How do cooks bring everything to the table hot?

Page 2 / 4
buzzy110, May 10, 5:06am
I guess you didn't learn logic from your mother either. You asked, "Everything can't finish cooking at the same time can it?" and I answered based on that question, solely. I also asked you to remember back to when you were growing up as a demonstration that food can all finish cooking at the same time. I did this in good faith and did not expect the vindictive and nasty response I got from you.

Good luck with your cooking by the way and I'm sure you will be as good as you wish to be in the not to distant future.

white_elephant, May 10, 5:40am
I'm no cook and are impressed when I see people do this (masterchef)
Everything can't finish cooking at the same time can it!

herself, May 10, 5:53am
This was your reply buzzy110.

In my opinion - a rude, condescending and unhelpful reply.That is all.

buzzy110, May 10, 5:59am
Of course everything can finish cooking at the same time. What did your mother do when you were growing up - serve you one thing at a time!

nfh1, May 10, 6:08am
Happens all the time herself - some people are so rude, so often, they no longer realise they are rude.Sad really.

buzzy110, May 10, 6:09am
Your opinion is wrong. I asked her how her mother served their food in order to demonstrate that food can certainly all finish cooking at the same time. I merely asked her to think back to her own experience. Is it wrong to expect that people have learned anything from their own experiences?

If she wanted to know how food all cooked at the same time then she should have asked that question. To a casual reader, like myself, she appeared to be asking if food could all finish cooking at the same time. I answered that question.

If I asked, "surely you cannot make jam from pumpkin?", for instance, I am sure that there would be 10 people on here only to willing to point out to me that I certainly could make jam from pumpkins, without any further input. I'm sure you would be leading the vanguard of responses.

And what if all I really wanted to know was whether I could make jam from pumpkin. I'd be really annoyed ifthat question wasn't answered first.

jenner4, May 10, 6:18am

charlieb2, May 10, 6:24am
buzzy, dont you ever get bored with being the pedant?You knew exactly what the original poster was asking, but you chose to make one of your points instead.

jenner4, May 10, 6:25am
I think that is why white sauce was invented for cauli, but you make the sauce while the cauli is cooking , you can add parsley , cheese, smoked cheese, grilled bacon , bit of white wine in the cooking , fine cut tomato, any thing you like ,onion soup mix is a quick pick up to the white sauce .

jenner4, May 10, 6:30am

Its only taken me 20 years to learn, not long at all is it . L O L

fisher, May 10, 6:36am
Hey Buzzy... maybe you see I dont come here much anymore as I feel I am Ignored... that's oks, I have lots of other things going on with my early retirement..now can I help a little... I read your first response as other did and thought how rude... then read it again and again and saw it from a different standpoint...and could in essence see what you were saying... HOWEVER..
maybe answer the question directly to what the person is requesting..with a lighter frame of mind ... We know YOU know but for some folks they don't so ask... . Just answer the question from the stand point that they dont know....

morticia, May 10, 6:40am
It doesn't take much time to learn how long things take to cook to the desired taste if you take notes. Then all you have to do is pick an end time (dishing up time) and work backwards, putting everything on at the right time and taking into account the processing at the end ( eg making gravy) and being mindful of what will hold heat and shape ( eg roast spuds) and what won't (eg cauli and cabbage) plus what benefits from standing time (eg a roast joint). Using warm, heavy oven proof dishes with tight covers in a preheated ovenhelps to keep things warm while finishing off and do prepare all the dishes and tools ahead of time.

Be a little organised, use a little brain matter and it comes together quite fast if you work at it.

sampa, May 10, 6:51am
Message boards are funny things, full of info, full of angst as well.

The original question that was asked was this..."I'm no cook and are impressed when I see people do this (masterchef)
Everything can't finish cooking at the same time can it?"

Answer:If you're on Master Chef, yep, it better all be ready at once - Or Else! LOL.

