Going to try to cut down on the food bill

Page 2 / 3
chchgurl, Jan 19, 2:37am
When you use milk powder for baking, do you 'make it up' first? Or just chuck in it and add the water? (hope that makes sense! LOL)

elliehen, Jan 19, 2:45am
I do both.I 'chuck' it in for my porridge, but I do measure it for cake baking because I want to get the right proportion of milk solids to water and have it mixing properly.For things like muffins or scones, I'd chuck it in.

You can also make up a jug with less powder than the directions suggest if you've got children swigging glasses of milk - that's a saving and better for them.Over time I've 'thinned' the milk I use for tea.

uli, Jan 19, 3:59am
I noticed a difference since I am not buying grains, cereals, flour, sugar, pasta, rice, lentils, chickpeas and a host of other unnecessary things. The money I save I use to buy more fish, Australian prawns and other nice protein sources :)

tinkerrbelle, Jan 19, 4:02am
I use every tea bag at least twice!

lilyfield, Jan 19, 4:05am
I invested in a peppermint plant. Have been drying and drying and drying it ever since. No more bought tea for me.

cantab29, Jan 19, 4:34am
Try buying meat from the butcher and fruit/veges from a fruit and vege shop rather than the supermarket.
Get a chest freezer and buy meat only when on special and keep a "stock list" of whats in there so you can plan your meals.
Grow your own veges if you can (and some fruit).
Preserve, preserve, preserve.The next couple of months are the times to stock up on cheap produce and turn into chutneys, jams, pasta sauces, bottled fruit etc.Keep your old jars to store in.
Plan your menus for two weeks and only shop fortnightly.
It sure isn't getting easier but I've saved a fortune in the last couple of years by following the above.

rainbowpride, Jan 19, 5:03am
Hi guys thanks for all the great advice my shopping bill this week was $156 which of course I am very happy about.I have done a weeks worth of baking and frozen it and people are having leftover lunches as I have had gastric surgery and cant eat much so there is always alot of leftovers as my mind still thinks I need to make more. I have never thought of the milk powder for baking I of course do have a bread maker so have dusted that off and because I had milk powder for that so I will use that next time I do some baking I dont suppose someone could tell me the ratio for making milk for it as I have it in a container so do not have the directions.

holly-rocks, Jan 19, 5:09am
Proper mint tea is so nice isn't it :)...its also super yum if you use fresh leaves. If you take a few cuttings and put them in a glass of water, they will grow roots and in about 3 weeks you will have free plants.

Lemon balm makes a really yummy refreshing tea too ( Melissa Tea )..its nice and easy to grow, just like mint.

vintagekitty, Jan 19, 5:11am
I dont have any $ saving tips except grow fruit and vegies, they taste great and save $ in the long run

lilyfield, Jan 19, 5:18am
ratio for making milk for it as I have it in a container so do not have the directions.

its 100 grams to the liter.

and you do not have to add milk to your bread making.Tastes all right without,and saves calories

kuaka, Jan 19, 8:27am
Hmmm, well I have tried powdered milk, but to be honest, I just don't like the taste of it.I am a tea drinker in epic proportions, and I like my tea strong (sorry, I can't get two cups out of one tea bag - I can't use them a second time round) and I like calci-trim milk.I notice our local supermarket has "trim" powdered milk, but not calci-trim.Can anyone tell me if "calci-trim" powdered milk is available?

As for buying at the butcher or veg shop instead of the supermarket, yes, all well and good.Our nearest butcher or veg shop is 30km away, so not a saving in any shape or form.

I go to the supermarket as little as possible, and always stock up large when there is a good special on (tea bags, meat etc) and avoid the place the rest of the time. I find having a really big shop twice a month sees us pretty well right most of the time, and if I run out of something (rarely happens) I prefer to go to the local Four Square shop for a small top up rather than risking a trip to the stupidmarket.

motorbo, Jan 19, 9:02am
i bought some frozen calamari a tube is a dollar and one was plenty for my dinner with vege!!

fastlanenz, Jan 19, 6:12pm
I have never tried drinking milk made up from powdered milk, just never thought of it to be honest!Before GST increased, I did a big shop to store some of the basics like flour, sugar, rice bran oil, butter, cheese, milk powder etc ... which has been a bonus on our food bills ever since.The milk powder was $7.99 for 1 kilo, and on the pack it says that it makes up 8 litres of milk, so that's just under $2 for 2 litres, compared to $3.89 on special at the time, now $4.29 for a 2 litre bottle.I do thin the mix out a bit more sometimes, depending on which baking I'm doing, and I mix it up before adding to other ingredients.

