How to make homemade sushi that isn't bland?!

Page 2 / 4
cathp1, Mar 4, 4:10am
Our favourite filling is not very Japanese as it's actually bacon and scrambled egg. Or bacon and avocado

chynna2, Mar 4, 4:37am
mmmmm, mine too!Mouth starting to water now in anticipation of my next batch! :-)

christin, Mar 4, 8:09am
i know some people dont like it.But what about that tinned chicken that comes in flavours.

Some people hate the idea of chicken in a tin, but to me its no different than fish or anything else in a tin.Good in sushi etc.Wouldnt really eat it on its own but good for standby in the pantry for stuff like this and has flavours or mayo etc with it already?

angela137, Mar 4, 4:16pm
If you are feeling adventurous try using Japanese rice from an Asian grocery store. It definatly tastes different and more flavourful than the Australian rice or thai vairieties that are typically used in NZ. Its more glutenous when cooked and you will get an authentic Japanese taste, it may help with the above suggestions to get your sushi up to sons high sushi loving standards...LOL!!I'm pretty sure they use Japanese rice at the popular Pierre sushi places.Best of luck.

ferita, Mar 4, 4:32pm
mix some vinegar with a little sugar and mix it through the rice

samiamnz, Mar 4, 11:21pm
On the sushi topic, does anyone make it without the nori (dried seaweed) I really don't like that bit but love all the rest. Maybe i could wrap it in egg roll of something else.

ssrgv8, Mar 5, 12:46am
I use canned chicken as my meat and have small sticks of cucumber and carrot as well, perhaps a sprinkle of seasame seeds over the top too.

headin2aussie, Mar 5, 1:01am
A Japanese friend of mine taught me how to make sushi, and she only ever uses ordinary white vinegar, Pam's short grain rice and what ever fillings she wanted.

My teens hate veges too, but they will eat this sushi.
- Tuna (in spring water, drained well) mixed with mayo.
- Thin carrot sticks cooked in a little soya sauce, water, and honey
- Beaten eggs, cooked liked frappes, rolled and sliced lengthways
- Cucumber (deseeded) and cut into lengthwise strips
- Avocado - mashed or sliced if you dont have cucumber
Since they eat the vege that way, I change the meatfor variety.If I use surimi or crab sticks cut in half lengthways, I spread some mayo on the top of it before adding the vege.
My hubby dosent like his sushi cut - he eats it as a roll in one hand and tube of wasabi in the other.As for us girls, we like it cut and dipped in soy - as was said previously, get the proper sushi soy, itmakes it taste soooo much better.

cathp1, Mar 5, 4:10am
Our favourite filling is not very Japanese as it's actually bacon and scrambled egg. Or bacon and avocado

christin, Mar 5, 8:09am
i know some people dont like it.But what about that tinned chicken that comes in flavours.

Some people hate the idea of chicken in a tin, but to me its no different than fish or anything else in a tin.Good in sushi etc.Wouldnt really eat it on its own but good for standby in the pantry for stuff like this and has flavours or mayo etc with it already!

chynna2, Mar 5, 11:25am
Thanks so much for all the different ideas, and advice.I think I know a lot more about sushi making now than I did several days ago!

One son has now said he didn't mind a bit of avocado or carrot in his sushi - soI'm really going to make an effort to do something nice.

ranas459, Mar 5, 12:22pm
You only make sushi with short grain rice.

When the rice has finished cooking, you add 1 tablespoon of sugar, to about 2 tablespoons of rice vinegar and 1 little bit of warm water and mix til the sugar dissolves.. you then add this to your COOKED rice and mix it... once it's cooled down then you spread it over your nori...

