Pork Hock? Ham Hock? Difference?

tipsy_bl0nde, Jul 5, 7:54am
x1
Hi guys car broke down today :( boo. So doing shopping online this week because hubby is useless when it comes to grocery shopping. would like to make pea and ham soup but only have pork hock on their online shopping. 5.99kilo not bad but was wondering if there is actually a major difference between pork and ham hocks?

TIA

jessie981, Jul 5, 7:57am
Same difference I would think. Pork hock maybe smaller. Ham is probably the whole ham bone.

timetable, Jul 5, 7:57am
the pork hock may not have been smoked like the ham hock but will still make lovely pea and ham soup.... hope the car is fixed soon - all the best...

lx4000, Jul 5, 8:00am
pork hock in my books would be just that, pork, not hamed or done as bacon!

tipsy_bl0nde, Jul 5, 8:01am
thanks guys didnt think there would be much difference :) plenty of time tomorrow to do some baking and freezer stacking :) yuss

tipsy_bl0nde, Jul 5, 8:02am
so do you think it would be worth throwing in some bacon or ham maybe ?

245sam, Jul 5, 8:10am
IMO a pork hock is just that - plain pork whilst a ham or bacon hock is cured to a greater or lesser extent, depending on whether it's a ham hock or a bacon hock.
For pea and ham soup I believe that one really needs the flavour of the cured bacon/ham hock.Can I suggest that you check to see if bacon bones are available and maybe use some of those instead of, or as well as the pork hock.:-))

tipsy_bl0nde, Jul 5, 9:06am
wish it was that easy lol. think i might just order my groceries and go for a walk to the closest butchers and try my luck. Thank you