lythande1, Jan 19, 7:44pm
Woolworths?! The place isn't cheap at all.
Veges and fruit - vege stalls, cheap markets - NOT farmers markets. Meat - bulk buy, I use various, Aussie Butcher, some Asian places, got 3 chooks for $10 the other day at Pak N Save. I spend about $200 3 or 4 times a year on meat. Cats - Jimbos - I buy the uncut meat - especially horsemeat as it's way cheaper. Direct from them, not the minced stuff in the supermarkets. They get cat biscuits to supplement to make up for any nutrient deficiencies.
Cleaning products - minimal, you don't really need loads of different ones. And bulk buy. I transfer into smaller containers.
Bulk washing liquid and I buy washing powder at the Warehouse - $12 for 5KG, loo paper 40 rolls for $10.
Make things from scratch, no packets or jars or ready made anything. tastes better too.
Flour and stuff - place up in Silverdale, they do all the baking stuff dirt cheap. I don't bake except for muffins now and then and bread. No cake or biscuits really.
Stuff like soya suace and so on - asian supermarket in New Lynn. 99c for 1.5l of soya sauce. As an example.
I do go to pak n save but not for everything. Woolworths - bleh.
I make jam, plum sauce, tomato relish and pickled onions. Don't do desserts so don't bother with other preserves. Husband makes his own beer. Which worked out great for the pickles etc , i keep jars etc- plastic lids fine, because I sterilise with his sterilising solution instead. Easy, no worries about melting lids etc and I never get any mold or fermentation problems.
And we buy that stuff bulk (500g at a time) too. Online.
You just need to look around when you're out, who has what at what price.
If you aren't near a bulk butcher, ask your local. I found down SOuth if you buy bulk meat ignore the prices listed, they will discount for larger purchases. And if you have a big enough freezer, buy a whole animal and get it cut up. One sheep is enough to last us months but I had a neighbour who would get 1/2 cow done. About $5 a kilo it worked out too. She'd all all the nice stuff and then give me the stewing steak and mince. Silly woman, I made loads of meals with all that stuff.

lilyfield, Jan 19, 7:53pm
lythande- you got it sussed.excactly how I lived until the family left home. I compliment you

uli, Jan 19, 9:49pm
I had to use powdered milk in the tropics - never ever again!

Whoever thinks that powdered milk tastes the same as fresh milk has either severe problems with their taste buds - or never tasted real milk....

Nowadays I much rather have no milk than that cr@p. In fact most of the time I make do with a bit of cream instead of milk. Cheaper too.

And for the idea that it "never goes off" - see above - your taste buds need a very severe re-adjusting.

uli, Jan 19, 9:55pm
That is what I thought - until I found out exactly which time I need to be there in morning for all the down priced stuff to be out.

Mind you I hardly buy anything from the middle aisles (so are right there anything boxed or packaged or tinned may be more expensive) - I usually go for extra veges or fruit that I have not got in my garden or freezer at present - and you cannot beat woolworths for any absolutely fresh - but down priced - stuff.

While Pak'n'Save will have rotting mushrooms in those down priced bags - everything at woolworths is really fresh - the only reason they down priced it was that they got another load in at their back door - that needs to go onto the shelves straight away - and everything that was on the shelves for full price 1 hour ago - is now magically - half price or less...

Try and find out their schedule it is very worth it!

davidt4, Jan 19, 10:11pm
I once bought powdered milk for a particular pastry recipe and I was really shocked by its rancid smell, even when the bag was newly opened.I can remember as a child we would take milk powder when we had camping holidays in far flung beaches, and although it didn't taste anything like real milk it was perfectly pleasant.

I suppose the processing is different these days, or maybe I have a better sense of smell than I had as a child.

greerg, Jan 19, 10:42pm
Cream $2+ for 300 mls, milk #2+ for 1 litre.How is cream cheaper than milk?

uli, Jan 19, 10:50pm
Because you use less -
why?
Because it has more fat!
:)
Try it out!

greerg, Jan 19, 10:56pm
Depends on whether fat is the only food constituent you believe has value I guess.

uli, Jan 19, 11:05pm
Well milk and cream have mostly the same composition - so why buy the "watered down version" - when you can have the "condensed version"?

When I was milking our Jersey cow I used to have three quarters of a bottle full of cream and the bottom few cm's was milk - and how great that tasted :)

I guess that would be "real milk" - even in your books greerg?
So why water it down?

valentino, Jan 19, 11:35pm
Noted the post of lythande1, find that fish esp inhouse smoked warehou at Scotts ($16.95 a kilo - only need say about 100 to 150g per person), plus other fish at other shops can be more economically bought than most meats, must be better for various ones.... and with meats, stir frys, noddle combinations reduces amount of meat needed as the juices and flavour of meats intermingle nicely in these dishes.

Also re cleaning, buy bulk especially like K-Clean from Kemsol at the Auckland Airport Oaks is $24 for 5 litres and lasts a very long time - ideal for polished floors; Artec from Kemsol is $29.70 - great for showers, baths, tiles, mainly hard water areas or Zest from Advance - same purpose as Artec at $33.46 all for 5 litres then there is Crossfire from Advance International cleaning in Penrose on Gt Sth Rd near Church St, superb stuff $23.20, a real supercleaner for everything, only a wee bit and cuts through all fats, grime etc and lasts from 6 months to 9 months depending on use but saves heaps instead of buying various ones to do the same job - very economical in long term use. Oh all prices plus GST.

And yes, re fresh veges, pays to go that extra mile of travel to get better veges and fruits and at better prices.

Hopes this will help some.

Cheers.

elliehen, Jan 20, 12:11am
When you are feeding children, you can hardly keep the milk jug full before it's empty again.

The poster was asking for 'budget' advice, not for where to find the most upmarket deli in Auckland ;)

elliehen, Jan 20, 12:25am
rainbowpride, don't be put off by a few negative comments about the milk.

Some oldies forget (when they only have themselves to feed) that feeding one or two ageing mouths is not the same as week-in and week-out providing for a hungry family.