Green tomato Chutney

southerngurl, Feb 27, 7:42am
this might be a really dumb question, but what green tomatos do they use in chutneys, is it a type of green tomato, or is it a red tomato thats not ripe yet!

korbo, Feb 27, 8:45am
as far as I know, and I did make green tomato relish last year, i just picked the green ones at the pick your own place.
I do believe there is a strain of just green tomatoes, that do not ripen. not sure if you can get them in NZ

davidt4, Feb 27, 8:55am
Yes, there are various green tomato cultivars available.We grew Aunt Ruby's German Green a couple of years ago and we weren't terribly impressed - we got big tomatoes, very soft and watery without a lot of flavour.

malcovy, Feb 27, 8:57am
A Doctor gave me a great green tomato chutney and he just used unripe tomatoes.I will be making it on Friday as I damaged a branch laden with unripe tomatoes :-)

lurtz, Feb 27, 9:23pm
I bought Green tomato plants last year- Aunt Ruby's German Green Tomatoes - and had absolutely no luck with them. Lots of growth, and very few flowers; none of which set to fruit. My other red tomatoes were fine.

I'm not sure what went wrong, however it was disappointing becauseI wanted to try proper fried green tomatoes.I believe that this tomato is what the original recipe for fried green tomatoes was based upon. Although they grow green, or yellowish green, I'm fairly sure they are ripe when mature.

I use just unripe green tomatoes for chutney. Love it!

lemming2, Feb 28, 10:10am
I've always just made it at the end of the season with anything that hasn't ripened yet. Works a treat, and I'm sure that's what our grannies would have doen. Waste not, want not etc. Andthat's the point, surely!

southerngurl, Mar 1, 7:23am
awesome, thanks for the help. have heaps of green tomatos that havent ripened. might pick em and make chutney