Help with Green Tomato relish too hot

rai5, Apr 21, 10:58pm
I'm making some green tomato relish and I've just tasted it. Its a little too hot from the cayenne pepper, and the root ginger is a little strong. Any ideas as to what I can add to down play these two flavours?

jessie981, Apr 21, 11:08pm
Sugar?

rai5, Apr 21, 11:10pm
Thanks but I think it will make it too sweet. The recipe doesn't have any apples and I have one so am wondering if I add that will it help. Might as well try, but any other suggestions appreciated.

pickles7, Apr 21, 11:36pm
Yep add the apples, I would microwave them skin on and scoop out the pulp then add, being careful not to go over, the balance.
Sugar often has the opposite effect, and can increase the heat.
If you find the heat is still intense, use it to flavour soups and stir fry meals, etc .

rai5, Apr 21, 11:38pm
Yes I certainly could use it as flavour in casseroles, soups and stirfries. Good idea. Went to get the apple and I've used it. I wondered about trying some lemonor orange juice?

davidt4, Apr 21, 11:39pm
Chutneys and relishes will mellow after a few months' storage, so don't worry if it is a little harsh.Just store it and you will be amazed at the improvement even after a month.

margyr, Apr 21, 11:43pm
especially if you tasted while still hot, all the spices seem hotter.

rai5, Apr 21, 11:53pm
Thanks for that. It does seems to have toned down as the cooking progresses. My husband says yummy, but he hasn't tasted it. Last two comments give me more hope.

rai5, Apr 22, 10:58pm
I'm making some green tomato relish and I've just tasted it. Its a little too hot from the cayenne pepper, and the root ginger is a little strong. Any ideas as to what I can add to down play these two flavours!

jessie981, Apr 22, 11:08pm
Sugar!

rai5, Apr 22, 11:10pm
Thanks but I think it will make it too sweet. The recipe doesn't have any apples and I have one so am wondering if I add that will it help. Might as well try, but any other suggestions appreciated.

rai5, Apr 22, 11:38pm
Yes I certainly could use it as flavour in casseroles, soups and stirfries. Good idea. Went to get the apple and I've used it. I wondered about trying some lemonor orange juice!

davidt4, Apr 22, 11:39pm
Chutneys and relishes will mellow after a few months' storage, so don't worry if it is a little harsh.Just store it and you will be amazed at the improvement even after a month.

rai5, Apr 22, 11:53pm
Thanks for that. It does seems to have toned down as the cooking progresses. My husband says yummy, but he hasn't tasted it. Last two comments give me more hope.

raebea, Apr 23, 9:29am
I would probably add a handful of flaked instant potato , it would stir into it alright & would absorb some of the flavour, best of luck