Food Lies told by Doctors, Dietitians & Others

Page 2 / 66
helen59, Sep 29, 9:41am
The trick is To read the labels on EVERYTHING. I know I look silly shopping with my reading glasses on the tip of my nose but they sneak all this bad stuff in when you aren't looking! I avoid 950 (aspartame) and it's surrounding numbers. In fact I avoid all numbers unless I know exactly what they are. That keeps me away from processed foods and that has got to be so much better for me.

buzzy110, Sep 29, 9:41am
#22. There is a very good reason why your grandparents were able to eat in moderation. That reason was fat. They ate natural fat, i. e. butter, cream, saturated animal fats. These fats are necessary and very filling. When you eat fat you are satisfied earlier and for longer. They give you the energy and stamina to keep going until the next meal and, more importantly, reduce hunger. Why would you substitute that for sugary, empty calories?

buzzy110, Sep 29, 9:47am
There has been research which points to the fact that those women who eat low fat diets are more prone to dying of breast cancer. Two very famous examples of that are Jackie Onasis/Kennedy and Linda McCartney.

didi37, Sep 29, 10:20am
My sister gave me a similar run down and said I should read "The Cell Factor" by a well known Aust cardiologist. I read some , got to techo for me. Explained about trans fats etc. Check you local library and some of his articles are on www.

beaker59, Sep 29, 10:26am
#25 I avoid things with labels altogether I try to eat veges out of my own garden or buy loose at the vege shop, half my meat comes from my hunting trips the rest from the local butcher. Otherwise I guess the eggs have labels and the sauces and curry pastes the sardines I always have for lunch (omega 3 really helps brain power and skin condition two things I lack) on my hunting trips I do buy bumper bars (a weakness of mine) but generally I avoid processed food. The family doesn't miss it my wife preffers it too and the kids don't know any better.

beaker59, Sep 29, 10:31am
Oh the flour I bake my sour dough bread from has a label but it is just flour in the bag no other additives, I do use some white flour but mostly its wholemeal wheat or rye. MMM sardines on sourdough with a slice of tomato now thats a great lunch.

danielvds, Sep 29, 10:42am
the doco link that i have posted talks about aspartame, MSG in great detail - takes a while to load the doco but worth the wait.

janny3, Sep 29, 1:08pm
Saw Betty Martini when she was on tour here Very interesting to attend her seminars. Recommend her to anyone about perils of aspartame.

bernice1, Sep 29, 8:47pm
some problems arise with our food because of the changes made i. e. faster growing, bigger, better crops, require less water, more fertilizer etc etc so our basic foods are grossly modified. The huge proliferation in gluten intolerances is symptomatic of the changes made to wheat over the years to yield bigger better greater crops from smaller plants over a smaller area of land.

maxwell.inc, Sep 29, 10:33pm
Another good Doco to watch is "The World According to Monsanto" these are the guys who produce the "round up" herbicide, That one was an eye opener.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 29, 10:40pm
Thanks Maxwell. Two others that hopefully will come here are "Food In" and "Corn King"

anglia, Sep 29, 11:01pm
I... believe because we are unique individuals and our health picture is changing all the time, we do best to remain open and alert to possibilities and options. I personally, have an allergy to dairy products and feel 100% better without this. I suspect wheat may be an issue for me too although I seem OK with small portions of sourdough wholewheat.

anglia, Sep 29, 11:13pm
I also found that a high protein diet did not suit me although I did try this for a while with bedazz and other'son here but my kidneys were not coping with all the protein so felt unwell. I totally agree that no one specific eating regime suits all the people all the time. Yes, I agree we need to think for ourselves and make informed choices and eating processed, packaged 'dead' food is plain wrong.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 29, 11:20pm
Agree 100% Anglia we need to take responsibility for our own health. But the prevalent attitude among so many that you go to the doctor to get drugs to make you feel better instead of really trying to find out what's causing the problem, bugs me.

