Can I replace milk with buttermilk

veejay13, Jun 20, 5:48am
in a soda bread recipe? And if so would the amounts be the same, or would I have to adjust the quantity Many thanks.

cgvl, Jun 20, 6:28am
yes you can and equal amounts.

veejay13, Jun 20, 6:36am
Okay - thanks very much.

madj, Jun 20, 7:23am
I usually just make my own alternative if I don't have buttermilk. I always thought it was the acidity that was needed when using it in a recipe. You will usually need less baking soda or baking powder if there is buttermilk in it. This is what I usually do: Measure 1 scant cup of milk. Stir in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Let the mixture stand at room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Use this substitute (including curdled bits) as you would buttermilk in your recipe.

veejay13, Jun 20, 9:59pm
Thanks madj - thing is I find I have a surplus of buttermilk and am looking for ways to use it. Hence the original post. Cheers!

madj, Jun 21, 9:47am
oh my lol sorry teach me to try and be helpful when brain too tired to read it properly! I read it the wrong way around! I usually make muffins, scones and cakes. some which I have frozen to be used at a later date. But havent tried to use buttermilk instead of milk in recipes! Am sure it would be ok though.

veejay13, Jun 21, 11:47pm
LOL No harm done, and you've given me a handy hint too.

davidt4, Jun 22, 2:07am
Buttermilk will be perfect in your soda bread - it is the traditional liquid to use (the recipes with milk and lemon are poor cousins designed for those without access to buttermilk). You can also substitute buttermilk for milk in any baking and it will be particularly good in scones and pancakes.

Buttermilk makes a lovely salad dressing too, just add a little wine vinegar or cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper, chopped fresh herbs.

veejay13, May 9, 5:43pm
Thanks davidt4 - I tried buttermilk in scones yesterday. as you say, particularly good. And thanks too for the recipe for salad dressing.