for that info. Yes I do use tepid water. Anyhow took the 4th breadmaker back, and am getting my old pan & paddle recoated. Made dough only in it Sunday, then cooked in oven. Beautiful bread again, but a bit more hassle. Thanks again Sue

lw007, May 19, 6:49am
Made my first batch of bread today from the recipe in the Oily Rag book - feasting off the smell of an oily rag.Absoulutely gorgeous.Did the basic bread recipe and added 2 tspns of chopped fresh rosemary.Crust was a bit tough for my liking (forgot to put in the small dish of water while the bread was baking).Will definitely have to start buying my flour in bulk.

juliewn, May 19, 8:13am
Good for you. I bet you're feeling delighted with your delicious bread. :-) take care though. making breads can become addictive! Have fun trialling recipes, adding bits and pieces and making your own creations.

juliewn, May 19, 12:04pm
Hi Blackx. I haven't heard of Eno. hopefully someone will see your post that can help. Hi Sue. I'm glad you're getting good results from your current breadmaker - hope it can be re-coated soon for you. let us know how you get on. Julie

fetish, May 19, 10:45pm
bumpity bump . :)

juliewn, May 20, 11:56am
Bumping for 1ferg :-)

crested, May 21, 1:18am
BREADMAKER BREAD. HELP. Have been making the SWEET FRUIT BREAD from the SUNBEAM RECEIPT BOOK.Its great and so tasty, BUT AFTER THE 2ND DAY, THE BREAD GOES HARD AS BRICK.

HAS juliewnany solutions!

Actually when I think about it,when Hubby made the bread, most of it went hard after the 2nd day.