Food processors- which brand to buy?

pangeafan, Jan 6, 11:09pm
Hi
Need to replace my toshiba food processor what is a good strong machine to replace it?Cant afford magimix and don't want lots of unnecessary blades but kids want one with a blender.
Thanks

wron, Jan 7, 2:09am
Briscoes have a Breville with a blender as well - marked down from $249 to under $100 till 9th I think. Has the original price on the boxes.

gardie, Jan 7, 2:19am
And I'm not so sure that magimix are all they are cracked up to be.i brought one as it was recommended but it struggles to do some basic tasks - never had the problem with other brands.I'd look for one that meets your needs and give it a go.

greerg, Jan 7, 4:01am
I have a Kenwood combined blender and processor that has been really good.I use i a great deal and have not found anything to complain about with it (even though I do hanker after a bright red Magimix one - or maybe not after Gardie's comment).

rainrain1, Jan 7, 4:05am
Oh?What does it struggle to do as am thinking of getting one

flo16, Jan 7, 4:09am
Never had a problem with my wonderful Magimix cant speak highly enough of them,managed to kill three,all different ones before i invested in this one and no regrets here.Think the others just wore out very well used machines!

ruby19, Jan 7, 4:28am
Personally i would not buy a kenwood, more so due to the plastic not lasting and the replacements being what I deem to be horrifically priced.Plus their "customer service" is non existant, and generally there are no parts in NZ and so pay extra to have them shipped fro OZ.

cookessentials, Jan 7, 4:32am
What is your budget and what do you want to do with it?

gardie, Jan 7, 4:55am
My magimix has big cracks in the bowl and lid - not sure how it holds together AND it has not been misused.I think they are stress cracks.It struggles to mix together a meat loaf mix (1 tin qty), labours when mixing scones (I pulse and as soon as it labours I know they are ready lol) and it never, never, ever crushes a whole packet of biscuits - there are always whole bits in it - no matter how I do it, dropping them in through the shute, 1/2 packet then next 1/2, whole lot in together.Same when I chop carrots for my carrot cake (as opposed to grating them).The base itself is very heavy - certainly not for lifting in and out of cupboards - maybe that means its 'heavy' duty.My favourite all time food processor is a Sunbeam Big Oscar.They stopped making them unfortunately but my Mum's one is still going strong almost 20 years later.

uli, Jan 7, 5:40am
My Kenwood has been used extensively for the last 4 years and I have no problems at all with the plastic. However I do hand wash and never machine wash plastic. maybe that is/was your trouble?

bunny51, Jan 7, 5:41am
I have a kenwood. It is great.

pangeafan, Jan 7, 6:53am
I have mine sitting out so i use(d) it all the time mainly for baking things don't turn out as well with my hand beater so mainly used the metal chopping blade and the grating blade. Would like to hear from anyone who has brought a breville one
thanks

kiwibubbles, Jan 7, 7:15am
i have a kenwood after having had a breville and something else.. trying ot remember.. the kenwood is absolutely fantastic and has all these brilliant attachments and yes i use them.

pangeafan, Jan 7, 10:21am
Ok thank you everybody you are all very helpful -have a biscoes mailer now and they have two advertised the breville for 99 and the kenwood pro for $130 Hmm which to choose..

rrrg, Jan 7, 3:12pm
Kenwood

lythande1, Jan 7, 5:45pm
Best thing to do is look at available models then do a search on USER reviews. That will tell you about reliabilty and any issues with them.
I'd also go the Clearance Shed instead of Briscoes.

ruby19, Jan 7, 6:29pm
Uli mine is 90% hand washed, it has slipped through the dish drawer a few times! Both the processor & blender jug/bowl the handle has cracked off where it attaches tothe bowls, after finding out they were over $120 to replace each, my husband glued them back together. The seals which I could buy in the UK for 2 pounds cost me $25+, plus freight! I needed 2 different types, so over $60.If the gluing hadn`t of worked it would have been cheaper for me to go & replace the whole item, at new it was $299 for the whole package, this was about 8-9 yrs ago.

olwen, Jan 7, 6:48pm
I have a new Kenwood 720 supplied as an insurance replacement.It has lots of extras and a huge bowl.But the slicer/grater blade is small in relation to the bowl.As soon as the food is able it flicks off the edge of the blade and lands in the bowl, leaving sizable ends in with the grated/sliced food and having to be removed.

The best food processor I've ever had is a Ralta Kitchen Wizz II.I loved the adjustable slicer blade!!!

texastwo, Jan 23, 9:40pm
Bought a Breville Whizz just after Xmas and am very unhappy with performance. Doesnt cut up to tiny pieces as well as my previous processor. Was from Briscoes reduced 40%but that doesnt make it a good buy.

texastwo, Jan 23, 11:46pm
In fact just took it back and swapped it for a Kenwood Pro. (extra $40) Instant satisfaction. I'm happy now.

issymae, Feb 24, 7:08pm
bought Kenwood pro 750 just before xmas from briscoes, First time having one,Kenwood Mixer has stood the test of time for 40 years so trusted the brand;
Great machine, still trying out all the processes; only problem was no recipe book but picked up one on TM, Made a bannana loaf and tried recipe for KFC coleslaw, both excellent