In love with my new food processor!

Page 1 / 2
mazzy1, Feb 6, 1:06am
I've never had one before yesterday and I'm amazed how fabulous it is!! Have made a nice garlicky pesto with my rampant basil and a nice garlicky hummus (notice a theme, anyone?) What else can I tackle with either veges out of the garden or something else? (Probably time for something WITHOUT garlic now.....)

nfh1, Feb 6, 1:09am
Which one did you buy mazzy1?

I would like one but there are so many different ones, and a huge price range.

davidt4, Feb 6, 1:12am
Mayonnaise is easy in a processor.

Vegetable purees are great as part of a meal - cooked carrot/cauli/peas/broccoli/bee-
troot/celeriac/kumara/spinach/-
silver beet with either butter or cream, herbs, Dijon mustard.

The only vegetable that you can't puree in a processor is potato - it goes gluey and horrible.

mazzy1, Feb 6, 1:18am
Do you know what? I went to the Warehouse yesterday and found an Akai dual blender/food processor for half price - $75. I figured it had a 2 year warranty so how bad could it be? It seems to work perfectly for what I need it for, as I won't be every day use. You should go for it!!

mazzy1, Feb 6, 1:20am
So just puree them and serve with steak or chicken? I have some giant silverbeets, broccoli going to seed and beetroots for Africa!

nfh1, Feb 6, 1:22am
Wow - thanks very much!

mazzy1, Feb 6, 1:37am
No problem! I had been looking on TM for ages too, and decided to bite the bullet and go for the new Akai. I didn't know until I got it up to the checkout that it was half-price, so I was doubly delighted!

davidt4, Feb 6, 1:57am
Yes.Make sure that you drain the veges well (especially spinach and silverbeet) so they won't be too sloppy.They will need plenty of salt and pepper.

Our overgrown broccoli, including flowers,made a wonderful puree with one peeled kumara added.It's worth experimenting with different combinations of veges.

mazzy1, Feb 6, 2:27am
Yum - that sounds great! Kumara cooked first, I presume? I am really keen to use up as much of the garden as I can; it's such a shame to waste it!

davidt4, Feb 6, 4:18am
Yes.I don't think raw kumara is edible.

mazzy1, Feb 6, 4:46am
Have you also used the broccoli flowers etc to make soup?

davidt4, Feb 6, 4:59am
Not yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

ribzuba, Feb 6, 5:00am
make aioli!! (garlic mayo :P)

lyl_guy, Feb 6, 8:49am
LOL! I'm in love with mine too... a Kenwood 950 with the scales on it.... got it last week, in a great sale at Harvey Norman.Have made a gorgeous coleslaw just to try out the slicer mode.... REALLY fine cuts!Will be doing pastry, pizza bases, Aioli, Mayo, pesto etc etc!It will be staying ON the bench, as I use the blender most days for shakes.

mazzy1, Feb 6, 9:33am
Aioli........my favourite thing!! I have plans to eat enough garlic for THREE people.

mazzy1, Feb 6, 9:35am
Coleslaw - I can't wait! Nothing tastes like fresh, eh? I haven't tried out the blades yet - I only have a very basic shredder and a grater blade, but they look like they will do the trick! Have fun with yours.

lyl_guy, Feb 7, 5:49am
And pastry!Just made my first ever shortcrust pastry in it.... to make it was EASY as.... BUT the rolling/ handling has gone a bit awry, lol!The recipe I used was from the kenwood book, but only made a very small amount so have had to do an 'old-fashioned' style apple pie with just the filling in dish, and pastry on the top.Will try a different recipe next time.It's in the oven right now, if it comes out half decent, will post a pic!I'm such an amateur... I'm in my 40's and have never made pastry in my LIFE till now.

grandma, Feb 8, 8:50am
Lyl guy - where did you get your NZ shaped cookie cutter from?I can think of so many uses for it.(Congratulations on your pie too - it looks delicious.)

andy644, Feb 8, 8:56am
There is nothing like a food processor that is efficient. I have a big breville one and a mini breville. Both are great. I love making dough for cheese biscuits in my big one and use the wee one for the odd leftover slices of stale bread to make breadcrumbs, blitz herbs and spices.
They just save so much time and I am sure my family are sick of me saying "oh I just love my whizzer" every time i use it-which is most days!!!!

lyl_guy, Feb 9, 3:43am
From "Stevens".... it's cool eh?

grandma, Feb 9, 8:17am
Thank you - will keep my eyes open to spot it.

libby51, Feb 15, 4:44am
This is very good news!My aged mother has just given me her food processor, as I've never had one, I've used the Kenwood blender,and I was wondering whether I've accepted just another cupboard filler.But I have veges in the garden that I'm sick of, I never thought of whizzing them up to make a puree to go with sausage etc!I did make apple sauce and that was so quick to whizz, Hmm I think I might be onto a winner here!Thanks!

elliehen, Feb 16, 3:12am
libby51, everyone is hanging out in your Peanut Butter thread for a check on the quantity of flour in your recipe :)

elliehen, Feb 16, 8:30am
They're still asking for you libby51 :)

summersunnz, Feb 16, 1:51pm
Would you share your cheese biscuit recipe please? Thanks.