Low Carb recipe thread

Page 41 / 43
kirinesha, Mar 24, 6:57pm
Last night my lovely husband made me. duck cooked in a balsamic reduction on top of a cauliflower rosti! (he had potato rosti). He was impressed enough by the cauli version he'd worked out to say he'd try it for himself next time instead of carby old potatoes :)

tessie2, Mar 25, 9:55am
am back and you've all probably gone to bed now. I don't think the cheese was a great success.Maybe I need to use more oil on my plate. I find that I have to ease the spatula underneath and lift it off the plate while it is still quite hot otherwise it just sticks and is hard to get off.

jed, Mar 27, 8:33pm
Does anyone use Sucrylmax!Its a liquid version of sucryl (sp)I would also like to use filo pastry.How bad is filo or is it allowed!TIAOh, and bump to the top.

kirinesha, Mar 27, 9:46pm
Filo has 10 carbs per sheet. You really have to decide on your personal daily allowance of carbs to lose or maintain weight and make up your own mind if you want to use them up on filo.everything is allowed, just some things are going to hinder your progress and are best avoided. There are all sorts of ideas on the internet about ways to make your favourite dishes in a low carb way :)

bedazzledjewels, Mar 29, 12:39am
Coconut Crusted Chicken From Mark's Daily Apple.
This doesn’t even require an ingredient list. Simply take your chicken pieces (or shrimp, or fish), season them with salt and pepper, dunk them in an egg bath (just beaten up raw egg), then dredge them in coconut flour, then back in the egg bath, and then coat with dried coconut flakes. After that, it’s just a matter of frying them in oil (use coconut) or sautéing them in some butter. Crunchy, delicious, and low-carb.

kirinesha, Mar 29, 2:29am
Oh yum! That's a must try for me Dazz!

kirinesha, Mar 30, 5:58am
Eggplant Parmigiana I adapted this from another thread: (bl**dy nice it is too!)1/4C Olive oil, 1 large eggplant trimmed, cut lengthwise in 8 slices, 1 clove crushed garlic, 1 can diced tomatoes, 3/4C cream, 1/3C shredded fresh basil, 1/2C grated parmesan, baby basil leaves to garnish. METHOD: Preheat oven to 200C. Heat a char-grill pan over high heat. Brush eggplant slices with oil and salt & pepper them.Cook, in batches, 2 mins each side or until brown. In another pot saute the garlic until soft, add the tomatoes, salt & pepper and simmer for 10 mins. Add cream and basil. Place 4 slices of eggplant in a single layer in a shallow baking dish; top with half the sauce, remaining eggplant, remaining sauce & sprinkle with parmesan. Bake 10-20 mins or until cheese is melted & bubbly.Serves 2 low carbers.

kirinesha, Mar 31, 7:27pm
Bump. .

bedazzledjewels, Apr 2, 4:00am
Bump for Haley :-)

charlieb2, Apr 2, 4:00am
bumping for hayley .

bedazzledjewels, Apr 3, 8:31pm
Bumping up for new low carb friends

bedazzledjewels, Apr 4, 6:59pm
Zucchini hummus I haven't tried this yet. From Feel Good Eating - " In the food processor combine one large peeled zucchini (cut into a few chunks before putting in the processor), 2 small cloves of garlic, 2 tbs tahini, 1-2 tbsps of lemon juice, fresh parsley or cilantro and some sea salt.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 5, 8:29pm
Low carb Sushi From Dollface - "I used Nori which is the toasted seaweed, you can use raw seaweed but I prefer the toasted one, it's darker in color. Then I fried 2 eggs into a flat omelette, avacado and crab meat with homemade mayo, then I added ginger juice (grated fresh ginger and then the juice that comes out), lime juice and ofcourse wasabi YUM! Then to top it off I use Tamari instead of Soy Sauce, I prefer it. So I just made it the same as you do with rice, it's a little harder to roll because the rice makes it easier, but as you can see from the photo it came out pretty darn good if you ask me. Even my family who love the rice sushi even liked this. I can see this is going to become a weekly meal for me, maybe a lunch when I feel like treating myself.

shellranford, Apr 6, 12:57am
Low Carb Sushi Hey thanks for posting the recipe from my blog, it's also very 'primal' with the seaweed.I just had it with lunch using salmon yum yum.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 6, 1:01am
Thanks for dropping in Shell You're doing a great job on your blog. Must look at that lasagne recipe too.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 7, 1:04am
Quick Chocolate syrup 1 square Lindt 85% dark chocolate;
2 Tbsp hot water;
1 small drop vanilla;
1 tsp sweetener (or a drop of liquid sweetener);

Microwave for 10 seconds at a time, stirring between cooking times, until mixture is thoroughly combined. Makes about 3 Tbsp.

