Easiest cake in the world recipe please!

Page 1 / 3
brummoi, Jan 16, 12:53am
Sad male here. It's my turn to bring a cake into work tomorrow. My partner usually directs things with military precision but she's away. I'm looking for something that I just mix and chuck in the oven and that never fails. I have a couple of bananas (not soft really), carrots, ground ginger so was thinking something along those lines but all suggestions gratefully received! Only one egg in the cupboard...

jessie981, Jan 16, 1:03am
Got any cocoa? got an easy recipe for Choc cake & Choc slice.

jessie981, Jan 16, 1:05am
Off Google

Quick Banana cake
This is a very easy to make banana cake recipe that even the laziest of cooks out there can throw together in just a few minutes.

l
Recipe ingredients
125 g Butter
1 Egg
1 tsp Vanilla
2 very ripe Bananas
¼ cup Milk
¾ cup Sugar
1½ cups Self-raising flour
Cooking Steps
Melt butter, sugar and vanilla together in a saucepan. Cool mixture when done.

In a separate bowl, add the bananas and stir until blended.

Add the egg, mix in well and stir in the flour.

Now add the milk and lightly mix.

Bake at 170 °C for about 40 minutes or until cooked.

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 1:09am
if you have yoghurt try the yoghurt cake i made or someone might have a variation

2cups highgrade flour or self raising(just dont add baking powder)
3tsp baking powder(if using high grade and not self raising)
2 small tubs or 2 cups of yoghurt any flavour
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar

Method use oil to grease the cake tin then line with paper, Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl then add the sugar,yogurt and egg mix to a batter and then add to cake tin into an oven at 180c cook until skewer comes out clean or risen and goldern and firm to the touch with no wobble

brummoi, Jan 16, 1:22am
No cocoa but I like the look of the youghurt cake so will go with that. Thanks for the awesome help!

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 1:23am
lemme know how it goes because i gave it a go the first time a few days ago lol

brummoi, Jan 16, 1:26am
how long roughly should this take please?

brummoi, Jan 16, 1:27am
did it work out?

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 1:34am
it did work out it was a nice subtle sweet cake and it took about an 1hr there abouts lol when i am baking i dont really pay attention to the time until its in the oven or the fridge

brummoi, Jan 16, 1:35am
cool! I'll give it a go and report back

jessie981, Jan 16, 1:43am
Poke a skewer or knitting needle in the middle after approx 30 mins. If it comes out clean ready, if still sticky, keep testing regularly.

buzzy110, Jan 16, 1:57am
And remember than long and low (temp that is) makes a better cake than fast and high (temp once again). It comes out even, instead of unsightly risings in places you don't want.

brummoi, Jan 16, 2:35am
Yikes! Nowhere near mixing to a batter - more like a gluggy mass that stopped the beater blades from turning! Have checked quantities and all correct. I've also added a splash of oil and milk just to loosen it up a bit and am mixing it with a wooden spoon. Do you think it will still be OK?

brummoi, Jan 16, 3:13am
Well, it's in the oven and looking strangely white and starting to bubble like one of the thicker mud pools in Rotorua!

mazzy1, Jan 16, 3:28am
Next time - give this a go, courtesy of evorotorua. Even I managed not to stuff it up!! You can leave the chocolate part out and substitute blueberries or whatever you have.

*Banana Chocolate Yogurt Cake
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yogurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt. Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note, I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yogurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller cake tins or even as muffins.* In my oven it took an hour and 10 minutes.*

Good luck with yours though........

brummoi, Jan 16, 3:51am
The cake has left the oven! It's very pointy but otherwise looking good and smelling even better so thanks to t.gypsy and everyone else!

One last question - a few bits of the paper used to line the tin have stuck to the cake. Is there an easy way to get them off without gouging holes in the cake?

brummoi, Jan 16, 3:53am
Thanks for the suggestion, mazzy - I could get into this baking malarkey!

t.gypsy, Jan 16, 4:20am
that i am still to figure out lol i had similar problem and thank goodness it turned out have you tasted it..

elliehen, Jan 16, 4:34am
Don't worry if your cake is a bit pointy - your workmates will know it's not a store-bought one and appreciate it more for the 'malarkey' you got up to ;)

brummoi, Jan 16, 4:35am
haven't tasted it yet - that happens tomorrow. As far as the paper being stuck, a closer look makes me think I was too skimpy with the paper and the mix got under it so it's now part of the cake! No worries though and thanks again

buzzy110, Jan 16, 6:05am
Your tyro efforts in the kitchen have made me smile today. Thank you for the smile and I'm sure, if gypsy says the recipe works, then it will taste good, whatever it looks like. Who knows? Even the paper may taste OK.

brummoi, Jan 23, 12:07am
Ha! The cake was a success and colleagues kindly agreed to nibble around the few bits of paper. I'm feeling even prouder today as I've also just done the Edmonds banana cake all by myself!

lythande1, Jan 23, 12:29am
The thing with baking is you do have to be fairly precise. No messing with amounts and times and such. Or it fails. Like mixing cement really - the mix needs to be right .
Whereas cooking you can wildly vary a recipe and get away with it.
Probably why I hate baking.

brummoi, Jan 23, 1:05am
yeah, that will be a problem for me too - I think I'm genetically predisposed to treat all recipes as a guide only no matter what the warning!

yelraehsat, Jan 23, 6:23am
This is a real easy loaf recipe.
Easy 5 Cup Loaf
1 cup self-raising flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup sultanas
1 cup milk
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
Pour into tin.
Bake in 180' oven40-45 minutes
Enjoy!