Hot Cross Bun - Semi Fail

paora-tm, Apr 21, 8:14am
Used a NZ Woman's Weekly recipe today and made some of the worst buns I have ever made. Bad luck maybe? I did have trouble getting the dough to prove - seemed to take ages. The recipe also had no salt - unusual? Trying a New World Magazine recipe tomorrow unless someone has a nice spongy recipe that keeps fresh for longer than a day.

chinju, Apr 21, 8:41am
A Winner:

HOT CROSS BUNS WITH GLACÉ CITRUS PEEL
(makes 12)

• 310ml warmed milk
• 60g caster sugar
• 16g instant dried yeast (about 4 teaspoons)
• 600g plain flour, sifted
• 1 tsp salt
• 1.5 tsps ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp allspice
• 1 tspn mixed spice

• 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
• 60g butter, softened
• 1.5 cups of raisins / sultanas
• 1/2 cup of currants
• 1/4 of a cup of glace citrus peel

• 2 eggs
To finish

• 60g plain flour
• 60ml water
• 2 Tbl apricot jam, warmed in a pan over low heat and strained
Method

1. In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, milk and yeast together until sugar has dissolved. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes or until it becomes frothy.

2. Mix the flour, salt and ground spices in a large bowl. With your fingers, rub the butter into the flour until mixed and crumbly. Stir in the raisins/sultanas, egg and frothy yeast mixture until combined.

3. On a lightly floured surface, knead the bread dough for about 5 minutes (make that 10) until smooth and elastic. Lightly grease another large, clean bowl, place the dough in and turn to coat the surface with grease. Cover in clingwrap and leave in a warm, draught-free place for 45 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. When ready, remove the clingwrap and use your fist to punch down the doughGive it a quick knead (another 10min) until smooth and divide into 12.
5. Place the buns into a greased 20 x 30cm baking tray, cover with clingwrap and leave in warm place to rise for 15 minutes. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
6. Whisk together the plain flour and water to a smooth paste. Pipe crosses on top of the buns and bake at 200°C for 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to 180°C bake for a further 15 minutes. Buns are ready when it sounds hollow when you tap the tops.
7. Brush with warmed apricot jam while the buns are still warm. Or sugar syrup if no jam.

Better than that rubbish they sell in the shops.

chinju, Apr 21, 8:45am
Oops! Forgot, Second rising may take 30 mins not 15 as stated. Visual inspection will show how far to leave it.

ksr, Apr 21, 9:01am
I use the recipe from Destitute Gourmet's blog in March 2010.Last year was my first time and really successful - made them twice.Good luck.

paora-tm, Apr 21, 9:22am
I'll take your word for this and try this recipe instead. Cheers. :)

lythande1, Apr 21, 7:23pm
You don't NEED salt. Salt is personal taste. And you never ever add salt to the yeast which kills it. Mix it into your flour thoroughly before adding it.

lilyfield, Apr 21, 8:19pm
Salt strengthens gluten, and adds flavor. Salt enhances flavors. In yeast breads, salt helps moderate the effect of the yeast so the bread doesn't rise too quickl

paora-tm, Apr 21, 8:19pm
Salt is a major component in bread, and performs several important functions. We will discuss these functions in detail, as well as some other attributes, with the goal of providing the baker with a thorough understanding of the characteristics and correct use of salt in bread baking.

http://bekahkates.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/bread-baking-101/

ksr, Apr 22, 9:01am
I use the recipe from Destitute Gourmet's blog in March 2010.Last year was my first time and really successful - made them twice.Good luck.

lythande1, Apr 22, 7:23pm
You don't NEED salt. Salt is personal taste. And you never ever add salt to the yeast which kills it. Mix it into your flour thoroughly before adding it.

lilyfield, Apr 22, 8:19pm
Salt strengthens gluten, and adds flavor. Salt enhances flavors. In yeast breads, salt helps moderate the effect of the yeast so the bread doesn't rise too quickl

paora-tm, Apr 23, 2:25am
A winner for sure. :)

As Pop Larkin would say, "Perfeck"

Thanks Chinju.