Low Carb recipe thread

Page 42 / 43
bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 12:11am
Wonderful cheesecake by Dollface Happy to link to this one. Thanks Shell! What I like about this one is that it doesn't use as but just the natural sweetness of the berries. Also uses mascarpone instead of cream cheese. Link to Dollface's blog - http://tinyurl.com/c8kdw8

davidk63, Apr 22, 5:45am
Bump .again

cloudberry, Apr 24, 1:55am
Cauli the wonder veg I have just tried the leek and cauli combo. Equal quanities of each veg, cooked in as little water as I could get away with. Then blitzed with my stick blender to a pale green lumpy mash. Added s & p, a few slurps of cream, a knob of butter, and vast quantities of grated tasty cheese. Then I scoffed the lot even though it was meant to be part of tonight's tea. Delicimo! Thank you, whoever invented it.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 24, 1:58am
I think Kirinesha adapted one from the wonderful Delia Smith!Caulis are on special this week and I just bought a stunning one! Who would think I'd ever be sooo excited about a cauliflower!

kirinesha, Apr 24, 2:39am
Yep, adapted it from Delia's potato / leek mash .

kirinesha, Apr 24, 10:44pm
Bump. Cheesey crackers at post 176 are wonderful!

cloudberry, Apr 24, 10:53pm
Thanks for the tip off Kirinesha. I scooted back to post 176 to have a look. I will try making these later. What oven temp did you use! Fairly hot! fan on! Do they spread a lot!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 24, 10:58pm
Sweetie Pie Flax Snack Crackers Someone might like to try these. Recipe from Ann Gittleman. 1/2 cup ground flaxseeds; 2t ground cinnamon; 1/2t ground cloves; 1t whey protein pwoder; dash of sweetener (powdered stevia); 1t ground allspice. Method: Oven to 250 degrees (this might be fahrenheit!!) Spray oven sheet with olive oil. Mix everything together. Add enough water to form the mixture into a ball. Place dough between baking paper and roll until very thin. Transfer to the oven tray and score the dough into 2" squares. Bake 30-40 mins until cookies start to lift from the tray. Makes 36 crackers. Sorry don't have the carb count.

kirinesha, Apr 24, 10:59pm
I cooked them at 180C, fan off.for 10 mins I just kept an eye on them and pulled them out as soon as golden. They spread about another 1/3 as wide again as the squashed shape. They are nice enough to have when entertaining.look pretty when made in a small size.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 24, 11:03pm
Re 273 Yes, that is 275 degrees F which converts to - 140 C - which seems realy quite cool!

kirinesha, Apr 24, 11:04pm
Quite a long cooking time though. so any higher wouldn't be great I imagine!

cloudberry, Apr 25, 10:17pm
Advice needed I have some mince and want to make some patties or hamburgers. I have never made them without breadcrumbs before and am a bit worried that they might not hold together without them. Will mince, finely chopped onion, chopped herbs, s & p, and an egg to bind work!

kirinesha, Apr 25, 10:36pm
As longs as the mix isn't too wet, and you . chill them for an hour or so in advance they should be fine. You could also add ground almonds to bind, or coconut flour (used that sucessfully in little meatballs last night). Make sure your onion is very finely minced though as chunks of onion are a weak point in a pattie.most likely to fall apart at that point. I've also added pysllium husks and that's worked well, adds more fibre to the dish too!

cloudberry, Apr 25, 10:44pm
Good point about the onion No almonds or coconut flour, I have some flaxseed though - maybe I'll grind some up and use that for binder/extra fibre. I'll just experiment and see what happens.

kirinesha, Apr 26, 10:59pm
Bumping for Irish .

doug57, Apr 27, 9:30pm
bumping .to avoid 'drop off'!

chelot, Apr 28, 9:23pm
Sweetener Good morning,
Looking to buy a sweetener for baking and cooking. Which one do you recommend and also powder or liquid. Heard about Stevia and want to know if it is a good one to use.
Thank you.

cloudberry, May 1, 1:08am
Bumping for chelot I can't help you, sorry, I don't use sweeteners but someone may be able to help.

tinart, May 2, 5:05am
sweetener in baking i tried splenda but it had a chemical type aftertaste -blerk!so i went to organic health shop and bought Xylitol (sp!) its made from rice somehow and has no carbs. have used in hot drinks so far and is as good as sugar.he said it was 1 1/2 times sweeter than sugar and is same consistancy as sugar.will try baking soon!is $20kg so not cheap

bedazzledjewels, May 2, 5:43am
Like Tinart I'm not too impressed with the after-taste of Splenda. Also the granular stuff has maltodextrin in it to bulk it up, and that must spike my insulin. I've bought some erythritol and I'll give that a try next time I need a sweetener.

chelot, May 2, 6:23am
Sweetener Thanks

bedazzledjewels, May 4, 11:19pm
Cauli Pizza base This looks good - uses coconut flour. Link: http://tinyurl.com/caf9lc

kirinesha, Jun 2, 7:49pm
Jed, you can buy shirataki noodles from . Japanese food / supply shops. They come packed in liquid and have to be drained and rinsed. I don't like the smell the liquid leaves (sort of fishy and strong) but have found that after rinsing if I put them in a pot with fresh water and bring to the boil the smell is gone. They are great for Asian dishes obviously or when in need of a pasta base (they are like vermicelli). Some more info: http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/products/p/shiratakinoodle.htm

kirinesha, Jun 4, 5:22am
Glad you liked it Jed! I got my shirataki noodles from here. http://www.madeinnippon.co.nz/products.htm

I have several packs left (going to stock up again soon).happy to post you one to try!

bedazzledjewels, Jun 16, 12:08am
Dollface's Power Protein bars Link: http://tinyurl.com/n4pcqo