Have packet of buttermilk, to use .....

korbo, May 1, 9:36pm
best before today, am wondering what I could make with it, not scones or muffins tho.
anyone with a good cake recipe.
could i use it instead of milk in a recipe.
thanks

245sam, May 1, 11:05pm
korbo, pancakes are an option using the buttermilk but on the following link you'll find a recipe that IMO looks to be easy to make and a nice moist interesting loaf/cake.....Rhubarb Buttermilk Loaf:
http://www.tararua.net.nz/recipes/Rhubarb-Buttermilk-Loaf?r=152&i=5

Hope that helps.:-))

Edited to add the following that I found by doing a search here on this MB.....

"Can buttermilk be frozen?
I have a recipe that only needs a few tablespoons, and wondered if the remainder can be frozen for scones at a later date?
Quote ambr (220 )1:14 am, Wed 5 Jan #1"
"Yes, it can.
Quote cookessentials (1156 )7:54 am, Wed 5 Jan #3"

wheelz, May 2, 12:27am
Is the packet been opened? I have used Buttermilk, sour cream and yoghurts that are passed the best before with no trouble at all."Best before date--length of time which an item is suitable for sale. it is the recommended time which a product will remain good. This date is more of a guideline and it gives the recommended date by which the product is best consumed by."

"expiration date--indicates that the product is no longer safe to consume after the specified date."

korbo, May 2, 1:27am
no i havent opened it, just thought a cake would be nice. surely i could subsititue a cup of milk in a recipe with the buttermilk. think i have a recipe that uses sour cream in a choc cake. might try that. keep the ideas coming in tho....

245sam, May 2, 1:38am
korbo, I have just found, amongst my huge recipe collection, the following chocolate cake recipe that uses buttermilk - it's from Annabelle White and was shown on the programme “5 O’Clock with Jude Dobson” on TV 1 in 2001.I have not personally tried this recipe.Here's the recipe and the note from Annabelle that accompanied the recipe.....

SUPER EASY CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK CAKE
You will love this cake.It's so easy to make - everything is prepared in the pot and the addition of Tararua Buttermilk gives it a moist, tangy quality that is just superb.Best of all, this cake actually improves with age.Make it Thursday night and serve it Saturday.The ideal cake for people who like to plan in advance, want great flavour and like to be organised.

cocoa for dusting tin
115g (½ cup) butter
125g dark chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1¾ cups buttermilk
3 eggs, at room temperature
1¾ cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp each ofbaking powderandsalt

Grease a 22cm tin and dust it with cocoa.
Heat the butter and chocolate in saucepan.When melted, add sugar and vanilla.Whisk in the buttermilk and eggs.Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.Pour batter into the tin.
Bake at 180ºCfor40 minutes on normal bake or until a skewer comes out clean.Turn onto a wire rack to cool.Over the cooled cake pour the
Icing:
50g each ofbutteranddark chocolate

Heat the butter and chocolate together in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.

wheelz, May 2, 4:19am
I always substitute buttermilk for milk in all my cakes, makes a nice light moist cake... go for it !

wheelz, May 2, 4:24am
245sam.... have some chocolate just begging to be used... off now to try your recipe.

245sam, May 2, 4:28am
IMO it couldn't be much easier to make wheelz, so hope the cake turns out well for you.Please let us know what you think once you've done the taste test.:-))

korbo, May 2, 9:14am
will try this tomorrow. thanks

245sam, May 2, 11:05pm
korbo, pancakes are an option using the buttermilk but on the following link you'll find a recipe that IMO looks to be easy to make and a nice moist interesting loaf/cake.Rhubarb Buttermilk Loaf:
http://www.tararua.net.nz/recipes/Rhubarb-Buttermilk-Loaf!r=152&i=5

Edited to add the following that I found by doing a search here on this MB.

"Can buttermilk be frozen!
I have a recipe that only needs a few tablespoons, and wondered if the remainder can be frozen for scones at a later date!
Quote ambr (220 )1:14 am, Wed 5 Jan #1"
"Yes, it can.
Quote cookessentials (1156 )7:54 am, Wed 5 Jan #3"

wheelz, May 3, 12:27am
Is the packet been opened! I have used Buttermilk, sour cream and yoghurts that are passed the best before with no trouble at all."Best before date--length of time which an item is suitable for sale. it is the recommended time which a product will remain good. This date is more of a guideline and it gives the recommended date by which the product is best consumed by."

"expiration date--indicates that the product is no longer safe to consume after the specified date."

korbo, May 3, 1:27am
no i havent opened it, just thought a cake would be nice. surely i could subsititue a cup of milk in a recipe with the buttermilk. think i have a recipe that uses sour cream in a choc cake. might try that. keep the ideas coming in tho.

245sam, May 3, 1:38am
korbo, I have just found, amongst my huge recipe collection, the following chocolate cake recipe that uses buttermilk - it's from Annabelle White and was shown on the programme “5 O’Clock with Jude Dobson” on TV 1 in 2001.I have not personally tried this recipe.Here's the recipe and the note from Annabelle that accompanied the recipe.

SUPER EASY CHOCOLATE BUTTERMILK CAKE
You will love this cake.It's so easy to make - everything is prepared in the pot and the addition of Tararua Buttermilk gives it a moist, tangy quality that is just superb.Best of all, this cake actually improves with age.Make it Thursday night and serve it Saturday.The ideal cake for people who like to plan in advance, want great flavour and like to be organised.

cocoa for dusting tin
115g (½ cup) butter
125g dark chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1¾ cups buttermilk
3 eggs, at room temperature
1¾ cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp each ofbaking powderandsalt

Grease a 22cm tin and dust it with cocoa.
Heat the butter and chocolate in saucepan.When melted, add sugar and vanilla.Whisk in the buttermilk and eggs.Add dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.Pour batter into the tin.
Bake at 180ºCfor40 minutes on normal bake or until a skewer comes out clean.Turn onto a wire rack to cool.Over the cooled cake pour the
Icing:
50g each ofbutteranddark chocolate

Heat the butter and chocolate together in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until melted.

wheelz, May 3, 4:19am
I always substitute buttermilk for milk in all my cakes, makes a nice light moist cake. go for it !

wheelz, May 3, 4:24am
245sam. have some chocolate just begging to be used. off now to try your recipe.

245sam, May 3, 4:28am
IMO it couldn't be much easier to make wheelz, so hope the cake turns out well for you.Please let us know what you think once you've done the taste test.:-))