Best meat for stew

Page 1 / 2
carol113, Feb 12, 8:17pm
Planning on making a stew on the stovecook and slowcooking. Want to know what the best cut of meat to use would be.

sharka1, Feb 12, 8:34pm
Chuck steak well that is what i use and it always works :)

cgvl, Feb 12, 8:53pm
gravy beef, stewing steak, chuck steak or rump steak. I often use rump steak but with slow cooking any of the others are fine.

buzzy110, Feb 12, 9:24pm
Lamb neck chops, oxtail, steak and kidney (sold under that name).

rchelley, Feb 12, 9:31pm
I love using rump steak in casseroles it tastes so much better. I made chelsea winters steak cheese and Guinness pie this week using stewing steak and it wasn't really that nice but made with rump it is delicious.

esther-anne, Feb 12, 9:32pm
I always use cross-cut blade if it's available - sometimes the supermarkets don't have it, Mad Butcher stores usually do. If I can't get cross-cut I get blade anyway. Lends itself beautifully to slow cooking becoming meltingly tender and very tasty. I don't have a slow cooker - in fact I sold the one I had - prefer slow cooking on stovetop and oven.

For casseroles I also use both lamb and pork shoulder chops, beef shin with bone in and today I am using chicken drumsticks with lots of lovely fresh vegetables.

rivercottage1, Feb 13, 12:29am
i love shin fillet, slow long cooking in the crockpot. yummo

carol113, Feb 13, 12:38am
Thanks all for great advise

punkinthefirst, Feb 13, 2:09am
Shin.
Anything tough and full of working muscles will be tasty and gelatinous when cooked long and slowly with aromatic vegetables.

buzzy110, Feb 13, 2:14am
Exactly and if you use meat on the bone then the resulting stew is richer and will 'gel' when it cools.

540trickzter, Feb 13, 3:29am
Ox tail

whitehead., Feb 13, 4:06am
shine or ox tail yummy and dry engish mustard about 2 teaspoons in your stew while cooking along with onions and carrots any veg that you have that needs using add spuds as a last thing because they change in taste if cooked for a long time

whitehead., Feb 13, 4:06am
shin not shine

meg94, Feb 13, 4:29am
shin fillets every time

pugswal, Feb 13, 6:10am
Cross cut blade steak every time. Always tender and tasty.

alston, Feb 13, 6:16am
Worked in a butchers years ago and this was always their recommendation.

awoftam, Feb 13, 8:33am
This. Can be slightly more expensive however it is totally worth it. Delicious.

pussy01, Feb 13, 8:51am
some times the aussie rump is heaps cheaper then any stewing steak in pak n slave

wendalls, Feb 13, 8:57am
I don't know what I do but rump has always turned out dry and horrible for me. I always buy gravy beef now

esther-anne, Feb 13, 9:15am
Glad so many agree with me about cross-cut blade. Try it wendalls, slow cooked is the key to it. I agree with you about rump - I have used it occasionally when on a good special but it just doesn't seem to produce the same melt-in-the-mouth tenderness and rich gravy.

beaker59, Feb 13, 11:02am
Beef cheeks are aweful, don't do those ever.

(we don't want demand for them pushing the price up)

kay141, Feb 13, 7:37pm
+100. They were dearer than shin beef last winter and harder to get.

mjhdeal, Feb 13, 7:39pm
Totally agree. They are revolting. Don't anybody buy them. I'll do my duty and dispose of them all.

hd07, Feb 13, 8:49pm
I have exactly the same problem when I've tried slow cooking rump. I usually buy gravy bones and whatever other stewing steak is on special, usually blade or topside. Ox cheek is delicious, but my local butcher never has it when I go!

kay141, Feb 13, 10:42pm
I'm so pleased you and beaker9 live in a different area to me. That means I will be able to do my share of the disposal.