Green Tomato Jam

terachaos, Feb 13, 6:31pm
Sadly our tomato plants have blight:( but reading about it on line apparently the tomatoes can still be used before they ripen. I have found a recipe for green tomato jam but the recipe calls for *jam* sugar.I have no idea what that is. Please could someone enlighten me!
TIA

pickles7, Feb 13, 7:52pm
Green tomato and pineapple pickle

2 kg of green tomatoes, cored and chopped smallish
750 grams of chopped onions
2 seeded chili chopped [ not very hot ]
1 green capsicum chopped
layered in a stainless steel bowl with a sprinkle of salt over each layer, [4 layers] leave three hours and strain
Put the veg into a preserving pan with
3 cups of cider vinegar
500 grams of brown sugar
2 tsp mustard seeds
3 tsp celery seeds
1 & 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 & 1/2 tsp turmeric
bring it to a boil and then simmer until the veges are cooked.
Add a 425 gram can of crushed pineapple, with the juice
Thicken with 3 Tbsp of cornflour
1/2 cup of cider vinegar.
Bottle while hot , cover when it is cold

We don't eat jam any more, but there is a recipe for a mock raspberry jam using green tomatoes, You could google for one.

jessie981, Feb 13, 8:06pm
Aunt Daisy's Mock Tomato
4lb tomatoes
3lb sugar
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 bottle raspberry essence
Skin tomatoes & cut up fairly fine, add sugar & lemon juice. Boil gently 2 hrs. Stir in essence. Do not boil after essence is added.

Green Tomato Jam
3lb tomatoes
3lb sugar
3 lemons
Slice tomatoes, mince lemons coarsely, be careful to catch all juice.
Put into a buttered pot with enough water to prevent sticking.
Boil 10 mins. Stir in warmed sugar, stirring till dissolved, then boil till jam will set when tested.

terachaos, Feb 13, 8:39pm
So, use just 'normal' jam then!

cgvl, Feb 13, 8:47pm
Green tomato and Ginger Jam.
This is an old family recipe passed down to me by my Grandmother.
3kg Green tomatoes
3kg sugar
6 lemons
125g preserved ginger

Into a preserving pan:
Slice 3 of the lemons, chop tomatoes and juice the other 3 lemons. Add the ginger (I tend to chop any big pieces up). leave to stand covered overnight (min 8 hours).
Next day bring to the boil (stir so it doesn't stick). Add sugar and continue at a rolling boil until it is ready to set. Bottle.
Note: it doesn't take long to reach setting stage.

kateley, Feb 13, 8:52pm
you can buy 'jam sugar' at the supermarket, beside the normal sugar.It has pectin added to help the jam set.Different fruits have different levels of pectin in them naturally, so if you're making jam from a low pectin fruit then use the jam sugar, otherwise normal sugar is fine.
Google will tell you if green tomatoes have high or low pectin

pickles7, Feb 13, 8:54pm
The 1/2 bottle raspberry essence.wasn't that the "King" brand. You cannot buy it now. It was not a cordial or the essence used to make icing with.

jessie981, Feb 13, 10:26pm
Just reread recipe, that's a lot of essence, wonder if I wrote the correct amount down. Haven't got a clue re essence as I'd never heard of it.

pickles7, Feb 13, 10:34pm
It is correct, it's just not made any more. It was a vivid red and gave the jam a real raspberry colour and flavour. I can remember my mum making it.
I cannot think of anything that could take its place, off hand.
Green tomato and pineapple pickle is so nice I would expect green tomato and pineapple jam would be too. The colour would be ok .I would put crushed pineapple with green tomato.

harrislucinda, Feb 13, 11:00pm
Jamsugaristhatnewsugarthathasthesettingagentinit==donthavetouseit asforasmallpacketquitedear

harrislucinda, Feb 13, 11:03pm
myrecipesay1/2bottleofthethrifteesugarfreecordialRaspberry

pickles7, Feb 13, 11:09pm
recipe please.

pickles7, Feb 13, 11:12pm
The, Aunt Daisy's Mock Tomato ., recipe would of been using the "King product.
Someone must have crafted, a new recipe using Thriftee.

makespacenow, Feb 14, 12:05am
Green Tomato Chutney !
Think I posted recipe before <<<<

mwood, Feb 14, 12:27am
I found this interesting variation : Tastes and looks like raspberry jam.

GREEN TOMATO JAM
4 c. chopped green tomatoes
4 c. sugar
1 lg. pkg. raspberry Jello
Cook green tomatoes and sugar. When done, add dry Jello. Put in jars and seal. Tastes and looks like raspberry jam.

mwood, Feb 14, 12:31am
Green Tomato Pickle
which makes two small jars – one for you and one for a friend.

500g green tomatoes (bigger ones are easier to chop)
1 onion
1 tsp salt
250ml brown vinegar (apple cider or wine vinegar also OK)
100g brown sugar
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ground allspice
3 cloves (ground in a mortar and pestle)
¼ tsp turmeric
2 tsp mustard (I used a grainy mustard)
Chop up the tomatoes into small pieces and put in a colander. Add finely chopped onion. Sprinkle with 1 tsp salt and mix in. Leave to sit while you prepare the other ingredients.
Pour the vinegar into a saucepan and bring to nearly boiling. Add the green tomatoes and onion (do not rinse the salt off) to the vinegar and then put all the other ingredients in.
Simmer for 30 minutes. There should still be a bit of bite to some of the pieces of green tomato and the flavour should be nice and strong.

harrislucinda, Feb 14, 3:33am
betterletfolksknowthatJelloinnzisjelly

harrislucinda, Feb 14, 4:15am
sorryjammadewithkiwifruitusesraspberrythriftee

tehenga288, Feb 14, 7:35am
Yuk - I used Chelsea jam sugar for some strawberry jam - I thought it was revolting.