Buttermilk best before 9/3 would you use it?

Page 1 / 3
supercook, Mar 14, 1:37am
It has been opened. would you use it?

lythande1, Mar 14, 1:50am
Best Before and Use By are totally different things. Yes I would.

cookessentials, Mar 14, 3:11am
Yep, sure would.

cgvl, Mar 14, 3:23am
so would I.
its like yoghurt and sour cream, cottage cheese and cream cheese.
If it smells or looks off and or is growing hair then biff it otherwise its fine. have used some of the above a month after their best before/use by date with no ill effects.

supercook, Mar 14, 3:36am
Going to use it tommorrow to make some scones.

harrislucinda, Mar 14, 3:43am
only 5daysoverthedatewillbestillgoodthedateisonly aguideline

uli, Mar 14, 4:00am
I would use it IF it doesn't taste bitter...

supercook, Mar 14, 4:25am
I am not going to taste it, it;'s buttermilk

uli, Mar 14, 5:29am
What are you trying to convey with that sentence? Makes no sense to me.

Why won't you want to ensure that the buttermilk is indeed not spoilt before you mix it with other stuff?

jessie981, Mar 14, 5:33am
Fine to use. What flavour scones? Yum love date or cheese.

nfh1, Mar 14, 5:33am
If it has been opened I would not use it.

duckmoon, Mar 14, 5:42am
I would use my eyes and my nose, and then make a decision.

We often use yoghurt which is passed it best before date...
I figure that yoghurt, cheese etc are one way of preserving milk to use later, so if refridgerated well, I use the date on the box at a guide, along with my nose and eyes

uli, Mar 14, 5:54am
Anything dairy that has been opened and then left in the fridge for a while needs to be checked. Bitter taste means coliform bacteria - and you can only check that by taste testing. Simple.

supercook, Mar 14, 6:38am
Cheese and chive

cookessentials, Mar 14, 6:49am
Sound yummy. The buttermilk will be just fine.
If you have any left you can try these ones of mine which are very yummy. Admittedly, I use a larger cutter,so you get les, but nice and big.

Buttermilk Scones.(Makes 16)
Ingredients:
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
60g butter
2/3 - 3/4 cup buttermilk
Method:
Sift all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl, rub in butter until mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add enough buttermilk to make a fairly soft dough. Turn onto a floured board and knead lightly. Pat or roll dough to about 1cm thickness. Cut into rounds with a 5cm (2 inch) cutter. Place on un-greased baking trays and bake in a preheated very hot oven (230C) for 10 - 12 minutes or until golden. These are lovely ones to do with jam and whipped cream for afternoon tea.

nfh1, Mar 14, 6:52am
Wouldn't you need to know how long it had been open before you could say it will be ok to use?

supercook, Mar 14, 7:00am
Been open for 1 week.

supercook, Mar 14, 7:02am
Thank you so much for recipe I could remove sugar and use to make cheese scones ?

nfh1, Mar 14, 7:02am
I would definitely not use it then.Life is too short to be sick.

cookessentials, Mar 14, 7:04am
dont see why not. the nose knows, if it smells fine, it will be.

nfh1, Mar 14, 7:10am
I am usually the one who says throw it away supercook - the thought of using something which may be off leaves me cold.I would hate to spend time using it and then wondering as I ate it if it was ok.Have had food poisoning once and do not intend to get it again!

julie_, Mar 14, 7:22am
I'd definitely use it.Especially if it's in baking!

kuaka, Mar 14, 7:29am
My gran always said that the best scones were made with sour milk or milk that had gone off and curdled.She lived to a ripe old age only to be killed in a road accident.I would use it as long as it wasn't green and hairy.

supercook, Mar 14, 8:34am
Sounds like it's a yes to using the buttermilk for scones. I'm sure the temperature of the oven hot for scones will kill any bugs.

nfh1, Mar 14, 9:48am
I am sure it will - good luck.