How do cooks bring everything to the table hot?

Page 3 / 4
antoniab, May 10, 9:47am
You said yourself that you asked if her mother served her one thing at a time and in your above post say 'which Im sure she didnt' - sounds condescending to me too, or youre taking the piss, if youre sure she didnt why did you ask that silly question? To make her feel bad?

fisher, May 10, 12:48pm
Hey charlie girl.... you and yours take care .... wonder when the tectonic plates will stop rubbing together and causing all these rumblings... Must be unnerving to say the least...

white_elephant, May 10, 6:44pm
Thankyou for all the helpful advice, I can see jenner4 that I need to be more organised, I will check out the web sites mentioned. It's a funny thing but I have about 50 cook books because I do enjoy looking at the pictures and planning to make 'that' one day. I remember my mother heating the plates, can't think why I've never done that!

kob, May 10, 7:14pm
trial and errorare the best teaching skills, I totally agree with writting down or memorising times of cooking even if you keep a journal.
I still use my ovn draw as sometime I have everything prepared and my other half is late, or his phone rings as he walks to the table so can always withstand a few extra minutes but generally I my potaotes on to boil 20 minutes before the meat is cooked and if microwaving peas/corn or beans I do it 10 minutes before meat is cooked, if doing in a pot I may put on same time as spuds but turn down low once boiling........that was everything should be cooked at the same time.
Cauliflower etc takes about 15 mins to cook, pumpkin/kumera/suede take the same as potatoes as long as pieces are cut the same same as spuds.
Corn on cob takes same timing as potatoes.
Just give it a try and you will be fine.
But always serve on hot plates as the temp in winter time of plates can trn hot food to cold in 2 mins flat, well luke warmish.......For big crowds when the oven is in use, either soak plate in a sink full of hot water and quicly dry before hand or put through a hot rinsh in the dishwasher this is a great way of heating plates and cutlery,my tips anyway.

lythande1, May 10, 7:51pm
Aha. Corn.
Boil a pot of water. When boiling, rush to the garden and pick your cobs. peel and place in pot for 2 minutes.
Serve.

lythande1, May 10, 7:52pm
Well if you hate it, then you have no motivation to bother. You either like it or you don't.

If your timing is off, well that's why ovens have warmer drawers. Don't fret, we don't all have to be chefs.

cookessentials, May 10, 10:17pm
perfectly normal behaviour for this poster, sadly.

kabbo, May 10, 11:39pm
yep me too. works really well and so quick.
2 plates = 30 seconds on high.

kob, May 11, 3:19am
you must have pretty good teeth lol, 2 mins.... I couldnt eat it after that, I always cook mine for at least 12-15 mins

buzzy110, May 11, 3:25am
Gosh. I was merely asking her to think back to when her mother was providing her with food.

She asked this question, "Everything can't finish cooking at the same time can it!" and I merely asked her to remember what her mother used to do to demonstrate that food can certainly all finish cooking at the same time, unless, of course, her mother served them one article of food at a time, which I am sure she didn't do.

Still, if she cannot even be bothered to remember whether her mother served up an entire meal at once or not . ***shrugs***. It is not my fault if she takes exception to my answering her literal question.

She didn't ask how to achieve synchronicity with regards cooking end times btw.

charlieb2, May 11, 3:36am
white_elephant, I find a lot of it is trial and error. and just picking things up as you go along, like if you are doing a roast, you know the meat has to 'rest' for a bit before you carve it, so that gives you time to get other bits sorted.some good tips here.

cookessentials, May 11, 3:51am
No two minute corn for me either...usually 8-10

jessie981, May 11, 3:54am
I have trouble keeping cauliflowerhot. Gets cold quite quickly & I always use heated plates unless i am serving a salad with the meal. If all else fails, I put plate in the microwave & do a quick zap before serving
Sure you're doing ok white_elephant

white_elephant, May 11, 5:00am
Well I may not have learned cooking times from my mother, you obviously didn't learn good manners from yours.

