Bread maker Hot cross buns?

rog.e, Apr 2, 1:57am
Is it possible to make decent bun dough in a bread maker?
I want to make a kind neighbour some as a gift for Easter and I haven't got a recipe book for my Cascade machine. .
V

daisy86, Apr 2, 2:02am
I'm making some in my breadmaker now so I'll let you know the outcome. It will be a few hours away yet.

I usually make them by hand but I'm feeling lazy today so letting the machine do all the work.

rog.e, Apr 2, 2:03am
Cheers for that daisy86.

nauru, Apr 2, 4:38am
x1
I use the recipe from Alison Holst bread book. Make on dough setting and then shape & bake, they turn out great. Dont have my recipebook with me but maybe someone on here hasa copy and can give you the recipe.

miffycat1, Apr 2, 5:49am
also interested in any breadmaker Hot cross bun recipes. Thanks

boxsters3, Apr 2, 7:26am
Rich Dark Hot Cross Buns (Alison Holsts recipe posted by rayna1)

3/4 cup milk, 1/2 cup Boiling water,

4 tspns Superbake Yeast, 75gms soft butter, 1/4 cup honey 1 1/2 tsp salt,

3 1/2 cups High Grade flour, 1Tbp each of Mixed spice, cinnamon, cocoa powder,

1/4 cup brown sugar, 1 cup mixed fruit.

Measure the milk, boiling water into the bread pan, then the yeast, butter, honey and salt and stir gently. Add the flour, spices, coca powder and brown sugar,

then set the machine to Dough cycle and press start.

Add the fruit after the beep.

When the dough is ready divide evenly into four pieces

then each of these four into 4-5 pieces.

Shape into a round and arrange balls on a tray lined with baking paper or non stick Teflon sheet. Allow 1-2 cms between each ball and cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place until doubled in size Usually 30-60 minutes.

At this point you can add the crosses and brush with a gaze made from milk and castor sugar boiled together. Bake at 200C for 12-15 minutes.

Glaze after coming out of the oven.

boxsters3, Apr 2, 7:28am
Hot Cross Buns

Makes 12

2 teaspoons dried yeast (e. g. Edmonds active yeast granules)
¼ cup caster sugar
1 ½ cups warm milk
4 cups plain flour
2 teaspoons mixed spice
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
50g butter, melted
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 egg
1/3 cup caster sugar, extra
1 ½ cups sultanas
1/3 cup candied peel

crosses
½ cup plain flour
1/3 cup water

glaze
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon gelatine
2 tablespoons water

Place yeast, sugar and milk in a large bowl and set aside for 5 minutes.

The mixture should start to foam.

Add to the mixture the flour, spices, butter, oil, egg, extra sugar and dried fruit.

Mix to combine. Turn dough out to a floured board and knead for 5-10 minutes or until the dough feels smooth and elastic.

Place the dough in an oiled bowl and cover.

Place in a warm spot and leave for 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk.

Turn out dough and lightly knead.

Divide dough into 12 balls and place in a greased 23cm square cake tin.

Cover and sit in a warm place until doubled in size.

Preheat oven to 200 C

Mix together the flour and water for crosses and place in a piping bag or plastic bag with the corner snipped. Pipe crosses on buns.

Place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden and springy to touch. Meanwhile place the sugar, gelatine and water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat for 2 minutes or until gelatine has dissolved. Brush warm buns with glaze.

rog.e, Apr 2, 7:34am
boxsters3 - Thank you so very much.

I will make the second recipe you have given as I'm out of honey and cocoa for the first on.

Tomorrow I make my first ever hot cross byyns.
V

daisy86, Apr 2, 7:41am
OK the buns are done and they are pretty good if I do say so myself!

I have a Panasonic breadmaker and here is their recipe

3 t surebake yeast
450 g white flour
3 T brown sugar
6 T butter
2 T milk powder
1/2 t salt
3 t Allspice
1 T orange rind
1 egg
200 ml water

3/4 sultanas

Make dough according to machine's instructions

Place dough in greased bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and leave to rise for 20 to 30 minutes

Shape in to 10 or 12 buns depending on the size required.

Cover and leave to rise in a warm place 30 to 35 minutes or until doubled in size

Put on crosses

Crosses

1/2 cup flour
2 T oil
water to mix

Mix flour and oil and then add water to make a stiff paste. Pipe onto buns

Bake in a pre-heated oven for 15-25 minutes until golden brown. Brush over glaze.

Glaze

3 T caster sugar
3 T milk

Boil together until syrupy - brush over cooked buns when they are removed from the oven.

Enjoy! !

rog.e, Apr 2, 8:14am
Right on daisy86 - I want to thank you for your efforts in coming back with report and recipe.

I am going to make your one as well and will freeze a few if there are any left to freeze - yum yum.
V

bullock123, Apr 3, 1:14am
A question for daisy86. Are you are only using the bread maker to knead the hot x cross buns approx 30 min? I made a similar recipe the other day but left them in the breadmaker on dough setting for 1hour 30mins, and then shaped and rised them in the oven for 1 hour. They were yuck! Do you think I left them in the breadmaker too long?
TIA.

nicski, Apr 3, 5:32am
Daisy - just made your buns, took 5 hours go to woe, they are delicious. I used a mix of dried apricots, cranberries, and sultanas.
Bullock, I just knead the dough in the maker (30 min) then doubled the dough in the sun, shaped, and raised in the (5pm) sun til about half again. I don't think I'd use the oven to rise them, as they could rise too quickly and go flat.

rog.e, Apr 4, 1:34am
Made them and they are absolutely delicious. I put lemon zest and lemon essence in them. Made the dough to the end of the first rise and then took it oit to form the buns. I am very happy.

They are so light and fluffy.
V
No crosses on them as Good Friday is past now.

Not a good photo but all I can get right now/ Lught is bad here.

http://images. trademe.co.nz/photoserver/12/125805412_full. jp
g

rog.e, Jan 7, 5:06pm
I have enjoyed these buns so much that I am going to make a second lot. I gave my beighbour four as an Easter gift. I froze a few and just now ate a defrosted buttered one.
Absolutely moreish.
Not too sweet, not too datk and not too spicy. The lemon makes a great flavour and aroma contributuion as well.
Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

V