Freezing plums, Jam, Mere male here help

paddypf, Jan 16, 4:41am
I have been getting bags of red flesh plums every day before the birds get them, way more than we can eat before they all ripen. Question?? Can I freeze them as they are by chucking them in a supermarket bag and just throwing them in the freezer and will they be any good for jam or something once frozen? Has anybody got a plum jam recepie that is fool proof (that even I could make it ) that is not too sweet as most homemade jam I have tried seems overly sweet. Cheers for any help.

raewyn64, Jan 16, 4:53am
Hi there
We had a tree that produced heaps of plums and that was all I could do.I rinsed them then bagged them and threw them into the freezer - I bagged in approx 1kg lots.
I didn't jam them, I used them later as stewed plums where I just put a bag of them into a bowl (out of the bag) and into the microwave for about 8 minutes then yum. The rest I have bottled and will use the same way.

I did use freezer bags and used a tie to seal the bag up so that they didn't spill out or get freezer burn.

jessie981, Jan 16, 5:18am
I have recipies, however easier for you to go into l/h message board & put what you want. Then where it says date posted put anytime. recipies there.

If you are going to freeze, best to 'free flow' then freeze so they don't stick in a lump.

cgvl, Jan 16, 7:38am
hey paddypf, I throw (well put) the plums into a perserving pan or large pot (measure them first) and bring to boil skins, stones and all. When they have become mush I put them into 2litre ice cream containers or similar and label. (1.5kg plums for jam) or you could use marge containers and label for stewing.
When I am ready to make jam I bring the plums (1.5kg) to the boil and add 750g sugar and bring back to a rolling boil until ready to set, then bottle.
Add less sugar if you want a slightly tarter jam more if sweeter.

For the marge container ones that I want to use as stewed fruit or desserts, I bring to boil and sweeten to taste.

books4nz, Jan 17, 12:29am
They'll be fine in a bag and frozen - weigh them beforehand, so you know there's x amount of plums in a bag, so they can be used for y recipe - jam, sauce, chutney, etc.

greerg, Jan 17, 1:06am
Both plum chutney and plum sauce are lovely and red-fleshed plums are the best for both of these as they give a lovely colour. They are both fine made with frozen plums.I stone the plums before freezing as I find that preferable to skimming the stones off when the sauce is cooked.
PLUM CHUTNEY
2 kg plums (preferably dark), 1 kg onions,1 kg apples, 1200 mls vinegar, 1 kg diced dates, raisins, sultanas, etc., 2 tbspns common salt, 2 teasp ginger, 2 teasp ground allspice, 2 pinches grated nutmeg, 2 pinches ground cloves, 1 kg sugar.
Wash and stone plums and cut in half.Peel and chop onions and apples.Place in a pan with ½ vinegar and cook until soft.Chop dried fruit and add with salt and spices.Continue cooking until thick.Stir in sugar and rest of vinegar.Simmer until mixture thickens again.Bottle.
PLUM SAUCE
2.8 kgs plums halved and stoned, 230 grms onions, 6 dspns salt, 28 grms cloves, 1.4 kgs sugar, 1.8 litres vinegar, 2 teasp ginger, 1 teasp pepper
Boil together for about 1½ hours.Mouli, allow to become completely cold then bottle.

darlingmole, Jan 17, 3:06am
yum greerg~!I'm thinking I'll give that recipe for the plum chutney sounds super delish and will give it a go ... thanks for sharing

paddypf, Jan 16, 4:41am
I have been getting bags of red flesh plums every day before the birds get them, way more than we can eat before they all ripen. Question! Can I freeze them as they are by chucking them in a supermarket bag and just throwing them in the freezer and will they be any good for jam or something once frozen! Has anybody got a plum jam recepie that is fool proof (that even I could make it ) that is not too sweet as most homemade jam I have tried seems overly sweet. Cheers for any help.

raewyn64, Jan 16, 4:53am
Hi there
We had a tree that produced heaps of plums and that was all I could do.I rinsed them then bagged them and threw them into the freezer - I bagged in approx 1kg lots.
I didn't jam them, I used them later as stewed plums where I just put a bag of them into a bowl (out of the bag) and into the microwave for about 8 minutes then yum. The rest I have bottled and will use the same way.

I did use freezer bags and used a tie to seal the bag up so that they didn't spill out or get freezer burn.

jessie981, Jan 16, 5:18am
I have recipies, however easier for you to go into l/h message board & put what you want. Then where it says date posted put anytime. recipies there.

If you are going to freeze, best to 'free flow' then freeze so they don't stick in a lump.

books4nz, Jan 17, 12:29am
They'll be fine in a bag and frozen - weigh them beforehand, so you know there's x amount of plums in a bag, so they can be used for y recipe - jam, sauce, chutney, etc.

darlingmole, Jan 17, 3:06am
yum greerg~!I'm thinking I'll give that recipe for the plum chutney sounds super delish and will give it a go . thanks for sharing

bev00, Jan 17, 11:45am
heaps of plums to put to good use

accroul, Jan 17, 10:09pm
I stewed heaps a couple of years ago & froze it in 2L ice-cream containers. Now I can make plum jam out of season!

daleaway, Jan 17, 10:13pm
If you make a stiffish plum jam, you can add port wine - about a wineglass full per kilo of fruit - after it has finished cooking and just before you put it into jars.
Gives an interesting flavour, and cuts some of the sweetness too.