Something else no one else has mentioned is seasame seeds (black and white) to add texture...

angela137, Mar 5, 4:16pm
If you are feeling adventurous try using Japanese rice from an Asian grocery store. It definatly tastes different and more flavourful than the Australian rice or thai vairieties that are typically used in NZ. Its more glutenous when cooked and you will get an authentic Japanese taste, it may help with the above suggestions to get your sushi up to sons high sushi loving standards.LOL!I'm pretty sure they use Japanese rice at the popular Pierre sushi places.Best of luck.

chynna2, Mar 6, 11:25am
Thanks so much for all the different ideas, and advice.I think I know a lot more about sushi making now than I did several days ago!

One son has now said he didn't mind a bit of avocado or carrot in his sushi - soI'm really going to make an effort to do something nice.

nauru, Mar 8, 5:43am
Try adding a little Dijonnaise mustard from Masterfoods, (a combination of mild mustard and mayo).I usually put a thin line along the rice before adding the seafood. You could also add a little seafood dressing the same way.

eastie3, Mar 8, 5:49am
I also like salmon and avocado.I mix the soy sauce and wasabi into a little puddle and movethe sushi in it until well coated,pop it into my mouth,cough a bit as I chew,then I repeat until all sushi is eaten.

korbo, Mar 8, 7:03am
I was horrified when my daughter used chicken from a tin in her sushi.
NOW I am a great fan of it. For me the tinned chicken is so handy.

hindsfeet, Mar 8, 8:30am
The sushi powder make sushi making very easy but I was horrified when I realised how much salt was in it. I won't be using it again

julie_, Mar 8, 6:59pm
I put whatever I feel like into sushi.Okay it's not authentic or traditional, but then a lot of the fillings here aren't either.I like baby spinach leaves, brie & smoked salmon, or you could have any other filling your kids would like - don't feel limited by what is in the stores, or what people consider to be authentic fillings.When in Japan I was amused to see 'hamburg steak' everywhere, which is basically a meat pattie!The thing is, it was really nice & a good cheap way to have meat as it is so expensive over there.People adapt food all around the world, so we shouldn't be food snobs if we also do so on an everyday basis.If it tastes good that's the main thing. Mix it up a little & see what you think :)

Btw to the poster who said it needs to be eaten with wasabi & ginger, this is so true, but usually when you buy sushi they never supply enough ginger!

purplegoanna, Mar 8, 9:21pm
chop chop chicken? lol

annie.nz, Mar 8, 11:18pm
Yup.Sushi in Japan always has sugar and mirin at the very least, and quite a bit of sugar at that - just enough to be below the identifiable taste threshold.

And nice sticky medium grain rice.

hindsfeet, Mar 9, 8:30am
The sushi powder make sushi making very easy but I was horrified when I realised how much salt was in it. I won't be using it again

julie_, Mar 9, 6:59pm
I put whatever I feel like into sushi.Okay it's not authentic or traditional, but then a lot of the fillings here aren't either.I like baby spinach leaves, brie & smoked salmon, or you could have any other filling your kids would like - don't feel limited by what is in the stores, or what people consider to be authentic fillings.When in Japan I was amused to see 'hamburg steak' everywhere, which is basically a meat pattie!The thing is, it was really nice & a good cheap way to have meat as it is so expensive over there.People adapt food all around the world, so we shouldn't be food snobs if we also do so on an everyday basis.If it tastes good that's the main thing. Mix it up a little & see what you think :)

Taste wise you could put seasonings in your egg if you make that for extra flavour, or use flavoured tuna - personally I love the red pepper & chilli tuna lite by sealord.You're only limited by your imagination!

Btw to the poster who said it needs to be eaten with wasabi & ginger, this is so true, but usually when you buy sushi they never supply enough ginger!

purplegoanna, Mar 9, 9:21pm
chop chop chicken! lol

purplegoanna, Mar 11, 4:16am
RICE VINEGAR where on earth is it in countdown? is it by the sushi stuff? i got myself a sushi roller (that should put paid to my lopsided rolls now) but the 3 bottles of liquid by the sushi stuff which i presume were rice wine or vinegar were all in chinese!..even the shelf label gave me no ideas...