Thankyou everyone else for all the helpful input :)

buzzy110, May 11, 5:06am
I guess you didn't learn logic from your mother either. You asked, "Everything can't finish cooking at the same time can it!" and I answered based on that question, solely. I also asked you to remember back to when you were growing up as a demonstration that food can all finish cooking at the same time. I did this in good faith and did not expect the vindictive and nasty response I got from you.

Good luck with your cooking by the way and I'm sure you will be as good as you wish to be in the not to distant future.

buzzy110, May 11, 6:09am
Your opinion is wrong. I asked her how her mother served their food in order to demonstrate that food can certainly all finish cooking at the same time. I merely asked her to think back to her own experience. Is it wrong to expect that people have learned anything from their own experiences!

If she wanted to know how food all cooked at the same time then she should have asked that question. To a casual reader, like myself, she appeared to be asking if food could all finish cooking at the same time. I answered that question.

If I asked, "surely you cannot make jam from pumpkin!", for instance, I am sure that there would be 10 people on here only to willing to point out to me that I certainly could make jam from pumpkins, without any further input. I'm sure you would be leading the vanguard of responses.

And what if all I really wanted to know was whether I could make jam from pumpkin. I'd be really annoyed ifthat question wasn't answered first.

charlieb2, May 11, 6:24am
buzzy, dont you ever get bored with being the pedant!You knew exactly what the original poster was asking, but you chose to make one of your points instead.

jenner4, May 11, 6:30am

Its only taken me 20 years to learn, not long at all is it . L O L

fisher, May 11, 6:36am
Hey Buzzy. maybe you see I dont come here much anymore as I feel I am Ignored. that's oks, I have lots of other things going on with my early retirement.now can I help a little. I read your first response as other did and thought how rude. then read it again and again and saw it from a different standpoint.and could in essence see what you were saying. HOWEVER.
maybe answer the question directly to what the person is requesting.with a lighter frame of mind . We know YOU know but for some folks they don't so ask. . Just answer the question from the stand point that they dont know.

morticia, May 11, 6:40am
It doesn't take much time to learn how long things take to cook to the desired taste if you take notes. Then all you have to do is pick an end time (dishing up time) and work backwards, putting everything on at the right time and taking into account the processing at the end ( eg making gravy) and being mindful of what will hold heat and shape ( eg roast spuds) and what won't (eg cauli and cabbage) plus what benefits from standing time (eg a roast joint). Using warm, heavy oven proof dishes with tight covers in a preheated ovenhelps to keep things warm while finishing off and do prepare all the dishes and tools ahead of time.

Be a little organised, use a little brain matter and it comes together quite fast if you work at it.

sampa, May 11, 6:51am
Message boards are funny things, full of info, full of angst as well.

The original question that was asked was this."I'm no cook and are impressed when I see people do this (masterchef)
Everything can't finish cooking at the same time can it!"

Answer:If you're on Master Chef, yep, it better all be ready at once - Or Else! LOL.

If, however, you're trying to put together a meal for your own family from your own kitchen I think you have a little bit (a lot) of leeway (really don't think they're sitting there with score cards, hope not at least - if they are boot them out and send them to eat from the local takeaways!).

There are ways and means to keep things warm and we live in an age that affords us the luxury of doing this, most of us have microwaves which enable us to top up on the heat if need be for example or simply keep things in a warmish oven.

Don't fret White Elephant, you're family will survive even if some things turn up on their plates not as hot as you would like.

Now. anyone have the magic answer of how to get everyone to eat at the same time and place!That's the truly million dollar question! ;-)

fisher, May 11, 6:52am
What Mort said.:}

charlieb2, May 11, 7:06am
Hey fisherman. How ya doing!

fisher, May 11, 7:10am
Yeah kicking along girl. Garden, boats and fishing. trips overseas and stuff.
Hows the rocky spot you reside in. not looking good and not looking good for awhile still.Move up north here. sunny warm. great.:}}

charlieb2, May 11, 7:16am
Sounds great fisher. sodoes retirement. just the sort of stuff mr and I would go for, lol.Maybe in a few years!

Yeah, its a bit rocky, but we are all ok and hanging in there for the long haul.Take care to you and K.