WW supermarket advise to keep flour in freezer

Page 3 / 4
elliehen, Feb 12, 8:48am
No 'jeering'...nothing but 'thank-you buzzy' ;)

elliehen, Feb 12, 8:48am
No 'jeering'.nothing but 'thank-you buzzy' ;)

cloudberry, Feb 12, 9:41am
I have always kept my flour in the freezer, in the paper bag I bought it in. No need for an airtight container if you freeze it. I never used much so it was the most practical thing to do. You can use it straight from the freezer, no problems. These days I am grain free, I don't use flour at all, so no storage problems.

cloudberry, Feb 12, 9:41am
I have always kept my flour in the freezer, in the paper bag I bought it in. No need for an airtight container if you freeze it. I never used much so it was the most practical thing to do. You can use it straight from the freezer, no problems. These days I am grain free, I don't use flour at all, so no storage problems.

nfh1, Feb 12, 9:48am
I have never had weevils in my flour or in my pantry - where do they come from?

nfh1, Feb 12, 9:48am
I have never had weevils in my flour or in my pantry - where do they come from!

timetable, Feb 12, 10:10am
i keep my flour stored in banana box's in the cool of our garage and in the back of one of my kitchen cupboards....... in all the years that i have stored flour this way i have never had wevils even when we lived in upper hutt..... i store up too 12 5kg bags at a time and do have a turn over rate over a number of months - prob all used within a 8 - 12 month period.our frezzers are always stocked with meat, veg, bread, fish etc etc so no room to store the amount of flour that i would need for our families use over an extended period of time.before prices started to increase of late we stocked up on both flour and sugar - within a few days of the floods hitting and the reports coming out about increased prices and shortages being forseen in the coming months... i am currently using sugar and flour that we had stocked up on in sept and it is aok.... i bake my own bread, do home baking etc

timetable, Feb 12, 10:10am
i keep my flour stored in banana box's in the cool of our garage and in the back of one of my kitchen cupboards. in all the years that i have stored flour this way i have never had wevils even when we lived in upper hutt. i store up too 12 5kg bags at a time and do have a turn over rate over a number of months - prob all used within a 8 - 12 month period.our frezzers are always stocked with meat, veg, bread, fish etc etc so no room to store the amount of flour that i would need for our families use over an extended period of time.before prices started to increase of late we stocked up on both flour and sugar - within a few days of the floods hitting and the reports coming out about increased prices and shortages being forseen in the coming months. i am currently using sugar and flour that we had stocked up on in sept and it is aok. i bake my own bread, do home baking etc

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 8:42pm
Normally a contaminated batch of flour!

But someone I know had then appear in a box of Custard, bird keepers have them come in, in their seed (must check carefully) and sometimes you inherit them when you move into a house eww.

nfh1, Feb 12, 8:48pm
Really?How yucky.

So are the supermarket saying they think their flour may be contaminated so freeze and kill the contamination? That does not seem very good at all, you would think they would remove the products - I don't want bugs - dead or alive - in my flour!

nfh1, Feb 12, 8:48pm
Really!How yucky.

So are the supermarket saying they think their flour may be contaminated so freeze and kill the contamination! That does not seem very good at all, you would think they would remove the products - I don't want bugs - dead or alive - in my flour!

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 8:54pm
Yes freeze to kill any eggs before they hatch etc.

Almost all flour products on the market are contaminated with bugs, it takes the right conditions to let them hatch. As I said up there somewhere, anyone who eats flour is eating hitch hikers and has been for years.... whats that old saying

What you don't know wont kill you right?

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 8:54pm
Yes freeze to kill any eggs before they hatch etc.

Almost all flour products on the market are contaminated with bugs, it takes the right conditions to let them hatch. As I said up there somewhere, anyone who eats flour is eating hitch hikers and has been for years. whats that old saying

What you don't know wont kill you right!

nfh1, Feb 12, 8:59pm
LOL - yes I suppose you are right, more protein I guess.

beaker59, Feb 12, 9:39pm
Most common is the Indian corn Moth and it just flies in and lays its eggs. Or comes in as eggs in anything from crackers to flour any cerial based product in fact.

I had never heard of them until 3 yrs ago they just turned up they infest the cupboards in all those products that you don't use in the back of the cupboard first sign is like spiderwebs in the packets. then an occasional larvae that look like Maggots white with a black head they lurk anywhere in cupboard then all of a sudden they all emerge one night and crawl to the cieling and start weaving caccoons along the edges or in nooks and crannys all over the kitchen. We got rid of them at that point by completely emptying the kitchen of everything then scrubbing it clean and spraying with a surface pesticide then cleaning the cupboards again then as we brought things back into the kitchen evrything went into the dishwasher that we could and any food was checked for bugs if unsealed it was biffed and if sealed the edges etc were cheched all cardboard was biffed as they were living in the corrogations very little food was kept in the end anyway.

