How to make homemade sushi that isn't bland?!

Page 1 / 4
chynna2, Mar 2, 8:53pm
My sons like taking sushi for school lunches, but are complaining it is too bland as I only put in surumi in the middle of the rice with nothing else!(I don't add any other flavouring to the rice either, so think this needs adjusting too?)

They aren't into vegies such as avocado, carrot & cucumber in sushi, so I'm interested in knowing how I can make it more tasty for them?MIne never seems to compare to the flavour of the shop-bought sushi!

madrose, Mar 2, 9:00pm
you definatly need the rice vinager to put into the rice as it adds flavour and have you tried cottage cheese and pinapple my boys love that one :)

valentino, Mar 2, 9:49pm
Had a Korean Student here in 2009, she (from the Korean viewpoint) noted that the more stickier the rice - the better the taste, and she used the normal whatever fillings.

Apparently the stickiness brings out the flavours of all including the wrappings.

Cheers.

holly-rocks, Mar 2, 9:54pm
Smoked salmon. Cooked shrimp.Crab.Very fresh raw tuna and salmon. Tofu. Eggs ~ made into an omelet and cut into strips.Toasted sesame seeds.Cucumber.Avocado. spring onions. Mushrooms.Snow peas.Asparagus (lightly steamed)Carrot. soy sauce

chynna2, Mar 2, 10:06pm
Would it be the same if I put in the sushi mix powder?

Thanks for the suggestions so far.Look forward to hearing others too :-)

lissy73, Mar 2, 10:10pm
I add salt, sugar and mirin to my rice. As to the fillings, what about smoked chicken? I usually put in cucumber, capsicum, avocado, carrot, sometimes lettuce and tomato. I like lots of colours in mine... looks pretty :)

buzzy110, Mar 2, 10:44pm
Sushi, ideally should be served with wasabi, soy and pickled ginger as side dishes for dipping and placing on the individual slices. I know that NZers don't seem to have grasped this concept and as a consequence they eat a very tasteless shadow of what Japanese actually enjoy.

If you are very brave you could try doing what I do. If it is to be part of a packed lunch, I 'butter' the wasabi and soy onto the rice before I place on the filling. The merest dab of wasabi will go a long way and if you cannot manage the soy, mix a small amount with the wasabi and do it that way. Then I put a few slices of the pickled ginger on followed by the filling.

The soy also should be proper sushi soy and not that cheap junk we NZers also seem to love.

And I won't mention umeboshi plum paste. That'll really do your head in.

uli, Mar 2, 10:46pm
The rice flavour comes from the vinegar and the flavour of the filling comes from what you use - usually salmon or tuna in mayo have a bit of flavour as would do chicken or cucumber and avocado which is what I mainly use... surimi has no flavour at all.

chynna2, Mar 3, 1:49am
Ah-ha, thanks uli!It is the surimi which is flavourless LOL!I have since looked up how to make sticky rice (from one of the suggestions), and will put in rice vinegar etc from now on.I should be making tasty sushi soon! :-)

madrose, Mar 3, 1:56am
Yes the rice vinager makes the rice sticky :) and yummy :)

purplegoanna, Mar 3, 2:07am
mine has satay chicken, cucumber, cream cheese and pieapple in it.....mmmmmmmmm

rarogal, Mar 3, 2:11am
Some nice Sushi recipes in this weeks Woman's Day!

karenz, Mar 3, 2:37am
Before I bought rice vinegar or the sushi vinegar I just added a little sugar during the cooking process.Smoked chicken and avocado is a nice filling too, not all children like raw salmon but my favourite is raw salmon and avocado.

chynna2, Mar 3, 4:37am
mmmmm, mine too!!!Mouth starting to water now in anticipation of my next batch! :-)

chynna2, Mar 3, 8:53pm
My sons like taking sushi for school lunches, but are complaining it is too bland as I only put in surumi in the middle of the rice with nothing else!(I don't add any other flavouring to the rice either, so think this needs adjusting too!)

They aren't into vegies such as avocado, carrot & cucumber in sushi, so I'm interested in knowing how I can make it more tasty for them!MIne never seems to compare to the flavour of the shop-bought sushi!

chynna2, Mar 3, 10:06pm
Would it be the same if I put in the sushi mix powder!

Thanks for the suggestions so far.Look forward to hearing others too :-)

lissy73, Mar 3, 10:10pm
I add salt, sugar and mirin to my rice. As to the fillings, what about smoked chicken! I usually put in cucumber, capsicum, avocado, carrot, sometimes lettuce and tomato. I like lots of colours in mine. looks pretty :)

buzzy110, Mar 3, 10:44pm
Sushi, ideally should be served with wasabi, soy and pickled ginger as side dishes for dipping and placing on the individual slices. I know that NZers don't seem to have grasped this concept and as a consequence they eat a very tasteless shadow of what Japanese actually enjoy.

If you are very brave you could try doing what I do. If it is to be part of a packed lunch, I 'butter' the wasabi and soy onto the rice before I place on the filling. The merest dab of wasabi will go a long way and if you cannot manage the soy, mix a small amount with the wasabi and do it that way. Then I put a few slices of the pickled ginger on followed by the filling.

The soy also should be proper sushi soy and not that cheap junk we NZers also seem to love.

And I won't mention umeboshi plum paste. That'll really do your head in.

uli, Mar 3, 10:46pm
The rice flavour comes from the vinegar and the flavour of the filling comes from what you use - usually salmon or tuna in mayo have a bit of flavour as would do chicken or cucumber and avocado which is what I mainly use. surimi has no flavour at all.

samiamnz, Mar 3, 11:21pm
On the sushi topic, does anyone make it without the nori (dried seaweed) I really don't like that bit but love all the rest. Maybe i could wrap it in egg roll of something else.

karenz, Mar 3, 11:39pm
I thought California rolls did not have the nori but after googling it turns out they are like inside out sushi with the, if you find it hard biting into the Nori this could be the answer.
http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiroll/r/californiaroll.htm

buzzy110, Mar 3, 11:47pm
There are plenty of varieties of sushi that are not made with seaweed. You mould your rice into the shape you desire using either your hands or a purpose built mould. You can put the filling into the middle as you form the shape or put it artistically on the top.

You can buy all sorts of moulds for this purpose.

purplegoanna, Mar 4, 2:07am
mine has satay chicken, cucumber, cream cheese and pieapple in it.mmmmmmmmm

rarogal, Mar 4, 2:11am
Some nice Sushi recipes in this weeks Woman's Day!

dorothy_vdh, Mar 4, 4:02am
I make sushi at work,we sell heaps of it.
Maybe if you use chicken you could try marinading it in teriyaki sauce and then add some to the sushi before rolling it.
with salmon I use Japanese mayonaise,which has a lovely flavour