'X' recipe for Hot Cross Buns please

Page 1 / 2
puss..in..boots, Feb 15, 8:19am
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone have any luck with the X! My breadmaker book uses andres135 recipe above - anyone know why there is gelatine in the glaze! Any tried and tested X reipes! TIA

nauru, Feb 15, 7:07pm
I always use the flour & water mixture, mix to a thin paste and pipe onto the buns just before they go in the oven to bake. Never had a problem with that

lodgelocum, Feb 15, 7:19pm
Same, flour and water

puss..in..boots, Feb 16, 8:01am
Thanks nauru and lodgelocum, water and flour worked well. I just need to work on my piping! I used the glaze too - it made the buns very sticky, but they did look pretty!

raebee, Apr 7, 5:10am
Bumping this thread for anyone still needing to add crosses to their buns - as found this one while doing a search on here and it worked perfectly.The quantity of water was perfect, but i did soften butter to very very very soft (almost melted) and it rolled nicely into strips.
It made enough for at least 2 more batches though. hmmm so might be making more easter buns over the next few days :)

accroul, Apr 7, 8:33am
All I used today was 1/3 cup of flour mixed with 1/4 cup of water. Piped it on- probably the simplest X mix I've made yet.

olwen, Apr 7, 8:44am
In the olden days when I grew up the cross was cut into the buns

lurtz, Apr 7, 8:53am
Me too. A shallow cross cut into the buns . Otherwise an egg white and icing sugar, or dough cross as others have suggested.

gardie, Apr 7, 6:44pm
1/2 cup flour - add a dash (about a tablespoon) of tasteless oil, about 2 tsp sugar and then enough water to mix to a paste whisking well. Pour it into a plastic bag and snip the corner off to pipe.

The original recipe used butter instead of oiland added a bit of baking powder but I found it 'crumbled' a bit once cooked.The above recipe I adapted and its the best one I've made by far.

lilyfield, Apr 7, 9:28pm
no cross for me- not religious

lizab, Apr 11, 4:52am
I've tried a few different mixtures of flour (plain or s/r), water, butter etc, but the crosses on my hot cross buns are always sort of chewy. When you break the buns apart, quite often the 'X' will pull away from its neighbour. Does anyone have a nice soft recipe that I could use please?

tigerlilly16, Apr 11, 5:02am
twink

lizab, Apr 11, 5:04am
lol - wouldn't it be great to buy a little bottle of 'hot cross bun crosses' !!

lizab, Apr 11, 5:38am
anyone ... please .... my raisin buns have doubled in size now and I'm waiting for a recipe ... never mind, I should have posted earlier. I'll just glaze them in egg wash as per normal and try back tomorrow :)

davidt4, Apr 11, 5:41am
Many people just make a small quantity of plain white icing (icing sugar plus hot water) and pipe or trickle a cross on the buns after they are cooked.You do have to be careful that it doesn't burn if you are toasting them on that side.

timetable, Apr 11, 5:53am
i just use water and flour, enough to make a good paste, pipe on and then bake.......................

kinna54, Apr 11, 6:15am
There are some over in the breadmaker recipes. I noted a nice one that had honey in it which sounded really yummy. I'll see what I can find in those threads.My mum always used to add a touch of almond essence to the paste mix.

kinna54, Apr 11, 6:21am
1 I found but haven't tried it. crosses* Mix made from 80gms flour,80mls water, 3tsps sugar*

kinna54, Apr 11, 6:28am
Another nice one I noticed in a bakers today was iced with a white almond paste, but the baker said he also does one with a lemon essence added.

lizab, Apr 11, 6:37am
thank you all. I found a recipe in one of the destitute gourmet cookbooks that I thought I'd try (half cup flour, half tsp baking powder, 1 tbsp butter and 3 tbsp water) It was so thick, I had to add so much more water, as 3 tbsp was definitely not enough and it was quite hard once baked. Maybe I will try just decorating them after they're cooked as a few of you have suggested - I have no idea why I haven't thought of this before!!
Thanks again :)

juliewn, Apr 11, 12:54pm
Hi.. if you like an almond icing flavour - either bought or home made, chill it and then cut into thin strips about as thick as 3 match-sticks and the width of your buns long.

Bake the buns as per the recipe, until they're just a few minutes from being cooked.
Take the tray from the oven, and quickly place the strips in a cross on top of each bun.
Back into the oven until they're cooked.
The almond icing will give a sticky, caramel-almond flavoured cross which is just delicious..

Or.. once the buns have cooled, melt some chocolate or white chocolate and use it to make crosses on your buns..

gardie, Apr 11, 6:05pm
To stop the cross going hard when baked, add a dollop of softened butter into the doughy mix.

cameo36, Apr 11, 8:09pm
I prefer to glaze mine with the following syrup:
1 T syrup, 1 T honey, 1 T water.

flower-child01, Apr 11, 10:35pm
Just flour and water, make sure your mixture is very soft. The easiest way is my technique where it is 1/2 c flour mixed with 1/3 c cold water approx, quite runny. Make a soft batter from the flour and cold water, Place in a small sealable snack bag, snip a small corner. Pipe crosses.

deus701, Apr 12, 3:56am
This is mine: 100g water, 40g butter, pinch of salt & sugar & 60g flour.

Its cooked the same way as choux paste (boil up the water, butter, salt & sugar 1st, add the flour and cook it out a bit). Then you add milk to thin it down until piping consistency.