Nutritional information (increases if you also eat a square of chocolate on the side): Calories: 50, Carbohydrates: 1.25 g

kirinesha, Apr 11, 9:44pm
English Pickled Eggs (perfect snacks!) .just posted this elsewhere then realised they are great for low carbers (and inexpensive!): • 12 eggs
• 4 cups malt vinegar
• 3 cinnamon sticks
• 10 whole cloves
• 2 tsp. allspice
• 10 peppercorns
• 1 chili pepper, finely chopped (opt). METHOD: Put the eggs in cold water, add a teaspoon of vinegar and bring them gently to a boil. Continue to boil for 10 minutes and then put them in a bowl of cold water. When they are cool enough to handle, peel off the shells and put them in clean jars (the larger the better).
Heat the vinegar and the spices in the top of a double boiler. Remove from the heat as soon as the mixture comes to a boil. Allow the mixture to steep for two hours and then pour it over the eggs and seal the jars. Store at least 2 weeks before eating.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 13, 2:31am
Coconut- Roasted Pumpkin with Cashew/Coriander Crumble. From the Listener. I'm leaving out the 1T brown sugar! Ingredients: 70g cashews; 1/2t turmeric; 3cm piece of fresh ginger or 1/4t ground ginger; 1/2t sea salt; 100ml coconut cream; 1.2kg pumpkin peeled, seeded and sliced; 50g shredded coconut; smal bumch coriander leaves. Method on the next page!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 13, 2:34am
Above continued Method: Preheat oven to 190C. spread nuts on a baking tray, then toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Cool. In a large bowl mix spices, salt, then stir in the coconut cream. Add pumpkin and toss with the coconut mixture. Spread pum[kin out on a baking dish lkined with baking paper. Bake 20 minutes stirring once. Remove from oven and add the coconut. Toss to combine then cook another 5 minutes. Finely chop the nuts, then combine with coriander. Scatter over the pumpkin on a serving dish.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 13, 8:53pm
Use up left-over ham - Dana Carpender's Ham Kedger Ham Kedgeree.
1/2 head cauliflower;
3 tablespoons butter;
1 tablespoon curry powder;
2 cups ham cubes;
4 hard-boiled eggs;
3 tablespoons minced onion;
1/4 cup heavy cream;
salt and pepper;
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley;
Method:
Run the cauliflower through the shredding blade of your food processor. Put it in a microwaveable casserole with a lid, add a couple of tablespoons of water, cover, and microwave on high for 6 minutes.

While that's happening, cut your ham in 1/2" cubes, mince your onion, and peel and chop your eggs coarsely.

Melt the butter in your large, heavy pan over low heat, and add the curry powder and onion. Saute them together for 2-3 minutes. Add everything else, stir gently but thoroughly (gently so that you don't completely pulverize the hunks of egg yolk,) heat through, and serve.

4 servings, each with: 340 Calories; 27g Fat ; 19g Protein; 6g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber

bedazzledjewels, Apr 14, 2:09am
Fish & Vegetable Curry from Paleo Cookbook. 400gr white fish fillets cut into thick slices; 400gr coconut milk; 2T red curry paste; 2 carrots in thin strips (might sub capsicums!); 2 cups red cabbage thinly sliced; fresh coriander. Method: Place coconut milk & paste into a pan & heat 2 mins, stirring until combined. Add everything else. Cover & simmer 4-5 minutes or until fish is cooked. Serve with coriander.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 15, 8:44am
Bump for TA

davidk63, Apr 19, 5:33am
bump couldn't believe its so far down the message board.Come on everyone, I'm still looking for more great ideas.

kirinesha, Apr 19, 5:56am
Mushroom Heaven (Hot or Cold Slice) This is from Dana Carpender and it's a beauty! Can eat hot as a side dish at dinner, or cold as it slices really well - great to take for lunch (and it's easy and yummy!)! 4tbsp butter, 500gm sliced mushrooms, 1/2 med diced onion, 1 clove crushed garlic, 1/4 cp dry white wine, 1 tsp lemon juice, 3/4 cp each std milk & cream, 3 eggs, salt & pepper, 3 cups grated cheese (Gruyere if you're feeling rich). METHOD: Saute onion, garlic & mushrooms in butter until soft. Turn up heat to boil off cooking juices. Add wine & cook until that's boiled off too. Remove from heat, add lemon juice. Mix in bowl with all ingredients except 1 cp of the cheese. Pour into greased 20 x 20cm baking dish, top with rest of cheese & cook 45 mins at 180C or until golden brown on top. 9 serves at 4 carbs net each. Note: the wine is a must - adds a real depth of flavour!

bedazzledjewels, Apr 20, 12:11am
Wonderful cheesecake by Dollface Happy to link to this one. Thanks Shell! What I like about this one is that it doesn't use as but just the natural sweetness of the berries. Also uses mascarpone instead of cream cheese. Link to Dollface's blog - http://tinyurl.com/c8kdw8