How do cooks bring everything to the table hot?

Page 4 / 4
maynard9, May 11, 7:45am
white_elephant wrote:
Well I may not have learned cooking times from my mother, you obviously didn't learn good manners from yours.

Haha - what a fabulous answer.

fisher, May 11, 8:51am
Anyone eaten young pearl corn cobs husked of course, uncooked straight from the garden...???

antoniab, May 11, 9:47am
You said yourself that you asked if her mother served her one thing at a time and in your above post say 'which Im sure she didnt' - sounds condescending to me too, or youre taking the piss, if youre sure she didnt why did you ask that silly question! To make her feel bad!

fisher, May 11, 12:48pm
Hey charlie girl. you and yours take care . wonder when the tectonic plates will stop rubbing together and causing all these rumblings. Must be unnerving to say the least.

kob, May 11, 7:14pm
trial and errorare the best teaching skills, I totally agree with writting down or memorising times of cooking even if you keep a journal.
I still use my oven draw as sometime I have everything prepared and my other half is late, or his phone rings as he walks to the table so can always withstand a few extra minutes of waiting, but generally I put my potaotes on to boil 20 minutes before the meat is cooked and if microwaving peas/corn or beans I do it 10 minutes before meat is cooked, if doing in a pot I may put on same time as spuds but turn down low once boiling.that way everything should be cooked at the same time, remember to salt cooking water food cant have flavour if its boiling in water alone.
Cauliflower etc takes about 15 mins to cook, pumpkin/kumera/suede takes the same time as potatoes as long as pieces are cut the same same as spuds.
Corn on cob takes same timing as potatoes.
Just give it a try and you will be fine.
But always serve on hot plates as the temp in winter time of plates can trn hot food to cold in 2 mins flat, well luke warmish.For big crowds when the oven is in use, either soak plates in a sink full of hot water and quickly dry before hand or put through a hot rinsh in the dishwasher( as long as your not on tank water) this is a great way of heating plates and cutlery,my tips anyway.

lythande1, May 11, 7:52pm
Well if you hate it, then you have no motivation to bother. You either like it or you don't.

If your timing is off, well that's why ovens have warmer drawers. Don't fret, we don't all have to be chefs.

donnabeth, May 11, 10:06pm
Please consider that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a mother to learn from.
I had to take over the cooking when my mother had a large family and became very sick. Her way of coping was one pot meals. That's what we thought a meal was half a century ago. Potatoes on the bottom, then carrots or swede on top and cabbage on top of all of that; the lot cooked for half an hour. When everyone was in the kitchen the pot was drained, bacon fat(when we had it) or plain yoghurt was added and the lot mashed together then mounded on our plates. That was how we ate together and the food was hot at the same time. Meat rarely featured in the early years.
It wasn't until I was at intermediate school cooking classes that I was taught how others prepared meals and I learned Mum's way wasn't the best way; but needs must.
In case anyone is turning up their noses, I'll admit to cooking this regularly. These days I add onion and kumera to the carrots and potatoes, I lightly cook the cabbage separately before mashing it in with a squeeze of lemon juice and cubed fried bacon pieces and the fat. It's actually quite tasty.

cookessentials, May 11, 10:52pm
Well said donnabeth

jenner4, May 12, 1:38am
YES !!! , started eating it that way as a kid and still do , corn juice running down your chin , my kids and any one else 's kid thats here at the time gets given it to eat at the plant , we eat more raw than cooked and so good for you , if cooked I have to have butter but uncooked its just so creamy

kob, May 12, 3:19am
you must have pretty good teeth lol, 2 mins. I couldnt eat it after that, I always cook mine for at least 12-15 mins

cookessentials, May 12, 3:51am
No two minute corn for me either.usually 8-10

norse_westie, May 12, 5:39am
Corn on the cobb: cook still in the leaves, 4 minutes in the microwave - perfection. We eat it like that without butter even and its divine.

I have never had a problem with timing before but recently moved and my kitchen is 1/3 the size of my (average) last one. I can literally turn around and thats it. Virtually no bench space, and hardly any cupboards. I have to content myself with one thing in the microwave, one or two on the stove and one in the oven. Then I juggle them around to finish - eg mashing spuds. Often this has to be done on the dining table with warnings for the kids to stay out the way for safety. Its a damn nightmare but I am relishing the challenge.

fisher, May 12, 8:51am
Anyone eaten young pearl corn cobs husked of course, uncooked straight from the garden.!

donnabeth, May 12, 10:06pm
Please consider that not everyone is fortunate enough to have a mother to learn from.
I had to take over the cooking when my mother had a large family and became very sick. Her way of coping was one pot meals. That's what we thought a meal was half a century ago. Potatoes on the bottom, then carrots or swede on top and cabbage on top of all of that; the lot cooked for half an hour. When everyone was in the kitchen the pot was drained, bacon fat(when we had it) or plain yoghurt was added and the lot mashed together then mounded on our plates. That was how we ate together and the food was hot at the same time. Meat rarely featured in the early years.
It wasn't until I was at intermediate school cooking classes that I was taught how others prepared meals and I learned Mum's way wasn't the best way; but needs must.
In case anyone is turning up their noses, I'll admit to cooking this regularly. These days I add onion and kumera to the carrots and potatoes, I lightly cook the cabbage separately before mashing it in with a squeeze of lemon juice and cubed fried bacon pieces and the fat. It's actually quite tasty.

jenner4, May 13, 1:38am
YES ! , started eating it that way as a kid and still do , corn juice running down your chin , my kids and any one else 's kid thats here at the time gets given it to eat at the plant , we eat more raw than cooked and so good for you , if cooked I have to have butter but uncooked its just so creamy

bev00, May 11, 12:53pm
recycling - great advice 2nd time around

elliehen, May 11, 10:44pm
Interesting.and it made me think that while some people still expect that every woman should love to cook, they no longer expect that every man should love fixing things.

There's a crossover now and more men are allowed to not enjoy DIY and women are permitted to say they don't like cooking.

shellie72, May 11, 10:49pm
Timing, its all down to timing, and if you get it wrong, have your oven on very very low and put the early thing in there till the rest catches up :)

elliehen, May 11, 11:23pm
There used to be a plug-in tea wagon thing called a 'Hostess' which could be brought near the table to keep dishes hot.It's probably a collectable retro item now.

beaker59, May 11, 11:43pm
and men are allowed to take over the Kitchen :)

as many have done.

elliehen, May 12, 12:44am
And a very good thing too!As the mother of sons, I have been training mine since birth ;)