Food Lies told by Doctors, Dietitians & Others

Page 3 / 66
farwest, Sep 30, 2:03am
50... .

marielize1, Dec 23, 3:39am
The post from Coach Jeff about Peskin being charged with deception is not as sinister as it appears . . .

First of all, Stephen Barrett and his “Quackwatch” website is not as credible as you might think. (It’s sort of like how people think the Better Business Bureau is some sort of independent defender of truth and ethics when it’s nothing of the sort. But that’s another post entirely. )

I have read Peskin’s explanation with what those charges were all about, and I am satisfied with his explanation. It wasn’t much more than failing to follow fairly arcane labeling regulations. Anyone who has owned a business will be able to relate to the legalistic trivia that one can get ensnared in.

I have the full Peskin explanation on my hard drive. Anyone interested in reading it may email me directly at billymuellerATgmail.com

I downloaded the document from his website but can’t remember where it was exactly inside all those links.

I should point out that I’m not associated with him in any way. I rigorously looked into Peskin because my wife got cancer and I wanted to be damn sure I was not adhering to the beliefs of some charlatan.

While Peskin’s personality is fairly off-putting (at least to me), I find him to be credible. He also answers emails, by the way. Very stand-up guy.

UN:F [1. 7. 5_995]

marielize1, Dec 23, 3:44am
Quite a bit of discussion about that quackwatch after the interview, best to read it and decide for one self.

male_timaru, Dec 23, 6:36am
How many times do i have to say this? this is the ignorant kind of things that peeve me off about you guys - i have stated loads and loads of times now that the semi-skimmed milks are useful when you are using larger portions - it is about portion control

If you are losing weight and cannot do the exercise required you cut out some of the fat from your diet and it reduces your weight enough to get you mobile enough to lose weight effectively! ! !

It is about PORTION control having half fat milk means i can eat the size of meal i need in the mornings and evenings! !

I would definately not use full fat milk to eat 6 and 7 weetbix in the mornings! ! DAILY - so i use semi-skimmed milk and promote it as a healthier alternative - it has had nothing done to it to remove the fat - it gets SPUN ROUND and gets separated that way (centrefugal force)

You guys are telling it like it has things DONE to it to get rid of fat - it doesn't - get those facts right!

male_timaru, Dec 23, 6:38am
buzzy110 - you have still yet to tell us your QUALIFICATIONS in this matter - so why should we listen to you?

I have said what my angle/interest/qualifications are but you haven't yet!

This is what pees me off - you have a go at me and call me ignorant but never ONCE state why you are so more knowledgeable on this DIET

uli, Dec 23, 6:45am
Not only cheap but fresh!
Cause it is picked and sold the next day.

While the supermarket stuff is picked in Northland, packed into cartons, trucked to Auckland, sits in the warehouse for a day or two, gets auctioned off (hopefully on that day, otherwise it is held over till the next auction), gets loaded the next day onto a truck, gets trucked back to Pak'n'Save or whoever bought it. Goes into the chiller there and gets put out for sale once the stuff on the shelves is sold. So by the time you buy your supermarket veges they are probably 10 days old and have travelled 300 to 500km!

So save the planet and shop at the growers market LOL :)

buzzy110, Dec 23, 9:59am
First of all m_t I have always been open about my lack of qualitifcations. I am not a health professional in any way shape or form. And surely that is the point. It is the health professionals who are dishing out the lies and it is the little people like me who have looked and learned and realised that there are serious problems with their advice.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:03am
Secondly. We just have given, in the last 26 pages of postings absolutely irrefutable evidence that the path you are suggesting for poster in here is so wrong.

For instance. The thought of eating weetbix, let alone 6 or 7 every morning is completely anathema to us. They are a highly processed foodstuff (learn how they make the flakes), loaded with sugar and just a huge carbohydrate. So consuming skim milk is irrelevant to us.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:15am
Thirdly. Do stop your incessant whining. We are not here for you to dominate. Stop attributing words we have never written to us - i. e. "piece of dirt, arrogant, ignorant" - in an obvious attempt to become the alpha male. We are not easily cowed.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:24am
Fourthly, you are working from a stance of losing weight and building muscle and getting fit.

We, on the other hand are working from the point of view a lifetime of good health. That same good health that was readily available to our grandparents and all our ancestors that came before them.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:30am
For your information we do not believe that anything has been added or done to the lowfat milk, other than that the fat, which is an integral part of the whole, has been removed.

Healthy foods are about synergy which is why we seriously promote primary produce and oppose highly processed foodstuffs. Primary produce foods are whole foods with little, or no processing so all their components can work together just as nature intended. Highly processed (weetbix and low fat milk for instance) foods, on the other hand break the synergy. Vital for good health bits are removedso that they can conform to some political and financial ideology that bears little relation to good health.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:37am
And another thing. Stop making this thread about you. It is about the food, the lies and the science not about you and your feelings or your impotent rage or whatever it is our well founded logic is doing to your feelings. Trying to discredit me is pointless as the message has been taken up by others and they have provided links to research, doctors, dietitians and other qualified people who are saying exactly what we have been saying.

Namely, that the lowfat, high carb diet has been irrefutably proven bad for long term health in so many ways.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:45am
Now about cooking with olive oil.

I was speaking the the olive oil seller at Clevedon Markets this evening. He reminded me that Mediterranean peoples, who are very healthy people, have been cooking with it for centuries. It is also worth noting that he too, is fit, slim and very active and he cooks with it almost exclusively (as you would if you grew and produced olives and oil).

