Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 20 / 54
kimarg, Apr 5, 4:36am
French bread Have you got a recipe for french bread as well!

coolkiwibird, Apr 6, 3:46am
My yeast expired many years ago but lives on Made bread for the first time in years today. Bump for this and I would think not freeze the dough. It would kill the yeast.

juliewn, Apr 6, 7:35am
Bumping for Lythande to reply for you Lindy..

I'd think 1 tablespoon of salt would be too much for that quantity of flour.. 1 teaspoon sounds about right, as does 1 tablespoon of sugar.

I'd use 1 tablespoon of yeast - my recipe for no-knead bread - using the same recipe as is on page 1 of this thread, uses 2 tablespoons of yeast to 6 cups flour - so a ratio of 1 tab to 3 cups/750gms flour sounds right.. .

bunny51, Apr 6, 8:21am
Bread dough can be frozen Unbaked yeast dough (bread, pizza, rolls) can be frozen for about 1- 2 months. It is best to freeze yeast dough after shaping and before the second rising period, but the dough may be shaped after it has thawed, as well. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight bag to freeze.

juliewn, Apr 6, 9:32am
I've frozen bread dough too. I've kneaded the dough through to the end of the first stage where enough flour has been added to form a firm and not sticky dough. I then cut it into pieces. 1/ the size required for pizza - about the size of 1/2 to 2 cups equivalent, depending on how thick you like your pizza. 2/ In a size which would fit a loaf pan to make a loaf of bread, or some rolls, etc.etc. I wrap the pieces into close fitting plastic wrap, place into a plastic bag or a container, seal and freeze. When required, I take a piece from the freezer, thaw it, still closely wrapped, for several hours in the fridge until the dough is again pliable. I then knead it lightly on a floured surface, shape it and place it on baking paper ona slightly warmed tray or in greased pans or tins, and leave to rise in a warm place till doubled in size. Bake as usual. I prefer to freeze it this way, and knead then shape as above, as I find the dough seems fresher somehow. It works well.

juliewn, Apr 6, 9:33am
Hi Fetish. hope you're enjoying the breadmaker. your creation sounds wonderful - great for an Easter weekend tasty lunch. thanks for sharing your idea.

coolkiwibird, Apr 6, 11:54am
How about that! Live and learn. I would have sworn it would not work.I may try this.

juliewn, Apr 7, 7:35am
Bumping for Lythande to reply for you Lindy.

I'd think 1 tablespoon of salt would be too much for that quantity of flour. 1 teaspoon sounds about right, as does 1 tablespoon of sugar.

I'd use 1 tablespoon of yeast - my recipe for no-knead bread - using the same recipe as is on page 1 of this thread, uses 2 tablespoons of yeast to 6 cups flour - so a ratio of 1 tab to 3 cups/750gms flour sounds right. .

juliewn, Apr 7, 11:16am
Hi. here's a French Bread recipe. INGREDIENTS: 350 ml's warm water, 2 tablespoons Surebake yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt, 550 g flour. Directions: In a large bowl, stir together warm water, yeast, and sugar until smooth. Cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes. Add the oil, salt, and 2 cups flour,and mix in. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, using your hand as the mix gets firmer, until the dough is smooth and not sticky and the dough has pulled away from the sides of the bowl.

juliewn, Apr 7, 11:17am
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic - about 8 minutes. To check this, press your finger into the dough - if ready it will rise back up where you have pressed the dough down. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat. Cover with a damp cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume - about 1 hour. Push the dough down with your hands to deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface.

juliewn, Apr 7, 11:17am
Divide the dough into 4 (or more if you prefer) pieces, and form each into tube shaped rolls. Place on baking paper lined oven trays at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in size, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F. When the rolls are ready, spray them lightly with water. and place the trays in the oven. Quickly spray the rolls again after they've been cooking for 5 minutes, and again at 10 minutes. This makes for a crustier, chewier crust. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown and they sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven. and enjoy!

valentino, Apr 8, 2:39am
Bumping for tuiemma to peruse.

gbowcher, Apr 8, 5:25am
Vogel's recipe! Hi there everyone. I asked this question on the recipe forum before I realised there was a dedicated bread making one! Has anyone made a really good approximation of the classic Vogels loaf! The price of Vogel's is getting totally out of hand and we are hoping to make our own. Thanks in advance, Iain and Maree

fetish, Apr 8, 8:32pm
all recipes saved to their new homes at TMC's up to here, well saved to a txt file for moving over once I finish the HUGE preserves thread, along with a few others ! Great recipes, inspires me to get baking this easter :)

oz4uk, Apr 8, 8:37pm
hey there okay, so I've been bitten by the bread bug, and hand bake my own each week! BUT, I was thinking of treating myself to a breadmaker! But which one should I buy! I've got my eye on a george foreman. what are your recommendations! Oh, and does anyone know where I can buy bread improver from in Wellington!

rupps, Apr 9, 11:34pm
bread machine vogels alternative! Does anyone know if there's a bread machine recipe for a bread like vogels! I don't have time to go through the loads of pages on this thread. Thanks in advance

juliewn, Apr 10, 2:39pm
Hi :-). I bought a bread maker some years ago. and made bread regularly - and ate hot bread more than really needed too! We eventually decided we enjoyed the handmade breads more. and sold the breadmaker. Hopefully someone can add info about their recommendations of which machine to look for. Cheers. Julie

sylviasmother1, Apr 11, 8:49am
bumping :-)

juliewn, Apr 12, 4:36am
Give it a go CoolKiwi. . that's a cool trade name you have there.

jenna68, Apr 13, 8:11pm
Bumping :o)

jrchch, Apr 14, 5:48am

juliewn, Apr 14, 2:34pm
Bumping for Cucine..

lythande1, Apr 14, 7:30pm
Ooops, haven't looked for a while. yes that should have been 1 tsp. Tbsp !!! Lol! Would have risen to the ceiling!!!

1 tsp for sure.

mamabear, Apr 15, 5:39am
Tandaco yeast and bread improver:Breville recipes Hi there.just bought a Breville BB280 bread machine.Recipe for basic white bread using 3 cups flour states 1tsp bread improver and 1.5 tsp Tandaco yeast.If I use Surebake here in NZ how much would I need to use please!The 1.5 tablespoons sugar sounds a lot - could I reduce that!

bunny51, Apr 15, 6:47am
Surebake yeast has the bread improvers in and the quantity is 1 teaspoon of surebake yeast per cup of flour.