Buttermilk or plain yoghurt

samsnan, Jul 13, 10:24pm
I am trying a new blueberry muffin recipe that uses buttermilk. I dont have any but I do have yoghurt. Will they still be as good using the yoghurt. TIA

samsnan, Jul 13, 10:53pm
bumping anyone

245sam, Jul 13, 11:01pm
samsnan, I have never used buttermilk for muffins but I almost always do use yoghurt rather in preference to (usually) milk. Presuming that it is unsweetened natural yoghurt that you have I suggest that you do use the yoghurt - a sweetened/fruity yoghurt is ok too but it may make the muffins too sweet unless you adjust the sugar quantity accordingly.

Alternatively you might like to use either of these options from:-http://homecooking. about.com/od/substitutions1/Recipe_Substi
tutions.htm

"Buttermilk:
Substitute 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to equal 1 cup for 1 cup of buttermilk. Let stand 5 minutes.
Substitute 1/2 cup plain yogurt plus 1/2 cup milk for 1 cup buttermilk. "

Hope that helps. :-))

wheelz, Oct 25, 11:14am
I have found that by trying to use the substitute, lemon or vinegar in milk, is in no way like using buttermilk ! Buttermilk is quite thick. I buy buttermilk and increase it's volume by adding the whole container to a 2. 5 litre glass bottle, then add normal milk to it. Leave in a warm place 2-3 days = a whole 2. 5 litres ! Very good in all baking, makes a very light product, not matched by any other substitute.