This Weeks Meat Specials.

Page 2 / 6
bedazzledjewels, Feb 2, 7:07am
I can't answer that one Toady - try emailing Colin.
My pack arrives next Friday, so I'll let you know then. He also does biltong too, so I might get some of that.

motorbo, Feb 2, 8:04am
yes im quite keen but would liek to know what the steak is like after you have had a meal bedazzled, and if good then i will, might even shout the kids a pack!!

whitehead., Feb 3, 2:42am
topside is a steak and should be treated as such ,heat your oven to 200degs and on your stove top brown your beef on all sides . lay your roasting dish with a layer of chopped spud and some onions garlic anything you have in your fridge put your meat on top and roast on a high heat for 30minutes a pound and use the veg to make gravy yumm i like my meat rare

tipsy_bl0nde, Feb 3, 6:21am
i bought a small rolled beef roast from madbutcher today to try. its a pepper seasoned one. will let you know how it comes out will be putting it on for dinner tomorrow night :)

alewis, Feb 3, 7:16am
good thread, I got a real shock when I was having people last week and didnt do my homework, my chicken breasts were $23.99 so I fairly much paid double from when they are on special. dont go there toady with the seasoned rolled roast, feel sorry for the rubbish bin the next day - its really that bad. really interesting about not being on the sites too, when reading down I thought I will google that but you had already done it toady, - I think salmon is worth a look at too, so very good for you and you dont need a huge amount thats on special often in the low $20 kg.
it will be nice to be informed of good deals.

nfh1, Feb 3, 8:45am
I bought some marinated steak once from the supermarket, would never buy anything marinated again - you could not tell if it was beef, pork, lamb or chicken.

It was the most expensive 'steak' I have ever purchased - one bite each was more than enough.

alewis, Feb 3, 10:28am
agree with you nfh, it seams to take any fibre out of the meat - tender as but you can almost taste the chemicals exploding in your mouth!!

tipsy_bl0nde, Feb 4, 7:08am
had the seasoned rolled beef from mad butcher for dinner tonight . had pepper seasoning on it and it was quite tasty but yes a bit tough but still enjoyable.

jessie981, Feb 4, 7:24am
In letter box to-day from Mad Butcher validfrom Mon 7th Feb - Sun 13th
Fresh boneless chicken breasts & tender breast fillets $10.99 kilo
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts $13.99 kilo
Seasoned whole chickens $5.99 kilo
Fresh chicken thighs & whole legs $4.99 kilo
Fresh chicken drums $5.99
Genuine chicken sausages $4.99 kilo

uli, Feb 4, 7:58am
You do realize though that the specials from the South Island and North island are not the same?

Nor are the ones from Pak"n"Save (as they are all individually owned and operated)- so if you do not give in the header where you are then this whole exercise is pretty useless - we had this discussion many times here before in other "specials" threads.

nfh1, Feb 4, 8:16am
Has anyone else noticed how much water comes out of the chicken packs from Mad Butcher?Just wondering how special the special is if you are paying for water?

uli, Feb 4, 8:26am
They now have those tenderized chicken stuff too ("only at the Mad Butcher") - keep well away from it - all injected with chemicals and of course lots of water ... always good to sell water - makes a lot of profit! (or air as in the so-called fluff they call "bread" here).

nfh1, Feb 4, 8:30am
Will not be buying again - it was a convenience thing.I use a local butcher now, they are much tastier, and no water.

goldgurl, Feb 4, 8:42am
I agree that there seems to be lots of 'water' pumped into the chicken breasts fromt he mad Butcher, but I must also say that the tender basted chicken breasts taste sooo good *sigh*

Toady...I felt like kicking myself today - I went to the Mad Butcher and bought 3 of the $10 packs of mince (1.5kgs each) then thought I'd just check out the other butcher just a little further down on Gt Sth Road next to Hells Pizza...and they had 2kgs of mince packs for $10!!That's a whole 500gms MORE...and they looked as 'good/bad'(lol) as the Mad Butcher mince *sigh*They also had those hash brown packs of 20 for $3.99, bought a couple of those as a treat for the kids one day...

toadfish, Feb 4, 8:35pm
Looking at the Mad Butchers Website there specials seem to be countrywide...

Thanks for all the heads up.I am going to take Marywea's advice as this weekends special is - fresh No16 chickens they are $8.50 from Foodtown/Countdown etc.I and going to remove the breasts, legs & wings. Freeze the legs & wings for use another time and add all the small pieces of meat off the frame to the breast meat for stirfrys etc and then freeze the frames for stock or soup.If I buy 2 fresh chickens that will make 3 meals for $5.66 per meal (4 x legs for 1 meal & 2 x meals of breasts etc for stirfrys) plus the bonus of the frames & chicken wing nibbles (I may even freeze them in a Soya, Honey, garlic, ginger mix). Much cheaper than buying boneless chicken breasts.

I may even buy 4..... pour myself a glass of wine tonight and have a boning bagging session...

bedazzledjewels, Feb 4, 8:51pm
What else would we think of doing on a Saturday night Toady!
Great advice about buying whole chickens and dealing to them. I do the same with duck which occsionally you find frozen at Nosh. A whole one does the two of us for two meals and then it's into the stockpot, and also lots of duck fat for my morning mushrooms and roast veges.

crails, Feb 4, 9:33pm
NFH1 The Mad Butcher Chicken Specials are usually Tegel Chicken, maybe call them re the water content?

eljayv, Feb 4, 10:49pm
Rolled roast cooked in crockpot comes out tender and the juices from it make a wonderful gravy.I just push a few garlic slivers intoit and put it in on low and let it cook all day the longer the better.Bolar or topside roast is even better as it is easier to carve. I buy larger than I need ( this week Aussie Butcher 7.99kg) and get three meals out of it. roasted one day and the following sliced and reheated in the leftover gravy and withthe roast vege from day before reheated in oven to crisp up again. Then the third day chopped up in food processor with onion gravy tom sauce etc to make into cottage pie.Or you can serve slice beef with a salad on one of the days but my family love roasts so two days running suits them fine.

cookessentials, Feb 16, 10:24pm
One of my customers has an Angus Beef farm, so have just been talking with them about being able to purchase fresh Angus beef through them which will be a real treat. it is processed at Wanganui and comes aged and chilled and vacuum packed.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 16, 10:33pm
There is something very satisfying about dealing with the actual farmer! I hope your customer takes the step Cooks. It must be more rewarding for them too, to deal directly with customers.

valentino, Feb 16, 11:32pm
Very nice from the farmers or homekill.

Looking at prices this week (14-2-11 onwards), are all up, very few specials on and the Fish is up in price as well.

Yeah, got to have those other sources.

Cheers.

uli, Feb 16, 11:45pm
Those new "tenderbreasts" that have even more water content.

beaker59, Feb 16, 11:50pm
Steak for lunch at your place is it!

beaker59, Feb 16, 11:50pm
Steak for lunch at your place is it?

bedazzledjewels, Feb 16, 11:55pm
Believe me, it looked so good I almost ate some raw!