Bread Thread. For Hand & Bread Machine Recipes :-)

Page 18 / 54
oz4uk, Mar 23, 9:25am
:). Well, I baked this from scratch this afternoon! I omitted the bread improver and the gluten flour and milk powder, I put in 1tsp of milk instead. It made a loaf and 3 large rolls. It is devine! Turned out it only needed 20 mins in a 220C oven. Though next time I'll cook it at 180 or 200C. Everyone is currently tucking into fresh seed bread! Yum yum! It proved for 3hrs, 2hrs initially, then an hour once in loaf tin and rolled into balls.

juliewn, Mar 23, 1:26pm
Hi Oz. Oops! I read your original post incorrectly, thinking you wanted to make the dough in the breadmaker. Your bread sounds delicious. Did you use Surebake Yeast, or Dried or Granulated Yeast! If using Surebake, it has bread improvers in already.I think it also has gluten added - will check on my jar tomorrow - a sleepover is happening in our lounge so I won't check on the Surebake jar that's in the kitchen fridge now, or I won't be popular!. Surebake is a faster acting yeast than dried granulated yeast. using Surebake, you can cover and leave the dough to prove for just 15 minutes after kneading, then shape as you want, cover and leave to rise till doubled in size. Depending on the warmth of the place you leave it in and the size of the rolls or loaf, this can take from 1/2 an hour to1 & 1/2 hours. I love the combination of seeds, etc. in your loaf, and am looking forward to making it. It sounds similar to our favourite Molenberg Soy and Linseed bread. yum!

oz4uk, Mar 23, 11:04pm
Hi Julie I used dried activated yeast granules! The bread is just so yum, nice and moist. reminds me of vogels! I'm stoked, I now have a loaf of bread that will last me the week (single gal.) for work lunches, and it didn't cost me anywhere near $4.29 to make (the cost of Freya's bread which is my fav. I think I'll make it a habit to bake this bread on my day off!

nzb1, Mar 24, 3:45am
If I put lemon juice into the water when using a bread maker would the lemon juice react with the yeast and hinder the proving process! Hope someone knows. TIA

juliewn, Mar 24, 5:20am
Thanks Gazz . and thanks too Bunny. for your help re the bananas. I didn't see the article Bruce. sure can smell hot cross buns when walking into any supermarket at the moment! It's no accident they place them close to the door, and checkouts. nothing to compare with homemade though.

juliewn, Mar 24, 10:42am
Hi NZb1. I don't think it would. Vitamin C is often added to bread mixes, and to some yeast mixes too, as it helps with rising. I would add the lemon juice to the breadmaker as part of the liquid needed in the recipe. and start the mixing process straight away, so the yeast and lemon juice aren't standing unmixed for any time. Is it for a sweet-type bread that you're adding the lemon juice! If so, I'd also add extra sugar or sweetening (ie. dried fruit, etc) to the mix. Chopped dates would taste good with lemon.

juliewn, Mar 24, 10:48am
Hi Oz. I think I have a bread baking morning coming up. tomorrow! Your bread sounds just delicious. I bet you're feeling proud of yourself. it's so cool to have your own bread to enjoy through the week. good for you. :-)

rayna1, Mar 24, 7:06pm
Bumping for all the Breadmakers Would hate to lose this thread.!

ima007pony, Mar 25, 12:01am
Hi I am a new owner of a breadmaker (Breville) and want to know if I can substitute the milk powder for milk, if so how much do I add. Also I have the tasti breadmaking yeast so instead of adding the bread improver in the manual recipe do I need to increase the amount of yeast! TIA

ima007pony, Mar 25, 12:30am
*bump*. Help!

jaydan1, Mar 25, 1:26am
Any certain requests that you may like! I have a big fat book on handmade breads and bread machines.

ima007pony, Mar 25, 2:41am
Hi Jaydan. Just the basic white please, first time bread maker lol TIA

floralsun, Mar 25, 3:23am
Found it. Bumping to the top.

miffycat1, Mar 25, 5:44am
Hot Cross buns.
Has anyone made successful tasty buns made in a bread maker !
I have a Breville, my lastbuns came out like rocks.
i want to practise to get them right by Easter.
I would love for someone to post a good recipe & any hints to assist.
Thanks.

thanks

ima007pony, Mar 25, 6:51am
*bump* TIA

juliewn, Mar 25, 7:33am
Hi Ima. yes, you can subsitute the milk powder for milk in a recipe - use the milk as part of the quantity of water in the recipe. ie. if the recipe needs 2 cups water, and there are 2 tablespoons of milk powder, I would use 1 & 1/2 cups water, with 1/2 cup milk added. As you're reducing the dry ingredients by taking out the milk powder, add a little extra flour - so the wet ingredient to dry ingredient ratio stays the same. Re using theTasti yeast, you won't need to add any extra yeast - the yeast to flour ratio will remain as per the recipe so you won't need to add any more yeast. Check on the side of your yeast container - it probably already has bread improvers in it. I hope this helps. ask again if needed :-)

juliewn, Mar 25, 7:35am
ps. if you don't have an instruction book for your new breadmaker, check this site out for a manual: http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/manuals/device/bread_maker.html

juliewn, Mar 25, 7:37am
pss. this will take you to the Breville page of the site. http://www.kitchenmanuals.com/manuals/mfg/breville/breville_bread_maker_product_list.html

iamkat, Mar 25, 10:24am
I made pickles bread - vogels! but couldnt helpm myself and I added sunflower, linseeds, seasame seeds and poppyseeds - and by golly miss molly it was downright fabulous!

Thank you!

dibble35, Mar 25, 8:20pm
Where do you guys buy all your diff bread flours from! Just from the supermarket! I had a look the other day and its all so expensive if you want to get into the rye and kibbled wheat type flours. Is Bin Inn any good! are there flours fresh/cheaper! I started off with a 5kg of homebrand High Grade flourand that has worked fine, but ran into an older lady in the supermarket that swore by high grade champion flour - best for bread she reckons. Has anyone else found this to be true!

dibble35, Mar 25, 8:22pm
and have been meaning to ask - keeping yeast in the fridge, surebake brand has wriiten on the label to keep in the fridge where as Tasti brand doesn,t. so do I as have just bought Tasti brand to try next, TIA

naki45, Mar 28, 5:11am
Hi. just bought my first breadmaker, and looking forward to getting started.I have everything except for the gluten flour, how is this different from high grade flour! is there any bread I can make until I next get into town!

juliewn, Mar 28, 7:55am
Bumping for Easter goodies. .

juliewn, Mar 28, 2:04pm
Mmmm sounds delicious! Bumping for Brettnat :-)

tinzaroo, Mar 29, 12:17am
Hi juliewn :o) I have just made your hand made bread recipe . made it into a plaited loaf with olives, spring onions and ham inside, and going to put cheese on top before I bake it. It's doing it's rising thing now, I put it inside my car as it's nice and warm in there, and away from prying toodie tats! I hope it turns out nice - it sure looks nice so far! LOL! Will let you know how I go.