He is an excellent advertisement for the health and slimming benefits of oils and fats.

So I thank tradesdaughter for pushing me to look into this little problem.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:53am
Adding to uli's description of the length of time fresh produce (even that sold in organic shops) takes to reach the supermarket shelves, it isn't kept in chillers once it reaches the supermarket. If it is not put onto the shelves or into the front of shop chillers immediately it sits out the back in dirty surroundings in broken and dirty trolleys, completely unprotected from dirt and heat till they think the old stuff has sold down enough to put the 'new' stuff out.

Also, fresh produce doesn't actually last that long once it is picked. It starts to deteriorate immediately which is why I pick my mescalin lettuces just before eating. It is not widely known but, in the supermarkets at least, produce is sprayed with some sort of chemical that helps produce retain its freshly-picked appearance.

That is one of the resaons why it doesn't last long in your fridge at home.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:57am
French women have understood about fresh produce for centuries. They have markets at least twice a week and when they have to shop from supermarkets or veg shops they buy only what they need for that day. The new trend of Farmer's Markets are the most wonderful things to ever happen to the food trade ever in NZ.

male_timaru, Dec 23, 11:53am
SO YOU HAVE NO medical or professional background and are quoting "medical and scientific" research as your own ideas - this is wrong and you are trying to be superior and i am not making it about me - i have tried time and time again to tell you that you are incorrect in saying that perfectly healthy food is not good for us! !

You have bought into the OPPOSITE HYPE sorry but you are blind if you think i am blind! ! !

Works both ways - you just cannot accept it! ! I have agreed on some of your points and some of what you are saying but on the whole TOTALLY DISAGREE about the foods (and that is what i am arguing about not you personally - you seem to have been making it personal so i have been responding! ! ) you have rubbished! !

They are perfectly healthy and are made from natural ingredients! ! !

male_timaru, Dec 23, 11:54am
I won't be posting any more on this thread because i think you are absolutely blind to your HYPOCRITICAL responses - you have admitted eating what you say is unhealthy! ! !

So your arguments are flawed and so is your theory! !

FACT

Goodbye you have come across in this thread as an obnoxious woman! NOT in any other thread i must admit but in this one you have!

marielize1, Dec 23, 7:05pm
Hi Buzz and TD, I guess the only problem maybe spending a small fortune on good COLD pressed olive oil and then heating and using it for cooking, maybe using the cheaper stuff will be OK as long as it is not chemically extracted?

buzzy110, Dec 23, 9:33pm
Yes. Cost is definitely a factor. And adding to m_t's accusation that I have admitted eating food I say is bad, I have to admit that, in hindsight, I do use olive oil to cook with. I completely forgot that I bake bread and roast vegetables with it. I do have trouble throwing it into a frying pan though.

buzzy110, Dec 23, 9:37pm
To anyone who drops by today, I'd like to wish you all a very happy Christmas and New Year. Thank you tradesdaughter for your kind thoughts.

This thread has been going for a while and I have been heartened and somewhat surprised that it has lasted this long. I didn't realise how many people there were who understand and agree that the low fat , high carb recommendations of our health professionals is deeply flawed.

anselmiavaries, Dec 23, 9:51pm
I just follow my own plan which works for me. I am nearly 43 years old and after being a previous "fattie" and very unfit I am now 56kgs and extremely fit (run marathons and gym 4 x week) I tend to stick to foods that make "me" feel good which are fresh veges, lots oily fish, red meat in moderation, chicken, white fish, no bread, brown rice, porridge and egg whites for breakfast. I use olive oil in all our cooking and take supplements every day. I dont know whats right or wrong but thats how I take responsibility for myself and at 43 I feel I have turned back the clock and people tell me that I look in my 30s so I'm happy. Merry Xmas everyone

marielize1, Dec 23, 9:56pm
Buzzy I think some people like M-T has trouble understanding that this is not a black and white finite science. It is all finding the right % of fat/carb/protein for each individual body's chemistry.
Learning and exploring and fine tuning all the time.
Though we have found a stable foundation in understanding the dangers of sugars, artificial "food", the wrong carbs and the very healthy aspects of animal fats and naturally oily plants, we will most propably learn and have to adapt some views forever.

We are living in great times were health information are easily found and we have access to great minds, willing to share freely.
As long as we keep on thinking critically on what we except and what we reject.

marielize1, Dec 23, 10:07pm
My opinion would be that you are doing great! If you are in a place where you can "read" your body's needs rather than following a list of rules, you are miles ahead of most people

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:28pm
I agree entirely with your #1273 post marieleze1. m_t seemed to get hooked into some weird game of finding fault with our posts and getting angry that we debated his world view on food.

I have always said that balance is everything. I hate the idea ofdeliberately depriving myself of wonderful foods simply because they don't fit in with some dietary programme. I want to be allowed to eat everything that is natural, unprocessed or hardly and fresh, as and when they ripen, mature, come off farms with good animal welfare and are available on our trees, gardens and in the wild.

Who in their right mind would ignore fresh seasonal bounty just to stick to a rigid, boring diet of foods that may not even be in season?

buzzy110, Dec 23, 10:31pm
anselmiavaries - What a wonderful story. Congratualtions on having an epiphany and the desire to see it through that has resulted in you regaining your health and vigour. You couldn't have given yourself a better present than that.