Buttermilk Powder Help Please!!

angelstarr1, Nov 1, 4:26pm
Can anyone help me as to where I can buy this from please? I have looked in the 3 supermarkets in my area and cant find any, the health shop has 500gm bags but it is far too expensive there. I will pay if someone could get me some and send it thru to me. TIA and have a nice day:-)

lilyfield, Nov 1, 8:50pm
can't get it in super markets

angelstarr1, Nov 2, 12:22am
ok thanks, gosh it is expensive stuff then if I have to go to the health shop wow, thanks anyway lilyfield much appreciated :-)

korbo, Nov 2, 12:34am
I bought some buttermilk to use in scones etc, and when i opened it it was quite curdly..is this normal. should it be smooth like cream.
I threw it out, as wasnt sure if it was anygood.

davidt4, Nov 2, 1:10am
x1
What a shame you threw it out.Buttermilk is curdly looking, like a runny cottage cheese.It is not smooth like cream.

angelstarr1, Nov 2, 4:02am
Where did you get yours from korbo? The buttermilk that I found at the health shop was flour like...

rosathemad, Nov 2, 4:12am
angelstarr, you can get buttermilk (i.e. not powder) from supermarkets, with the milk, cream etc.

angelstarr1, Nov 2, 6:52am
Oh thanks for that rosathemad you are a genius :-)

uli, Nov 2, 8:15am
"Buttermilk" is the liquid leftover from making butter (as the name implies) - this liquid is then cultured and the result is "buttermilk".

It is slightly thicker than milk but not as heavy as cream.

You add some Lacto baccillus culture and let it ferment for 12 to 14 hours at low temperature.

korbo, Nov 2, 9:30am
x1
thank you david for the reply. I just wastnt sure, and it was 1 day past its usebydate. to be safe i threw it out.
will know next time....
there seem to be lots of recipes use it now.
who uses it in piklets and scones, or whatever else.

dairymaid, Nov 3, 8:43pm
Bella kai Which is a new place that has opened upin Invercargill sells it if you ring them they would sent it to you I am sure. Theysell a lot of food produce that is Gluten free. Dairy free just ring they will help.

sally174, Jul 11, 6:14pm
I use the Tararua one regularly - for dressings, pancakes, baking etc. If I don't have it I simply add some vinegar to regular milk and let it stand until it thickens. I'm not sure if the ones available to us are especially authentic as in Germany we would buy it and it was smooth and creamy and very low cal by comparison....it almost poured like silky cream.