If, however, you're trying to put together a meal for your own family from your own kitchen I think you have a little bit (a lot) of leeway (really don't think they're sitting there with score cards, hope not at least - if they are boot them out and send them to eat from the local takeaways!).

There are ways and means to keep things warm and we live in an age that affords us the luxury of doing this, most of us have microwaves which enable us to top up on the heat if need be for example or simply keep things in a warmish oven.

Don't fret White Elephant, you're family will survive even if some things turn up on their plates not as hot as you would like.

Now... anyone have the magic answer of how to get everyone to eat at the same time and place?That's the truly million dollar question! ;-)

fisher, May 10, 6:52am
What Mort said....:}

charlieb2, May 10, 7:06am
Hey fisherman... How ya doing?

fisher, May 10, 7:10am
Yeah kicking along girl.... Garden, boats and fishing.... trips overseas and stuff..
Hows the rocky spot you reside in..... not looking good and not looking good for awhile still....Move up north here.... sunny warm.... great....:}}

charlieb2, May 10, 7:16am
Sounds great fisher... sodoes retirement.... just the sort of stuff mr and I would go for, lol.Maybe in a few years!!!

Yeah, its a bit rocky, but we are all ok and hanging in there for the long haul.Take care to you and K.

maynard9, May 10, 7:45am
white_elephant wrote:
Well I may not have learned cooking times from my mother, you obviously didn't learn good manners from yours.

Haha - what a fabulous answer.

white_elephant, May 10, 8:30am
If I knew how it was done I wouldn't have asked about it on here.

white_elephant, May 10, 8:45am
Thankyou uli.
I perhaps I should say that cooking doesn't come natually to me, I hate doing it, when I asked around at work I found I wasn't alone, more than half the women I spoke to reeled off a stack of jobs they'd rather do than cook, including cleaning the toilet.
I cook because I have a family, I love to eat & I can't afford restaurants.

glenleigh, May 10, 8:54am
white elephant why not try one pot cooking.Lots of lovely recipies out there for stir fries, casseroles and other delicious easy to prepare meals.Go to the Healthy Food Guide recipies on line.You can get all sorts of good nutritional meals from this site, very easy to follow recipes and great variety.Good luck and enjoy.

muppet65, May 10, 9:04am
timing .I remember cooking at school and thinking the timing was a complete waste of time .how wrong was I

jenner4, May 10, 9:05am
OK how about giving this a try , next time you cook potatoes time the process, and write the time down , next try doing it with each veg , that way you will soonknow what cooks the fastest and the slowest and will soon see your pattern of timing things , as for meat if you use the "Edmonds Cook Book" for time it will help you out a lot , hot pads for the table if you dish up a casserole are great and warming plates in the warming drawer of your oven, having dishes that go from oven to table are also great to have , in the case of a roast, do the meat in 1 roasting pan and veg in another , when cooked remove veg into a oven dish and place back in oven [turned off ]remove meat ,cover in foil and place in oven , make gravy , put aside to keep warm , cut meat and serve on to the warm plates add veg and greens, take to table, put gravy in sauce boat that has been sitting ready with very hot water in it for last 5mins[ tip water out], place on table , it takes about 6 mins to serve up after meat goes on plate[ for 4 people], sit down and eat , remember while meal is cooking to get every thing ready before the next step [ flour , butter] set the table so your not going back to the kitchen , and yes its practice .

ribzuba, May 10, 9:10am
i work as a chef, you get to the point where it's instinctive, mind you in a kitchen almost everything is precooked anyway and you are just reheating a lot of it.but always the magic rule of meat first.

jenner4, May 10, 9:15am
Oh so true , as a way of getting past the " I hate cooking " look for a new recipe every 2 weeks , there are a few NZ sites that email you every week with a new or updated idea , will come back with the sites , every time I get a new recipe we all like I print it out and put in a seal bag so I can put in my bag on shopping day , doesn't take long to get a lot of recipes that the family like and are simple to do even doing enough for 2 meals , freeze 1 for a day off next week