They aren't a health risk really and are fairly benign but they are an incredible nuisance and there is a certain yuck factor I haven't had any issues since though they do turn up from time to time Basically now packets are used when opened and then either the rest thrown out or stored in an airtight jar worst thing for getting them now is cornflour.

If you live in a warmer part of NZ and you bake or cook from scratch rather than only from cans and packets then you have them wether you know it or not.

beaker59, Feb 12, 9:39pm
Most common is the Indian meal Moth and it just flies in and lays its eggs. Or comes in as eggs in anything from crackers to flour any cerial based product in fact.

I had never heard of them until 3 yrs ago they just turned up, they infest the cupboards in all those products that you don't use in the back of the cupboard. First sign is like spiderwebs in the packets. Then an occasional larvae that look like Maggots white with a black head they lurk anywhere in cupboard then all of a sudden they all emerge one night and crawl to the cieling and start weaving caccoons along the edges or in nooks and crannys all over the kitchen. We got rid of them at that point by completely emptying the kitchen of everything, then scrubbing it clean and spraying with a surface pesticide then cleaning the cupboards again. Then as we brought things back into the kitchen everything went into the dishwasher that we could and any food was checked for bugs if unsealed it was biffed and if sealed the edges etc were cheched all cardboard was biffed as they were living in the corrogations very little food was kept in the end anyway.

They aren't a health risk really and are fairly benign but they are an incredible nuisance and there is a certain yuck factor I haven't had any issues since though they do turn up from time to time Basically now packets are used when opened and then either the rest thrown out or stored in an airtight jar worst thing for getting them now is cornflour.

If you live in a warmer part of NZ and you bake or cook from scratch rather than only from cans and packets then you have them wether you know it or not.

buzzy110, Feb 12, 9:40pm
I have been freezing mine since I started making my own sourdough bread and it freezes just fine. It is exactly like unfrozen, only really really cold. It hasn't got any water or liquid in it so it doesn't clump, or anything like that.

buzzy110, Feb 12, 9:40pm
I have been freezing mine since I started making my own sourdough bread and it freezes just fine. It is exactly like unfrozen, only really really cold. It hasn't got any water or liquid in it so it doesn't clump, or anything like that.

nfh1, Feb 12, 10:55pm
Cheers - I cook from scratch every night (unless eating out!) and actually live in Hawke's Bay, but have never seen them.I do, however, have all opened packages in containers, so that may be why I have escaped them.

I suppose they must be really difficult to get rid off - so many places to hide in the pantry cupboard.

nfh1, Feb 12, 10:55pm
Cheers - I cook from scratch every night (unless eating out!) and actually live in Hawke's Bay, but have never seen them.I do, however, have all opened packages in containers, so that may be why I have escaped them.

I suppose they must be really difficult to get rid off - so many places to hide in the pantry cupboard.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 10:57pm
I'm actually wondering now if any of you (who have had weevils before) can smell them like I can!

As in. if I smell flour or any other product I can normally tell if its "infested" the weevils them selves have a particular odor to them.

Or do I just have super sensitive nose buds lol

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 10:57pm
I'm actually wondering now if any of you (who have had weevils before) can smell them like I can?

As in.. if I smell flour or any other product I can normally tell if its "infested" the weevils them selves have a particular odor to them.

Or do I just have super sensitive nose buds lol

buzzy110, Feb 12, 11:31pm
You lucky thing. I used to have a sense of smell like yours. Whilst pregnant my senses became even more acute I could walk down the road and tell you what everyone was cooking for dinner and mostly it used to make me heave. Second pregnancy went on like that for the entire 9 months. At the end of that time, my sense of smell all but vanished. I now have to rely on others. Strong smells are still mine and if I am in a smell for long enough (30secs or more) I can pick it up but sadly, not to the same extent as prior.

I can still open my lounge doors at night though and revel in the beautiful Queen of the Night perfume that wafts on the air once the sun goes down , so thank heaven for small mercies.

beaker59, Feb 12, 11:40pm
It will be the containers though we never had them until 3 years ago must have come in with a purchase of some sort. I am not a particularly tidy person or careful in my kitchen and am not 100% careful with containers so may be why I got them. Not that my kitchen is not clean if you know what I mean.

I couldn't smell them though I am a bloky fisherman hunter and ex smoker so not well known for being sensitive of the nose.

By the way I should add they are quite edible at all stages and if you eat out you will have eaten one or its eggs at some stage in your life :)

Indian Meal Mothgoogle it for photos the moths will be around your house somewhere.

beaker59, Feb 12, 11:40pm
It will be the containers though we never had them until 3 years ago must have come in with a purchase of some sort. I am not a particularly tidy person or careful in my kitchen and am not 100% careful with containers so may be why I got them. Not that my kitchen is not clean if you know what I mean.

I couldn't smell them though I am a bloky fisherman hunter and ex smoker so not well known for being sensitive of the nose.

By the way I should add they are quite edible at all stages and if you eat out you will have eaten one or its eggs at some stage in your life :)

Indian Meal Mothgoogle it for photos the moths will be around your house somewhere.