Best meat for stew

Page 2 / 2
245sam, Feb 14, 1:27am
I agree also re cross-cut blade steak - the best for casseroles and stews IMO, and if it's not available I use blade steak. :-))

sampa, Jul 12, 12:10am
This is an older thread but I was searching for info re stewing steak on this chilly pseudo Spring morning and have decided to drag a packet of shin out that has been languishing in the depths of my freezer. Instead of doing something new though I've decided to revisit a favourite of ours and thought I'd share in case anyone else is looking for a new twist on slow cooking inexpensive cuts. Luckily I found the recipe online so saves me typing it all out from her book.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/asian-braised_shin_of_98140

I've made this a few times but haven't really bothered to follow through on the salad Nigella suggests to have with it - might give it a try today for a bit of a change.

westward1, Jul 12, 12:24am
Cross cut blade, if you can get it. If not, blade steak is wonderful for casseroles, curries etc.

willman, Jul 12, 6:07am
Skirt Steak, is great for stews. I have used it for years, as did my Mother. Can be hard to get. Butchers, chuck it, into sausage's and mince, what a waste!

uli, Jul 12, 10:58pm
bump for gabbysnana

mairangi, Jul 12, 11:08pm
My mum always told me use cross cut blade. So that's what I use.

smallwoods, Jul 13, 2:58am
Well i just dropped the cheeks and the neck meat with vertebrae (what was left on the head) into the crock pot, 2 teaspoons of garlic and ginger paste, some soy sauce, a glass of red wine and left to cook on high for 2 hrs then low for a day.
Has taken us 3 meals(stew first, then goulash, then open top pie) to get rid of it. 9 plates.
Off to pick up the rest of the beast now.

sticky232, Jul 16, 7:11am
Braizing steak or stewing steak I use all given to me of a beast

awoftam, Jul 16, 7:54am
Cross cut blade. Theeeeeeee best. IMO. I would like to use cheeks however very rare to find these in a butcher - I have never seen them, in fact.

propagator, Jul 17, 2:34am
Definitely Blade. Especially for a drip stew.

janbodean, Mar 8, 12:56am
Rump is always dryer because it is not a "stewing" steak as such. I prefer cross cut blade because it is tender and tasty. Love it.