WW supermarket advise to keep flour in freezer

Page 2 / 4
justme..., Feb 12, 2:42am
OK, I have suffered these horrible little weevil/bugs long enough...has anyone kept their flour in the freezer and if so can you please let me know if its still okay to use??Presumably so or I can't imagine them saying to do that.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 3:45am
Its only milled grain. freezing it wont do anything to it at all. except kill all the hitch hikers you've been happily eating for years lol

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 3:45am
Its only milled grain.. freezing it wont do anything to it at all... except kill all the hitch hikers you've been happily eating for years lol

davidt4, Feb 12, 3:45am
Same here.This is my first summer after giving away all of our grains, legumes, pulses and flours, and the only pantry moth I've seen flew out of a jar of chilli flakes.Normally we'd have pantry moth traps heaving with them and still be giving major quantities of infested stuff to a friend's grateful chooks.

davidt4, Feb 12, 3:45am
Same here.This is my first summer after giving away all of our grains, legumes, pulses and flours, and the only pantry moth I've seen flew out of a jar of chilli flakes.Normally we'd have pantry moth traps heaving with them and still be giving major quantities of infested stuff to a friend's grateful chooks..

gerry64, Feb 12, 4:47am
so has anybody frozen their flour!

gerry64, Feb 12, 4:47am
so has anybody frozen their flour?

davidt4, Feb 12, 5:27am
In the days when we ate grains I used to keep organic wholemeal flour in the freezer, mainly to save it from pantry moths but also to prevent rancidity.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 12, 5:46am
It sounds like a good idea.
As I only use flour once a year for the Christmas pudding, I think I'll put mine in there too. That is if I can sacrifice some of my meat space!
Might be cheaper just to chuck it out and buy a new bag once a year.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 12, 5:46am
It sounds like a good idea.
As I only use flour once a year for the Christmas pudding, I think I'll put mine in there too. That is if I can sacrifice some of my meat space!
Might be cheaper just to chuck it out and buy a new bag once a year.

gerry64, Feb 12, 5:57am
thanks for your comments - think this is going to become a grain free household - wont do us any harm

timetable, Feb 12, 6:01am
i don't believe that people jeered you buzzy... some did question, some disagreed, others myself included choose other options for storing flour that you disagreed with.... we each choose to store our flour as we choose..... what is happening in aussi can hardly be compared to living here in nz ..... there may be very good reason for aussi's to store flour in the frezzer considering current living conditions for many and weather condtions as well...

timetable, Feb 12, 6:01am
i don't believe that people jeered you buzzy. some did question, some disagreed, others myself included choose other options for storing flour that you disagreed with. we each choose to store our flour as we choose. what is happening in aussi can hardly be compared to living here in nz . there may be very good reason for aussi's to store flour in the frezzer considering current living conditions for many and weather condtions as well.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 12, 6:27am
How do you store your flour Timetable?
I remember my mother having great big sliding out bins for flour. Don't recall weavils in that though.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 12, 6:27am
How do you store your flour Timetable!
I remember my mother having great big sliding out bins for flour. Don't recall weavils in that though.

lilyfield, Feb 12, 6:40am
i buy 20 kilos at once, do not use a lot-single household, yet have neve had weevils in it. Just sits in the pantry in a big bucket.

wasgonna, Feb 12, 6:41am
Aren't these all the good things we are meant to eat to stay healthy?

wasgonna, Feb 12, 6:41am
Aren't these all the good things we are meant to eat to stay healthy!

earthangel4, Feb 12, 6:46am
Amen

ant_sonja, Feb 12, 7:02am
I just had to throw out all my dried fruits & nuts due to weevils but the flour is fine...

ant_sonja, Feb 12, 7:02am
I just had to throw out all my dried fruits & nuts due to weevils but the flour is fine.

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 7:11am
Weevils are rife within NZ... so don't think you can't compare out conditions with Australia! ask anyone who owns Birds just how careful they have to be with their seed!

Once a pantry (house) has had weevils they are nigh on impossible to get rid of. (without resorting to heavy duty toxins)

prawn_whiskas, Feb 12, 7:11am
Weevils are rife within NZ. so don't think you can't compare out conditions with Australia! ask anyone who owns Birds just how careful they have to be with their seed!

Once a pantry (house) has had weevils they are nigh on impossible to get rid of. (without resorting to heavy duty toxins)

cookessentials, Feb 12, 7:49am
It has more to do with a longer shelf life.

cookessentials, Feb 12, 7:49am
It has more to do with a longer shelf life.Must be in an airtight container.