WW supermarket advise to keep flour in freezer

Page 1 / 4
uli, Feb 10, 6:11am
I have a flour mill and make my own flour - the grains sit in a plastic container and are gassed with CO2 upon filling. So there are no livestock attached.

But once milled and if not used immediately I will keep the flour in the freezer - not because of animal infestations but because the flour would go rancid in a few days. Your white flour won't do that of course.

gerry64, Feb 10, 10:42am
how weird this old thread being dragged up from a year ago

beaker59, Feb 10, 8:48pm
An interesting point, we had a few cockroaches come into the house last Autumn so I got some of those cockroach traps to make sure we got them all haven't caught any cockroachs but heaps of indian meal moths as in dozens and dozens. all in my cupboards which is interesting as haven't found any larvae in the food for a couple of years.

whitehead., Feb 10, 9:21pm
if you are a shop selling food you are allowed 1point some thing parts of rat and mousepoo in x amount of flour . a baker friend has it up on his wall at work . but keeps his flour in deep freezes to keep away the mice

whitehead., Feb 10, 9:23pm
i did at some stage but the deep freeze was down stairs and the kitchen was up stairs and i soon gave up on that one . ive never had moths yet

whitehead., Feb 10, 9:24pm
bug bomb your roof space and you will get rid of cock roaches

arabelle, Feb 10, 10:44pm
To answer the question about those big flour tipping drawers that used to be norm, and why flour never had weevils, was that the lining was a sheet of lead. killed the weevils [and knocked off your brain cells] . to go with the lead guttering to catch the water. etc etc and werent hot water tanks lined with either lead or copper! and of course the paint !

lythande1, Feb 10, 11:14pm
No big deal. I keep mine in a sealed container, little things still get in on occasion - or maybe they're there and hatch! No matter, I sieve it if particularly infested. If not, I doubt anyone ever notices.

connor2003, Feb 11, 2:08am
I used to keep my flour in the freezer and it would for some reason come out lighter.

gerry64, Feb 12, 1:22am
there is a notice on the flour shelves in our supermarket in OZ to keep flour in freezer and only take out what is needed - no explanation as to why- have never heard of this before -any ideas anybody please -asked at the checkout if they had any info but no help there either

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 1:26am
it will be due to weevils and other bugs that live in the flour. with this heat they 'bloom' into life. freezing the product kills them. but you still get to eat the dead eggs and bug. yum

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 1:26am
it will be due to weevils and other bugs that live in the flour... with this heat they 'bloom' into life.. freezing the product kills them.. but you still get to eat the dead eggs and bug.. yum

nfh1, Feb 12, 1:30am
So are they saying they are selling it with bugs in!

nfh1, Feb 12, 1:30am
So are they saying they are selling it with bugs in?

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 1:32am
Pretty much all wheat flour will contain bugs or eggs. under extreme conditions is when they become a problem.

Hence the freeze it before you use it.

Now you know why you got no explanation #1 lol, had they have told you the real reason I doubt you would have bought the flour!

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 1:32am
Pretty much all wheat flour will contain bugs or eggs... under extreme conditions is when they become a problem.

Hence the freeze it before you use it.

Now you know why you got no explanation #1 lol, had they have told you the real reason I doubt you would have bought the flour!

dezzie, Feb 12, 1:48am
Maybe with the wheat crops getting drowned etc, they are using flour that could have been dumped before, in order to keep the prices down as long as possible.

dezzie, Feb 12, 1:48am
Maybe with the wheat crops getting drowned etc, they are using flour that could have been dumped before, in order to keep the prices down as long as possible..

gerry64, Feb 12, 1:55am
YUK - have just made a sultana cake without freezing the flour first -it is so humid over here at the moment even though all the supermarkets have airconbugs will thrive that is for sure

lilyfield, Feb 12, 2:07am
surely the eggs have been cooked properly in the oven.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 2:08am
I'm very glad this is a grain free household lol

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 2:08am
I'm very glad this is a grain free household lol

buzzy110, Feb 12, 2:19am
Now isn't that interesting. I was trying to explain that flour is best kept in a freezer but was jeered. Now a supermarket is telling people to do that. So I wasn't that far off the wall after all.

buzzy110, Feb 12, 2:19am
Now isn't that interesting. I was trying to explain that flour is best kept in a freezer but was jeered. Now a supermarket is telling people to do that. So I wasn't that far off the wall after all.

justme..., Feb 12, 2:42am
OK, I have suffered these horrible little weevil/bugs long enough.has anyone kept their flour in the freezer and if so can you please let me know if its still okay to use!Presumably so or I can't imagine them saying to do that.