anglia, Sep 29, 11:41pm
off subject slightly but I have been reading of the significant Vitamin D deficiency that is surfacing worldwide. Apparently, 'Vitamin D' is something of a misnomer as it is scientifically regarded as a steroid. Vitamin D deficiency increases one's chances of depression, cancer, premature aging & dementia the list goes on - all these illnesses are gaining while we are told to stay away from the sun or apply an artificial chemical equation to our skin. Sure we should protect against skin cancer but the inclusion of an adequate Vitamin D supplement may be a very simple & cheap protection against these diseases. Obviously, this simple addition would not suit the interests of pharmaceutical companies.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 29, 11:48pm
Anglia I call my vitamin D3 capsules my happy pills! Yes, it's very important. I take 4000IU each day and I'd like to be tested to see if I should be taking more than that. But my GP just laughed and said she didn't test for it as everyone in NZ is deficient!

anglia, Sep 29, 11:52pm
I'm impressed bedazz 4000iu I'm only taking 1000 as I assumed that was sufficient but I guess there is no way one could overdose on Vitamin D as there are no known cases of adverse reaction. OK I'm sold - off to restock lol!

bedazzledjewels, Sep 29, 11:54pm
Some suggest it should be up to 10, 000IU during winter. They help with all sorts of things from depression to heart health. I get mine from John Appleton - link: http://www.johnappleton.co.nz/products/Vitamin-D.html

maxwell.inc, Sep 30, 12:32am
hubby and I have been on D3 for over a year now (as well as a whole host of other goodies) neither of us has caught or suffered from any sort of cold or seasonal 'flu' and I am normally ALWAYS sick thru winter, quite badly with respiratory probs due to damaged lungs. . anyway no sickness. . and hubbys psoriasis has completely disappeared leaving only pink clear smooth skin. Amazing stuff that. . they also have studied pregers women and found 80% are deficient in Vit D and when baby is born baby is also very very deficient.

maxwell.inc, Sep 30, 12:35am
I also tryed High Protien low carbs and got extreamly sick, to the point of passing out. . Saw a nutritionist who worked out that my body doesn't even process protein properly and that i NEED carbs to run on. . more than most. . in fact I lose weight on carbs. . I went from a size 22 - 8 by eating a lot of Pasta, Tomato products and the usual oily fishes and good oils. (this was about 10 years ago now)

homecomfitz, Sep 30, 12:48am
This thread makes a lot of sense to me after reading "Real Food" by Nina Planck, and "Eat Fat, lose Fat" by Sally Fallon, along with "Nourishing Traditions" I am convinced that butter, dripping, coconut oil are the way to go. And I am sick of the same old voices telling us that saturated fats are the ones to avoid, like the so-called Healthy Food Guide, and Petras show on TV3. The info on there is just so wrong and leads us to only gain weight and become even more UNhealthy. Lets eat REAL FOOD, not the empty processed junk so heavily promoted.

aphra1, Sep 30, 1:03am
Great thread I recently had a lifestyle change which allows me the time to cook really good meals from scratch. I'm tending towards the old fashioned/traditional foods and ... I feel full and satisfied! I don't feel the need to snack between meals and I'm not craving sweets. I'm loving producing yummy, natural fresh food as well.

scholar54, Sep 30, 1:42am
This is a great thread Buzzy... . . The most interesting thing is that I have been trying to find somewherelocally where I can enrol to study Nutrition, or to be a Dietician, but as yet, am having no luck. I read on the Internet yesterday that there is a shortage of qualified Dieticians within areas of New Zealand. Every time I try to find somewhere that runs these courses, it's like road blocks come to me. I haven't been tested, but feel that I am Gluten Intolerant, then read on one of these Coconut Oil threads, about more people becoming Gluten Intolerant. I recently threw out an expensive container of my unused Palm Oil, as I read somewhere that it was detrimental to health. Is there any way I can contact you Buzzy? I also live within Manukau.

earthangel4, Sep 30, 1:56am
I am not in here to stir just asking, trying to get information for my sister.
Was wondering how people with ibs and chrohns get on.
My sister has just been told she has chrohns and should avoid anything with fats.
Just want to know if this is right, as I have celiac disease, but I do eat a low carb diet and know how much better I am.
I avoid gluten, so low carb is good for me.

maxwell.inc, Sep 30, 1:59am
earthangel there appears to be heaps of info out there on Chrohns and Coconut oil. . I have a few here for you but if you are interested in finding more just pop "chrohns and Coconut Oil" into google and away you go. . these two are interesting thou. . http://www.virgincoconutoil. ca/virgin_coconut_oil_chrohns_di
sease.htmaand http://www.coconutdiet.com/digestive_disorders.htm