Freezing Homemade Meat Pies

tabitha, Jun 18, 12:57am
I have tried thickening the mix with cornflour, but after freezing the 'gravy' is runny. Have tried arrowroot, and it was jelly-like. Is there something else please?
Also, I think I read you should fry onion & add it last, before freezing? Does anyone do this? Many thanks.

lythande1, Jun 18, 1:59am
Cooked or uncooked? I generally freeze uncooked pies and haven't had an runny gravies. Then again, I don't put too much gravy in them either.

tabitha, Jun 18, 2:12am
Cooked. I cook filling, re-cook with pastry on, & freeze when cold. I use my grandmother's very basic pastry which is delicious.

tabitha, Jun 18, 3:18am
tabitha wrote:
INobody freezes meat pies????

tabitha, Jun 18, 10:53pm
Nobody! How amazing.

tabitha, Jun 19, 12:57am
I have tried thickening the mix with cornflour, but after freezing the 'gravy' is runny. Have tried arrowroot, and it was jelly-like. Is there something else please!
Also, I think I read you should fry onion & add it last, before freezing! Does anyone do this! Many thanks.

lythande1, Jun 19, 1:59am
Cooked or uncooked! I generally freeze uncooked pies and haven't had an runny gravies. Then again, I don't put too much gravy in them either.

tabitha, Jun 19, 2:12am
Cooked. I cook filling, re-cook with pastry on, & freeze when cold. I use my grandmother's very basic pastry which is delicious.

tabitha, Jun 19, 3:18am
tabitha wrote:
INobody freezes meat pies!

kabbo, Jun 19, 4:30am
you probably need to make the gravy VERY thick, as once frozen and then thawed - it makes/adds a lot of water, so if it was really thick when you cook it, as in too thick that you eat it like that, once thawed it would be an ok consistancy........if that makes sense.

angie117, Jun 19, 4:36am
I freeze cooked pies, usually mince or leftover stew etc. I dont put alot of gravy in them just enough. And I always thicken with cornflour. And I had not heard about frying onion and adding it last.

tabitha, Jun 19, 5:35am
Thank you kabbo & angie, that's a help. Will give it another go.

pogram0, Jun 19, 6:39am
I always freeze my homemade pies.I just thicken them with flour and water and have never had a problem such as you have described.

books4nz, Jun 19, 7:29am
I use flour too, and they freeze well.. homemade meat pies - yummmmm!

kabbo, Jun 20, 4:30am
you probably need to make the gravy VERY thick, as once frozen and then thawed - it makes/adds a lot of water, so if it was really thick when you cook it, as in too thick that you eat it like that, once thawed it would be an ok consistancy.if that makes sense.

tabitha, Jun 20, 5:35am
Thank you kabbo & angie, that's a help. Will give it another go.

books4nz, Jun 20, 7:29am
I use flour too, and they freeze well. homemade meat pies - yummmmm!

tabitha, Jun 21, 12:29am
Hey thanks - haven't tried flour. Feel the urge coming on....I love grandma's pastry. (Not to mention she'd have killed me if she heard me call her that - christian name only!)

tabitha, Jun 22, 12:29am
Hey thanks - haven't tried flour. Feel the urge coming on.I love grandma's pastry. (Not to mention she'd have killed me if she heard me call her that - christian name only!)