Insanely Good Oxtail Stew

awoftam, Jul 27, 4:45am
I have been planning to make this for ages and it does not disappoint. Just glorious. I second eating it with pappardelle and a grating of Parmesan as well.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/insanely-good-oxtail-stew/#tYaPRYesGbFjDTHW.97

floralsun, Jul 27, 6:14am
Sounds delicious - thanks.
My Mum-in-law used to add a handful of barley to her recipe - somehow doesn't seem like Oxtail Stew without barley now, a lovely memory of her.

awoftam, Jul 27, 6:40am
Yes, isn't it wonderful how food can bring back so many wonderful memories. the smell of something cooking can transport me back to when I was a child making things with my Nana or my Mama; the memories very vivid - things I still make and things my (step) children now make. Fantastic. I have always believed taking time to cook something for someone is a way to show how much you love them. a gift.

anne1955, Jul 27, 7:20am
Try it with Venison Neck Chops I get mine at Pak-in-slave. Cheaper and so yummy.

awoftam, Jul 27, 7:40am
A good idea - not for me tho. I don't really like venison. Tail does have its own taste as well, gooey and sweet.

dianavan, Jul 27, 8:45am
One of the best things I've
ever eaten

rainrain1, Jul 27, 8:22pm
Leave out the celery though

awoftam, Jul 28, 1:45am
Funnily enough rainrain I have some real celery haters here - I mean people who can smell if from 5 miles away and run screaming from the room if appears on any plate in the form of food lol and they munch through this dish with much gusto. I cut it up finely tho, so they don't see it and they don't pick up on the subtle flavor it lends to the dish either - and I thought they would as I have never been able to disguise it in any other dish for the past 30 years.

mjhdeal, Jul 28, 2:02am
I'm really into adding okra into my casseroles at the moment. O boy, that gelatinous stuff okra exudes (sounds gross, I know), but it makes a casserole so creamy and thick! (still sounding gross).

Anyone else like okra? You all jolly well should ;)

davidt4, Jul 28, 2:06am
We love okra in this household and I use it a lot, especially in Indian and South East Asian dishes. I make a very lovely Korean-style beef casserole with brown miso, kohlrabi and okra.

mjhdeal, Jul 28, 2:12am
Crikey you are creative. I just bang the okra into a standard casserole (although my standard casserole is half beef-heart, which I pride myself on as being pretty marvellous).

I must put kohlrabi on my list of Things To Try. I have seen it regularly at a veg shop, but never looked up what to do with it.

davidt4, Jul 28, 2:55am
Kohlrabi is really useful. We grow it, and in the summer I make it into Thai-style salads or boil it and dress with butter and Parmesan; in the winter I put it into casseroles, especially S E Asian ones, instead of daikon or turnip.

rainrain1, Jul 28, 5:22am
Interesting sounding vegetables here davidt4 and mjhdeal, I'd like to try both of those. both sound jolly good

awoftam, Jul 28, 5:49am
I have looked at okra as a thickener for stews - can't buy it where I live now.

jennis, Feb 7, 5:20pm
Lovely to take a young one from the garden and eat it fresh like an apple.